• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

And I think Suicide Squad's got another solid 10 days at the theater.

Sully's the only major release next weekend, but it's going to get a massive drop in theater screens on the 16th with the release of Blair Witch, Bridget Jones and Snowden.

But that puts it, at best at ~$316 million domestic or so.

No way that's not a success, as it's within spitting distance of BvS.

I've heard from some industry types that the budget on the film was closer to $225MM (including extensive re-shoots and post-production) with another ~$175MM spent on a nearly year long, non-stop marketing campaign. If this is correct , that would put Warners investment at about $400MM and it would explain why they still are not crowing, even at the prospect of a $700MM total gross, and continue to remain mum on sequels, spinoffs and whatever.

-J.

Was this before or after the Hollywood party you were attending?

:baiting:

Meanwhile, David Ayer thanking people at $600MM says something about reality where this film needed to land.

bW4vYAd.png

Although I realize this is your 'stomp my foot' protest towards roulette44.

(:

And I think Suicide Squad's got another solid 10 days at the theater.

Sully's the only major release next weekend, but it's going to get a massive drop in theater screens on the 16th with the release of Blair Witch, Bridget Jones and Snowden.

But that puts it, at best at ~$316 million domestic or so.

No way that's not a success, as it's within spitting distance of BvS.

All thing's considered , it is absolutely a success (relatively). The success was certainly bought and paid for at a high price tag, but the fact that Warner was even able to overcome all those scathing reviews is remarkable.

-J.

I've heard from some industry types that the budget on the film was closer to $225MM (including extensive re-shoots and post-production) with another ~$175MM spent on a nearly year long, non-stop marketing campaign. If this is correct , that would put Warners investment at about $400MM and it would explain why they still are not crowing, even at the prospect of a $700MM total gross, and continue to remain mum on sequels, spinoffs and whatever.

-J.

Meanwhile, David Ayer thanking people at $600MM says something about reality where this film needed to land.

bW4vYAd.png

(:

:whistle:

-J.

-J.

bW4vYAd.png

(:

-J.

Everyone needs a hobby.

lol

:foryou:

All thing's considered , it is absolutely a success (relatively). The success was certainly bought and paid for at a high price tag, but the fact that Warner was even able to overcome all those scathing reviews is remarkable.

-J.

Unfortunately due to Chinese government restrictions, we will not see how much more it could have achieved in that market.

How much did that Chinese box office banning take out of the pie for Suicide Squad?

Suicide Squad Passes Guardians of the Galaxy's Foreign Box Office (Minus China)

Guardians of the Galaxy made a total foreign box office gross of $440,135,799. Taking out the $96,470,000 from China leaves $343,665,799.

Suicide Squad's foreign total stands at $375,500,000 (as of 9/4).

Regarding why China banned Suicide Squad, it may have something to do with the fact that the villain of Suicide Squad was Enchantress. China doesn't allow movies to be played that feature witches, spirits, ghosts, etc, and that was also the reason Ghostbusters wasn't allowed in China.

Suicide Squad box offfice:

Domestic: $297,422,209

Foreign: $375,500,000

Worldwide: $672,922,209

Ouch!

I'm not sure you can blame the Chinese government. They are a huge piece of the world pie, and they are restrictive, but not arbitrarily so. Warner chose this movie and this -script KNOWING it probably wouldn't have been released in China but went forward anyway, much like deadpool and fox. The ban was foreseeable, much like an R rating or choosing a -script that couldn't be executed properly in less than 3 hours (b v s).

DC has taken the approach of not making movies to appeal to the broadest possible audience, which is fine. But there is a cost, which is that the movies don't appeal to the broadest possible audience.

I'm not sure you can blame the Chinese government. They are a huge piece of the world pie, and they are restrictive, but not arbitrarily so. Warner chose this movie and this -script KNOWING it probably wouldn't have been released in China but went forward anyway, much like deadpool and fox. The ban was foreseeable, much like an R rating or choosing a -script that couldn't be executed properly in less than 3 hours (b v s).

DC has taken the approach of not making movies to appeal to the broadest possible audience, which is fine. But there is a cost, which is that the movies don't appeal to the broadest possible audience.

Not blame China's leaders for being afraid of witchcraft and Japanese flag symbolism in a movie? Interesting.

Not blame China's leaders for being afraid of witchcraft and Japanese flag symbolism in a movie? Interesting.

lol

If they just would have focused more on Waller's oppression of normal citizens, China would have been there with bells on.

Not at all.

China and Japan _hate_ each other and have for more than a century, having fought two major wars in addition to countless other territorial conflicts.

