• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

Marvel's first 3 movies were (along with domestic box office):

Iron Man $318 million

Incredible Hulk $134 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts?

Iron Man was indeed a blockbuster.

It made that $318 million domestic on a $140 million budget.

To match it with its reported $175 million budget (low by today's superhero tentpole standards) Suicide Squad will have to make $397.50 million domestic.

Given the critical reviews thus far, I'd wager that's incredibly unlikely.

Batman v. Superman made only $330.4 million domestic, for instance.

While Deadpool, which cost more than $120 million _less_ to produce than Suicide Squad and was a hit with critics _and_ the public, only made $363 million domestic.

Does anyone here, in this mecca of hardcore comic geeks, honestly believe (as of today) that Suicide Squad will out-gross Deadpool domestically?

I might have read into the "juggernaut" statement something that wasn't there. Iron Man indeed did well. It was #2 domestically the year it came out and #5 internationally. It agree it was a blockbuster.

As to your Deadpool question, no Suicide Squad won't top it domestically. It has a shot of coming close internationally, but that is probably a stretch.

Edited by rjrjr

Saw it last night and liked it. Enjoyable and fun movie. The bad guys get to be good guys and the good guys prove to be not much different when everyone has to confront a common enemy. The "it's the end of the world if we don't do this" plot is getting overused in these movies. Time to find a different theme or plot device.

DC's problem right now is that BvS and SS are based on the initial vision for their cinematic universe, which is not connecting with the broader movie-going audience.

This just isn't true though. BvS made quite a bit of money for a movie that didn't connect with audiences. Is it possible it did connect and critics didn't like it? And it sold a ton of BluRays too. If JLA fails next summer, then I'll agree with you. Until then, this is no different than Marvel when they built their Cinema Universe, except Marvel's movies got better ratings.

I'll bet SS does just fine.

Why does it bug people that the DC movies are doing fine financially? Because critics didn't like it? If SS is DC's 3rd movie in their DCCU, I'll bet it matches up just fine to Marvel's 3rd movie which was IM2. Not exactly a movie that set the world on fire.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the people that liked BvS much better than Civil War, but the fact that BvS did not crack $1B at the box office tells you all that you need to know about how well it is connecting with the broader movie-going audience. I expect that WB/DCCU learned their lessons and will apply that to their movies going forward.

WRT critics, do they really matter anymore?

I am happy that the DC movies are doing well financially, but I would like to see one top a Marvel box office to watch the heads spin on some of the haters here on the boards. lol

Give DC time. Marvel didn't have the huge breakout blockbuster until their 6th movie. Marvel had to learn what worked and didn't work as they went as well.

This is true but it is also true that Marvel is playing with one hand tied behind its back (not having access to its top tier and most famous characters and titles) which is what makes what they are accomplishing cinenamatically that much more impressive and truly remarkable.

And what makes the recent failures of Warner and DC (with their most famous and marquee characters ) that much more inexcusable, glaring and downright pathetic. It really does look like they either don't know what they are doing , or are just going for quick first weekend cash grabs with great marketing of inferior product.

-J.

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

Iron Man $318 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

To match it with its reported $175 million budget (low by today's superhero tentpole standards) Suicide Squad will have to make $397.50 million domestic.

While Deadpool, which cost more than $120 million _less_ to produce than Suicide Squad and was a hit with critics _and_ the public, only made $363 million domestic.

Does anyone here, in this mecca of hardcore comic geeks, honestly believe (as of today) that Suicide Squad will out-gross Deadpool domestically?

So, now we are comparing Suicide Squad to the one superhero movie that has been an outlier? If we compared the Marvel movies to Deadpool, all of Marvel's movies did worse too, because Deadpool's cost to revenue is incredible for a superhero movie.

No - we're comparing Suicide Squad to Iron Man 1, since RJRJR included it among his claim that the early Marvel movies weren't juggernauts.

I appreciate that he's since responded and walked that back a tad, but my point was:

For SS to even equal Iron Man, it would have to do $397 million. Fat chance, given that neither BvS nor Deadpool came anywhere close to that.

gonna have to wait two weeks to see this... but i'm excited regardless of reviews... okay some of the marvel movies are better then others, but i have enjoyed most... the newest x-men movie was ... but watching quicksilver in action was awesome... the extended BvS was really good... my take away of the Martha stuff was... its a comic movie, you have to get the good guys on the same side somehow... and that's about as comic-book as it gets... as for SS ... sure i wish HQ wore the old suit and talked like she did in the cartoon... but hey whatever lol... she talks like that as my ringtone... so yea!... still want to see it...

oh yeah... the new FF movie was mess

:whee:

I agree on the x=men movie and how good the Quicksilver scene was. too bad that wasn't enough

Just got back from seeing it.

I'm done with DC in the theatre. I can wait til redbox.

I was completely bored during this movie. I wouldn't have missed a thing if I never saw it.

Who knows if it was the reshoots that did it, but all the parts that were supposed to be funny fell flat and seemed contrived. Barely any audience reaction during a mostly packed showing.

And batman has no problem taking superman down, but a 12 year old girl is the only thing that saved him from deadshot?! Whatever

Leto's Joker wasn't nearly as bad as Eisenberg's Luthor, but it wasn't much better.

DC's problem right now is that BvS and SS are based on the initial vision for their cinematic universe, which is not connecting with the broader movie-going audience.

This just isn't true though. BvS made quite a bit of money for a movie that didn't connect with audiences. Is it possible it did connect and critics didn't like it? And it sold a ton of BluRays too. If JLA fails next summer, then I'll agree with you. Until then, this is no different than Marvel when they built their Cinema Universe, except Marvel's movies got better ratings.

Why does it bug people that the DC movies are doing fine financially? Because critics didn't like it? If SS is DC's 3rd movie in their DCCU, I'll bet it matches up just fine to Marvel's 3rd movie which was IM2. Not exactly a movie that set the world on fire.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the people that liked BvS much better than Civil War, but the fact that BvS did not crack $1B at the box office tells you all that you need to know about how well it is connecting with the broader movie-going audience. I expect that WB/DCCU learned their lessons and will apply that to their movies going forward.

I am happy that the DC movies are doing well financially, but I would like to see one top a Marvel box office to watch the heads spin on some of the haters here on the boards. lol

Give DC time. Marvel didn't have the huge breakout blockbuster until their 6th movie. Marvel had to learn what worked and didn't work as they went as well.

This is true but it is also true that Marvel is playing with one hand tied behind its back (not having access to its top tier and most famous characters and titles) which is what makes what they are accomplishing cinenamatically that much more impressive and truly remarkable.

And what makes the recent failures of Warner and DC (with their most famous and marquee characters ) that much more inexcusable, glaring and downright pathetic. It really does look like they either don't know what they are doing , or are just going for quick first weekend cash grabs with great marketing of inferior product.

-J.

+1, the relentless hype and then finding out they've got nothing is infuriating.

Edited by paperheart

...really, some criticism is fine but...here's an idea, why not sit back and enjoy these movies for what they are...entertaining popcorn movies.

Loved it for what it was- a comic book movie. Had a blast and going again to watch with my Wife this week.

I think it is pretty funny that some of the harshest fan criticism I've read online seems to be written by folks trying to sound more intelligent than they are. 2c

Happy Saturday!

:banana: Chris

Iron Man $318 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts? I think you are looking at Marvel's current success and thinking all their movies made bank. They didn't. The next two movies, Thor and Captain America didn't set the world on fire either:

Thor $181 million

Captain America: The First Avenger $176 million

It wouldn't be until Avengers, Marvel's 6th cinema universe movie that they started making a lot.

I suspect Suicide Squad will make more domestically than Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America even when they are adjusted for inflation. In the first week alone it might pass all 3.

Marvel's first big hit was The Avengers after they were acquired by Disney. Just imagine if WB didn't own DC, had a tighter budget & was split among multiple studios like Marvel. I don't think their movies would be doing as well as they currently are under those circumstances either.

