• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

lol Ok I've gotta know. What exactly is the qualification for reviewing a movie?

I can't take this literally since the inception of the internet has basically left every single person on the planet the ability to show their opinion and there are no valid opinions, just sifting though the muck to find knowledge

Unfortunately marvel has created the blueprint for the rest of the movies to be compared to

When most miss the mark of the standard Disney pattern then most reviewers will be left disappointed

The majority of the film reviewers suck to be honest. Just read their other reviews of movies you've liked or haven't liked

Like I mentioned on the vanity fair reviewer, he liked age of apocalypse which I thought was a complete mess

I will admit it: I am going to see this movie to watch Margot Robbie parade around in her skimpy outfit acting as Harley Quinn.

Cara Delevigne is a bonus as well.

I am hoping the movie is good as well, but I will go into it with low expectations assuming the last minute changes they did will make the film into a mess.

lol Ok I've gotta know. What exactly is the qualification for reviewing a movie?

I can't take this literally since the inception of the internet has basically left every single person on the planet the ability to show their opinion and there are no valid opinions, just sifting though the muck to find knowledge

Unfortunately marvel has created the blueprint for the rest of the movies to be compared to

When most miss the mark of the standard Disney pattern then most reviewers will be left disappointed

The majority of the film reviewers suck to be honest. Just read their other reviews of movies you've liked or haven't liked

Like I mentioned on the vanity fair reviewer, he liked age of apocalypse which I thought was a complete mess

it sure wasn't very good.

Never let others do your thinking for you.

never? often wise words, but, for example, if i hear from a majority of people that a certain restaurant sucks, i'll probably not visit it, because my eat-out dollar can be spent at so many established places down here in s. la.. i don't see the entertainment dollar as being much different. but i will go see s squad, because i'm a comic geek who sees almost all new comic releases. i sure don't have much in the way of expectations, tho'.

It's the same as calling bloggers journalists. Qualifications for a lot of things have become subjective instead of intensive

Never let others do your thinking for you.

never? often wise words, but, for example, if i hear from a majority of people that a certain restaurant sucks, i'll probably not visit it, because my eat-out dollar can be spent at so many established places down here in s. la.. i don't see the entertainment dollar as being much different. but i will go see s squad, because i'm a comic geek who sees almost all new comic releases. i sure don't have much in the way of expectations, tho'.

Hardly ever

And this was in the context of movies, not food. Completely different, but I agree on that point.

But I will not let someone dictate what art to like or not. And yes, never on that.

33% Rotten Tomatoes ??

Ugh, no thanks. Pass.

They never released a trailer that made the movie look particularly good anyway.

-J.

Funny cause I have heard from a bunch of people out here who saw it last week said they really liked SS. (shrug)

Apparently (which was a easy bet to predict) that Leto's portrayal as the Joker was amazing!

Just logged in and I see the doom and gloom has already started. I can't wait to see what Friday brings :D

Sell the rights to Marvel already!!!

Not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from.

In socal people are loving the movie and loving Leto's Joker who was a good majority of the movie.

Just logged in and I see the doom and gloom has already started. I can't wait to see what Friday brings :D

In socal people are loving the movie and loving Leto's Joker who was a good majority of the movie.

Several of the reviews have said that the Joker barely appears in the movie, especially considering the hype that he has gotten for this role. (shrug)

My posts are meant to be sarcastic

David Ayer Responds To The Negative SUICIDE SQUAD Reviews

David Ayer is certainly taking the negative reviews for Suicide Squad on the chin. But the spirited director is going down swinging, taking to Twitter to declare that he made the film precisely as intended.

t7uqlyu.jpg

“I’d prefer to die standing, than to live on my knees”

Prior to the review embargo lifting earlier today, Ayer had this to say to Comicbook.com about potentially returning for a sequel. “Look, anything’s possible. Right now I have to see if the movie connects with the fans. Who knows? You never know. I made it for the fans, and am a fan myself. But before I put my head back on the chopping block, there are some questions to settle.”

Interesting that the comic movie sites seem to be enjoying this film more than the general critics.

COMICBOOK.COM Review: Suicide Squad's Character-Driven Fun Outweighs Flaws

The chief complaint about the DC Films universe so far has been a lack of fun and funny - in fact, a lack of smiles all around. Well, this movie takes care of that, and from early on. The dynamic between these incredibly disparate core characters: Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Deadshot (Will Smith), Killer Croc (Adawale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), Katana (Karen Fukuhara), and Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman) is instantaneous. From about the moment they get their conditional release and suit up in their respective crime-committing (remember, these are the bad guys, in case that wasn't drilled into your head enough from the PR campaign), they start to simultaneously gel and slam against one another. They act like a longstanding group of friends, who kind of hate each other. It's a perfect and unique dynamic, and it pours off every moment on the screen.

It doesn't hurt, either, that the cast - outside of being so likable in person or in interviews - also happen to be incredibly talented on screen. Will Smith is back at the top of his game, and can count this film as one of his best performances. He has such a presence on screen that whether he's facing down a hero or leader or showing off his own leadership skills, he's aces all around. His fighting sequences show a hint of his Ali past mixed with insane gunplay, too. Margot Robbie, as many expected, is a scene-stealer with her take - the first ever live-action one - on Harley Quinn. "The Joker's Robin" a title-card describes her as, though she's obviously more than that, as she's also his paramour, and daresay his actual love. That's a strange word to use in conjunction with the Joker, yes, but it may be true here, and more on that in a moment. Jay Hernandez has an incredible emotional weight to carry for the film, and it wouldn't work at all without his portrayal. Jai Courtney is hilarious, Karen Fukuhara is intense (and a little scary) and emotes incredibly for someone stuck under a hard ceramic mask, Kinnaman plays a great straight man, Akinnuoye-Agbaje has probably the best one-liner in the film, and Viola Davis as Amanda "The Wall" Waller is arguably the most intimidating single figure in a comicbook movie ever - look out, Nick Fury, if The Wall comes for you. Even Ben Affleck and Ezra Miller's cameos as Batman and The Flash are pitch-perfect (Batman delivers a perfect Batman line that will have longtime fans thrilled). If there's a stand-out scene in the film that demonstrates nearly all of this, it's the bar scene shown in the trailers. About a 7-minute bit, it shows humor, heart, tearful sadness, and unites the characters perfectly. I felt like I could watch two hours of them sitting in that bar joking around and opening up to each other.

Suicide Squad is the fun, action-packed movie DC Comics fans have been waiting for, delivering two hours of great quips, crazy action sequences, a pitch-perfect Harley Quinn, and other actors stepping swiftly and easily into their roles. Its flaws will bother some more than others - comicbook fans? You won't have to worry. Moviegoers less familiar with this structure or being introduced to these characters for the first time will still find so much great character work that the flaws should be able to be overlooked in favor of a good time at the movies. It's crazy, sexy, funny, but most of all full of heart - several elements that the DC Films universe needed sooner rather than later. Ultimately, I left smiling, thinking and talking about the individual characters more than even the action, and wanting more. Whether that's in a full team sequel, solo movies for several of the characters, appearances by them in heroes' movies, I just hope this cast gets to continue building their world, and sooner rather than later.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 stars