They're basically the two major powers in East Asia, and between 1850-1950 each tried to annex the rest of the surrounding countries every decade or so.

lol

If they just would have focused more on Waller's oppression of normal citizens, China would have been there with bells on.

lol

35ch1y1.png

lol

subjecting this garbage to the Chinese population would have pushed the planet closer to WWIII

Not at all.

China and Japan _hate_ each other and have for more than a century, having fought two major wars in addition to countless other territorial conflicts.

They're basically the two major powers in East Asia, and between 1850-1950 each tried to annex the rest of the surrounding countries every decade or so.

Rather than this boiling down to a thread about world powers and political control of people (we know where that will go), let's take this back to a situation where a market with much restrictions leads to studios having to be extra cautious what they release.

Not at all.

Rather than this boiling down to a thread about world powers and political control of people (we know where that will go), let's take this back to a situation where a market with much restrictions leads to studios having to be extra cautious what they release.

Agreed.

Now, how 'bout we get back to talking about how much SS sucked?

Not at all.

Hogwash.

First, you brought up the "Japanese flag symbolism," and I was simply trying to be helpful in explaining exactly how offensive that flag is for folks who may not know the sordid history of Sino-Japanese relations.

I happen to know a bit about it, having majored in Japanese in undergrad, attended a Japanese university for a year, and subsequently worked for the Japanese government for a few years.

Second, my fear is the exact opposite of "studios having to be extra cautious what they release."

My fear is that from here on out, every would-be Hollywood blockbuster includes a gratuitous China tie-in just to try to make it more palatable to that market.

Kudos to both Fox and Warner Brothers for having the stones to release hard-R versions of both Deadpool and Suicide Squad this year, full well knowing they were leaving ~$100 million on the table due to the lack of a Chinese market.

God forbid if four years from now literally every Hollywood film has been neutered specifically to appeal to Chinese government censors, and/or contains a ridiculous China tie-in.

Another example:

I _hated_ how both the book and movie of The Martian had what seemed to me to be a gratuitous China tie-in designed specifically to cater to that market (which it did -- $94 million).

Whereas, 20 years ago Contact had the exact same plot point (except the duplicate rocket was built in Japan, not China) and it did not seem at all forced.

Not at all.

Hogwash.

First, you brought up the "Japanese flag symbolism," and I was simply trying to be helpful in explaining exactly how offensive that flag is for folks who may not know the sordid history of Sino-Japanese relations.

I happen to know a bit about it, having majored in Japanese in undergrad, attended a Japanese university for a year, and subsequently worked for the Japanese government for a few years.

Second, my fear is the exact opposite of "studios having to be extra cautious what they release."

My fear is that from here on out, every would-be Hollywood blockbuster includes a gratuitous China tie-in just to try to make it more palatable to that market.

Kudos to both Fox and Warner Brothers for having the stones to release hard-R versions of both Deadpool and Suicide Squad this year, full well knowing they were leaving ~$100 million on the table due to the lack of a Chinese market.

God forbid if four years from now literally every Hollywood film has been neutered specifically to appeal to Chinese government censors, and/or contains a ridiculous China tie-in.

Another example:

I _hated_ how both the book and movie of The Martian had what seemed to me to be a gratuitous China tie-in designed specifically to cater to that market (which it did -- $94 million).

Whereas, 20 years ago Contact had the exact same plot point (except the duplicate rocket was built in Japan, not China) and it did not seem at all forced.

You're giving Fox & WB too much credit.

Both are publicly traded companies & their goal is to make money for their executives & share holders.

IMHO, both Fox & WB were arrogant. Both studios expected their superhero movies to be played in China....They were wrong.

Not at all.

Hogwash.

Another example:

Hogwash?! How dare you sir or madam. Why, poppycock!

lol

It just felt like you were going down the path of delving into the political and social differences between Japan and China. Along with the invasion of China by Japan during WW II. Though it recently reached a head when they both used Harry Potter terminology to bash on one another.

China And Japan Are Abusing Each Other Using "Harry Potter" Insults

China shall henceforth be referred to as 'Voldemort'.

:o

Now as far as studios kowtowing to China's local demands, that's their call how far to take it. Although you would hope it complements the source material versus a meaningless scene or two.

Not at all.

Hogwash.

Another example:

You're giving Fox & WB too much credit.

Both are publicly traded companies & their goal is to make money for their executives & share holders.

IMHO, both Fox & WB were arrogant. Both studios expected their superhero movies to be played in China....They were wrong.

I bet they don't even collect comic books, let alone read them.

:ohnoez: