• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

And my boy Scott Mendelson at Forbes pulled the nuclear option with his title alone:

'Suicide Squad' Review: Worse Than 'Green Lantern,' Worse Than 'Fantastic Four'

The choice quote:

"Once upon a time I bent over backward to be fair to Green Lantern, yet now I am nostalgic for what that film’s A-to-B-to-C competence. As much as everyone talked about Zack Snyder as the great devil holding back the DC Comics universe, Suicide Squad is noticeably inferior to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. It’s (perhaps by default) probably the worst “big” DC Comics live-action movie since Catwoman. Even Jonah Hex, warts and all, was at least about something, as its “fear of a militarized Tea Party” subtext turned out to be sadly prescient."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/03/suicide-squad-review-worse-than-green-lantern-worse-than-fantastic-four/#3bbe12de4d73

owned by Marvel? :D

:facepalm:

I cannot believe how happily excited some of you get with this news.

There have been enough comic book sites and actual fans that attended the film that noted though the story is jumbled and editing is off, they are still finding it to be a fun film. So not this horrible production where there are no redeeming qualities.

There have been enough comic book sites and actual fans that attended the film that noted though the story is jumbled and editing is off, they are still finding it to be a fun film. So not this horrible production where there are no redeeming qualities.

I can't wait to see the reaction when everyone finds out the main antagonist is...

Martha Kent :D

I agree, from all accounts so far, its better than BvS, for whatever that's worth. I'm still pretty excited to see it tomorrow night. Though I will say on the surface it sure does seem like maybe there's too many characters and therefore possibly too much plot they needed to toss in there. I'm hoping that that the 'suicide' part will live up to its name and at least some of the C-list names will be 'cycled' through during the movie. Guess we'll see....

Despite bad reviews me and the family are still going to see it, although certainly with some lowered expectations.

This blaming of RT though is so asinine. Stop blaming everyone but DC for making bad movies. That being said, if you like this movie? Great, say so. I know I will if that happens to be the case. But all that means is your opinion differs from the majority on this film. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you are defending this movie BEFORE YOUVE SEEN IT because you blindly love DC movies, or you're condemning it BEFORE YOUVE SEEN IT because only Marvel movies can be good...please, keep that opinion to yourself.

Yeah - don't misunderstand. I'm far from "excited."

And I _love_ David Ayer -- Training Day and End of Watch were stone-cold masterpieces.

But it's as a comic fan that I had really high hopes for this film, especially after the misfire that was BvS.

Instead, given these reviews, I'll relegate it to a Sunday matinee, with my buddy & me taking it in the same way we saw Ghost Rider, Jonah Hex and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter:

Mel-Gibson-drunk

I think that WW is what is needed to get things back on track. It seems that both SS and BvS has suffered from over stuffing the movies with new characters. Trying to fit a plot, do origins, and fleshing out so much in a 2 to 3 hr is just too much. Marvel avoided this issue by slowly building. WB is rushing to catch up, and it shows. WW hopefully will work by havING one character to focus on resulting in a simpler more coherent plot.

I think that WW is what is needed to get things back on track. It seems that both SS and BvS has suffered from over stuffing the movies with new characters. Trying to fit a plot, do origins, and fleshing out so much in a 2 to 3 hr is just too much. Marvel avoided this issue by slowly building. WB is rushing to catch up, and it shows. WW hopefully will work by havING one character to focus on resulting in a simpler more coherent plot.

I think WW might be the last chance for DC... and it has a lot more 'goodwill' built up already than BvS or SS did....so if it doesn't turn out to be honest to goodness blockbuster....well then DC should just focus on tv for a while and give me a green lantern universe in 5 years.

One character to focus on will greatly help story and pacing. Added bonus. At least so far Wonder Woman has been heroic rather than tortured. I have great hopes for this movie.

My first thought when I saw the trailer for WW was "that looks like a Captain America movie"....which isn't a bad thing. Single character with a well told story of origin.

The Justice League trailer looked pretty cool and has me excited to see it. I think they learned a lot from BvS.

So while there's all this doom and gloom for SS, I haven't given up on the DC movies. Lots of good potential still on the horizon.

One character to focus on will greatly help story and pacing. Added bonus. At least so far Wonder Woman has been heroic rather than tortured. I have great hopes for this movie.

I do wonder how BVS would have turned out if they removed all of the Justice League nods, dream sequence stuff, and the time travel scenes. Even have taken WW and Doomsday out of the film and just focused on Batman and Supwrman. Restructure the film so the final act of the movie was only to resolve the title's premise . Much more focused plot, and plenty of room to focus on the main characters.

Edited by drotto

I think WW might be the last chance for DC... and it has a lot more 'goodwill' built up already than BvS or SS did....so if it doesn't turn out to be honest to goodness blockbuster....well then DC should just focus on tv for a while and give me a green lantern universe in 5 years.

Wonder Woman definitely has massive excitement over this film after that SDCC teaser. And years before, Joss Whedon wanted a try at Wonder Woman, and could have been an early launch point. This could be the cleaner transition for the DCEU than what has occurred in 2016.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to see how this weekend turns out, and if the negative responses impact estimates.

Despite bad reviews me and the family are still going to see it, although certainly with some lowered expectations.

This blaming of RT though is so asinine. Stop blaming everyone but DC for making bad movies. That being said, if you like this movie? Great, say so. I know I will if that happens to be the case. But all that means is your opinion differs from the majority on this film. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you are defending this movie BEFORE YOUVE SEEN IT because you blindly love DC movies, or you're condemning it BEFORE YOUVE SEEN IT because only Marvel movies can be good...please, keep that opinion to yourself.

And then there are those in the middle watching people get overly excited about negative critiques (I notice someone took the lol emoticon out of his posts now), as if it is fun to watch negative reviews.

It's cool to post both the positive and negative so both sides are represented. But if you are going to come across gleeful that negative reviews are hitting the air, there's no positive intent in that. Other than the perception you are excited to see a film fail.

Green Lantern and Jonah Hex as better movies than Suicide Squad remain to be seen if that is the general feeling. We'll see.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but it appears that Warner Bros. owned Rotten Tomatoes (through Flixster) until February 2016 when Flixster was sold to Fandango. Warner Bros. currently owns a minority interest in the merged entities.

I had not heard that before.

But this is silly, as it makes it look like comic fanatics attack such sites if they don't say a superhero movie is fantastic.

Collider pulled together its five reviewers and go through the good, the bad and the missed opportunity. NON-SPOILER!

Their points sound reasonable and honest without trying to deliver a funny negative review to show how witty they are. And a few really enjoyed the movie.

Mark Ellis: 5.9/10.0

Dennis Tzeng: 7.0/10.0

John Campea: 6.5/10.0

Kristian Harloff: 5.0/10.0

Jon Schnepp: 8.0/10.0

Haven't seen it yet, but I will. For now, just like to echo the stance that RT has absolutely no opinion about movies and should be left out of the discussion altogether. Let's discuss the actual reviews, as some have already done, and discuss their merits or flaws as they come up.

Love the overall cast on this one, but it sounds like the fundamentals of the story -- the -script itself -- is kind of a mess. I can't tell how many times my wife has said about a movie, "If only they could have put some of the budget for explosions into the writing."

Still looking forward to what appear to be the stars of the show -- Smith and Robbie. And I imagine it will still bring it a nice first weekend and hold ground based on the love for some of these characters.

Dan