Had Disney bought Marvel back in the late 90's, things would have turned out very differently. DC hasn't had the same handicaps & their superheroes have been well know worldwide for many years. On the other hand, Suicide Squad like GOTG, was virtually unknown to the general public. It will be interesting to see how well it does & seems to be off to a great start.

It really doesn't matter how many movies DCEU or MCU has under their belt, it's the quality of the movies that are important. If DC came out with just 1 movie that blew The Avengers out of the water, there would be no question of quantity. Since they haven't, it's the same old excuse that the DCEU is just starting off. That is BS, IMO DC has all the factors to make things work & they just haven't done it as well as Marvel yet.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad much more than BvS & even though I have the ultimate edition, after about 10 mins of watching it, I started to pass out. I just couldn't muster up the focus to spend 3 hours to see the 30 mins of deleted scenes. Maybe down the road some time. I would certainly watch Suicide Squad again though & since IM 1, I've watched most Marvel films multiple times.

I've even seen Man of Steel at least 2 times, but seeing BvS 2 times in theaters has soured me on the film I guess, as I generally prefer watching superhero movies at home after they're released on DVD/BluRay. I only saw Civil War once in theater & I'm anxiously waiting to watch it again at home.

-J.

True enough re: X-Men and Spider-Man, but if Marvel did not cut those deals back in the day who would own them now?

Fox has done fine with the X-franchise so far, and the FF has not been a relevant comic book since the early 70s so they are not missing much there. Marvel has access to Spidey now so it will be interesting to see if they can match the first two Sony Spider-Man movies in quality. If not, that will be a huge whiff (I think they have whiffed with the actor already personally, but will give the movie a chance).

Right now DC's issue is that they gave the reigns to Snyder to the DCCU and his vision is not connecting. Doing a change in direction with WW and JL will give them a chance to make up for it.

I haven't seen it, and not sure if I will, but am wondering if it will be like BvS on DVD. Apparently the dvd version that was cut differently with added scenes is considered much better than the theater version, so it's possible that the SS movie might follow the same route, where the editing has been all worked out, with a different version on dvd, that might of made it better had it been the one in theaters.

I'm rooting for DCEU as I enjoy dark/serious super hero movies.

I wonder if the pro-SS on this thread have some BA12 or DC keys left to move and the anti-SS either sold theirs or never jumped on the DC band wagon

Disclaimer: I sold most of my DC books

Man, I hope people are not liking or disliking movies based on which comic books they own. That would be pathetic.

Gawd.

On the same token, all of the rabid fanboys who went on a brigade against B vs. S, and now are doing the same thing with this Suicide Squad movie....

...really, some criticism is fine but...here's an idea, why not sit back and enjoy these movies for what they are...entertaining popcorn movies.

I haven't seen the SS movie yet and this is my first time posting in this thread.

But what if they're actually just not good movies, or not as good as you hope, or nit as good as they could be. There's a million choices for movies now. If I leave the theatre and wish I'd spent the money on something else, doesn't seem unreasonable to let people know about it.

I am not going into see a comic book movie with the expectation it will be anything besides what it is...a popcorn movie, which it is.

A comic book movie, by its' very nature and subject matter, is not supposed to be a searing tale of human drama.It is not supposed to be comparable to a Scorcese movie.

A comic book movie is not Mississipi Burning.... The Hurt Locker... Silver Linings Playbook....The Machinist.

A comic book movie is not about loss,love, redemption, the horrors of man's inhumanity to one another and so on.

A comic book movie is a popcorn movie.

------------------------

Watch a comic book movie with the this mindset, as Paperheart posted, and you will likely not enjoy yourself:

"+1, the relentless hype and then finding out they've got nothing is infuriating."

-Edited by paperheart ( 29 minutes 25 seconds ago)

------------------------

Or............ you can watch a comic book movie, with the following mindset as another posted offered up, and you likely will enjoy yourself:

Loved it for what it was- a comic book movie. Had a blast and going again to watch with my Wife this week.

I think it is pretty funny that some of the harshest fan criticism I've read online seems to be written by folks trying to sound more intelligent than they are. 2c

Happy Saturday!

:banana: Chris

I haven't seen it, and not sure if I will, but am wondering if it will be like BvS on DVD. Apparently the dvd version that was cut differently with added scenes is considered much better than the theater version, so it's possible that the SS movie might follow the same route, where the editing has been all worked out, with a different version on dvd, that might of made it better had it been the one in theaters.

I'm not sure how accurate that information is, as Ayer already made his stance clear.

David Ayer Takes Responsibility for ‘Suicide Squad’: “This Is My Cut”

For his part, however, Ayer is standing by his movie. In a recent interview, he insisted that “the released movie is my cut,” though we can probably still expect to see some deleted scenes when Suicide Squad finally makes its way to home video.

Chatting with Collider, Ayer acknowledged that while plenty of footage was left on the cutting room floor, the final theatrical edit is his cut:

"We have a chunk, there’s definitely over 10 minutes of material on there. But this cut of the movie is my cut, there’s no sort of parallel universe version of the movie, the released movie is my cut. And that’s one of the toughest things about writing, shooting, and directing a film, is you end up with these orphans and you love them and you think they’d be amazing scenes and do these amazing things but the film is a dictatorship (laughs), not a democracy, and just because something’s cool and charismatic doesn’t mean it gets to survive in the final cut. The flow of the movie is the highest master."

But why can't it be good?

Superman

Superman 2

Batman

Batman Returns

Blade

Spider-Man

Blade 2

Spider-Man 2

Batman Begins

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Road to Perdition

A History of Violence

The Avengers

The Winter Soldier

Civil War

Ghost World

Hellboy

Hellboy 2

X-Men

X-Men 2

X-Men: First Class

Days of Future Past

Ghost in the Shell

Men in Black

We should be allowed to complain about bad comic movies (for me, especially Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Superman v. Batman, and Jonah Hex) precisely _because_ we've seen so many done so very very well.

It's not that hard to do.

And to hide behind "it's just a comic book movie" or "we should just count ourselves lucky to see these characters brought to screen at all" is a tired cop-out of an excuse.

I'll even defend Watchmen. That movie didn't fail commercially because it was bad; it failed because the subject matter just didn't resonate with the public at large. For fans of the comic, it was a superb adaptation that actually improved on the source material (by excising the ridiculous squid).

Heck, if Netflix can prove a Daredevil TV show could work and Disney can knock it out of the park with flippin' Guardians of the Galaxy, it shouldn't be that hard for DC to kill it with its shared universe.

But why can't it be good?

Superman

Superman 2

Batman

Batman Returns

Blade

Spider-Man

Blade 2

Spider-Man 2

Batman Begins

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Road to Perdition

A History of Violence

The Avengers

The Winter Soldier

Civil War

Ghost World

Hellboy

Hellboy 2

X-Men

X-Men 2

X-Men: First Class

Days of Future Past

Ghost in the Shell

Men in Black

We should be allowed to complain about bad comic movies (for me, especially Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Superman v. Batman, and Jonah Hex) precisely _because_ we've seen so many done so very very well.

It's not that hard to do.

And to hide behind "it's just a comic book movie" or "we should just count ourselves lucky to see these characters brought to screen at all" is a tired cop-off of an excuse.

Heck, if Netflix can prove a Daredevil TV show could work and Disney can knock it out of the park with flippin' Guardians of the Galaxy, it shouldn't be that hard for DC to kill it with its shared universe.

You forgot...

- Crow, The

- Kick-

- Kingsman

- Sin City

- V For Vendetta

- Wolverine, The

Iron Man $318 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

I might have read into the "juggernaut" statement something that wasn't there. Iron Man indeed did well. It was #2 domestically the year it came out and #5 internationally. It agree it was a blockbuster.

As to your Deadpool question, no Suicide Squad won't top it domestically. It has a shot of coming close internationally, but that is probably a stretch.

Juggernaut is probably the wrong word. I should have something like success. It just seems to be that Marvel got it together faster and better then what I am seeing from DC.