• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

So the reviews for this sound an awful lot like the reviews for BvS. Well acted, poorly edited, poorly written. And since it focuses on anti-heroes I suspect it will be much like BvS as well. Heavy on the super, light on the heroes. I'm hoping Justice League and/or Wonder Woman give us some actual heroes.

Remember, this movie was scripted/developed and initially filmed under the old Snyder vision for the DCU so it was going to be darker from the start.

My guess is that Wonder Woman and then Justice League will be the films that the lessons learned show up in. Suicide Squad was basically done filming/most of production when BvS came out. You can't throw all of that away and still hope to make money.

That being said, I am looking forward to Suicide Squad and will be taking my kids and some of their friends to it this weekend. The kids are more amped for it than I am. lol

This will likely be the last hero movie we go to this year. My two kids thought the Dr. Strange trailers looked "silly". :applause:

Those who focus on the negative will only see the negative

Those who want to see something positive will find it

Those who want to see this fail will find a way to make sure they continually post hoping it comes true

That's not true. Fantastic Four (2015) was just baaaaaaad.

John Campea from Collider calls it a mess with a whole bunch of fun.

Heck, if you go back and watch Deadpool (I've watched that film a few times now), that fits the same structure as if you peeled that movie apart it really is various points in time crammed together to make a fun and wild story.

(shrug)

if RT really hates a movie there's usually some underlying agenda at work. Two titles opening with the word LITTLE in the title are 95%...maybe they should change the name of SS.

Ghostbusters ended up with a 73%...they're telling me that movie is 2x as good as SS. Their synopsis saying that movie 'pales somewhat' to the original is a massive understatement.

Edited by krighton

I wanted this film to score high on the ratings so that DC fanatics can stop hating on Marvel films.

That's a slightly odd perspective.

I'm not sure that is any more odd than other perspectives on this or other comic films that have been expressed on the boards.

if RT really hates a movie there's usually some underlying agenda at work. Two titles opening with the word LITTLE in the title are 95%...maybe they should change the name of SS.

Ghostbusters ended up with a 73%...they're telling me that movie is 2x as good as SS. Their synopsis saying that movie 'pales somewhat' to the original is a massive understatement.

Again this idea stems from a misunderstanding of Rotten Tomatoes. The average review for Suicide Squad is a 5.2 compared to a 6.4 for the new Ghostbusters. Critics didn't like Ghostbusters twice as much, only about 23% more. And the idea that critics are biased against DC films is unlikely. The highest rated superhero movies are still the Nolan Batman movies. Maybe, just maybe, BvS and Suicide Squad just weren't very good.

Again this idea stems from a misunderstanding of Rotten Tomatoes. The average review for Suicide Squad is a 5.2 compared to a 6.4 for the new Ghostbusters. Critics didn't like Ghostbusters twice as much, only about 23% more. And the idea that critics are biased against DC films is unlikely. The highest rated superhero movies are still the Nolan Batman movies. Maybe, just maybe, BvS and Suicide Squad just weren't very good.

honestly, how complicated is it? RT doesn't review anything, they compile reviews from other sources. so, 2/3's of critics polled have an agenda against DC? ludicrous. the movie likely sucks, that's the problem.

Looks like apparently it's going to suffer a little bit of Fan4-stick-itis. Except backwards? Like the lighter bits that the execs forced into the film & the reshoot stuff made the film better, but as a result, made it really disjointed & a bit of a mess when it comes to the tone? At least that's what the article for io9 this morning said. Seems like it could have been an ok, if dour film if Ayer's original cut was used, or a fun film if it was all done like the reshoot stuff & the lighter stuff from the original -script, but mashing them together kinda made it into a bit of a mess?

Kinda really disappointed if that's the case. But it's also maybe a good example of being able to see the shift from the Snyder Murderverse to what we're hopefully gonna get more of in WW and Justice League going forward.

Oh boy!

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: 'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

The upheaval like that behind Warner Bros.'s DC team-up is becoming a staple of studio franchise filmmaking.

Yet if the villain team-up ultimately works — and it has drawn some harsh early reviews — it will be in spite of the kind of behind-the-scenes drama that is becoming typical for giant franchise movies that now are the main focus of the studio business: a production schedule engineered to meet an ambitious release date; a director, David Ayer (Fury), untested in making tentpole movies; and studio executives, brimming with anxiety, who are ready to intercede forcefully as they attempt to protect a branded asset. Often, efforts to fix perceived problems ratchet up costs, which drive anxiety ever higher. In extreme cases, such as Fox's troubled Fantastic Four, the intervention is so aggressive that it becomes unclear what it means to be the director. (In each such case, studios are careful to stress that the credited director is on-scene and in charge, which is essential to avoid DGA issues. And the wise director plays along.)

So despite grueling moments, multiple editors and competing cuts, the production of Suicide Squad barely stands out in today's landscape. In a joint statement to THR, Ayer and Warners production president Greg Silverman say: "This was an amazing experience. We did a lot of experimentation and collaboration along the way. But we are both very proud of the result. This is a David Ayer film, and Warners is proud to present it."

In Ayer, Warners enlisted a director who had never made a giant, effects-packed action movie. Hiring filmmakers who lack such experience is the trend, and it's often out of necessity. "There are a lot of people who don't want to direct those movies and that's a huge problem," says one producer with franchise experience. "A lot of the proven guys are back-to-back with their stuff, or they want to develop it for five years, and there's a machine that has to be fed. And there's the economics." Seasoned directors are expensive, meaning studios turn to those with less experience, relying on instinct that they will be up to the job. Sometimes it works (Colin Trevorrow on Jurassic World), and sometimes it doesn't (James Bobin on Alice Through the Looking Glass).

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin [Tsujihara] was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio.

By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited. (A source says he left by the end of the process and that the final editor was Michael Tronick.) "When you have big tentpoles and time pressure, you pull in resources from every which way you can," says this source. "You can't do it the way it used to be, with one editor and one assistant editor."

This sounds like there was a rush to create a film - but what you get in the end demonstrates that.

from what I'm seeing from video reviews the movie has editing problems and the pacing in the second half of the movie. but it looks like is going to be a movie were a lot of people are going to like it over the critics. what's going to determent the outcome of the movie is word of mouth.

Can we stop it with the RT or anti-DC superhero movie conspiracy theories already?

The highest rated superhero movies are still the Nolan Batman movies. Maybe, just maybe, BvS and Suicide Squad just weren't very good.

Exactly.

I think that given the early reviews, it's probably unlikely that Suicide is either as good as, or will do nearly as well commercially as, Deadpool - its closest comparable (and, more than a little, inspiration).

But a primary driver of any commercial failure is likely to be audience fatigue.

How many superhero movies have we seen this year alone?

And how many (non-animated) would-be blockbusters that opened respectably & then dropped like a stone?

Independence Day

Warcraft (ok - this was an actual bomb)

Tarzan

Star Trek

I even predict Jason Bourne will see a 58-60% drop-off this weekend.

Why? I saw it - it was decent, but not great. Just serviceable, more of the same from the franchise, like the last (mediocre) Bond film.

It was a fun use of 2 hours but will be gone from theaters in a month & that's ok.

But with the weight of the "DCEU" on its shoulders, Suicide Squad doesn't have the runway to be merely good, a la Ant-Man.

It needs to be a blockbuster, and that's not fair to it -- especially so now that it looks like that may not happen.

I wanted this film to score high on the ratings so that DC fanatics can stop hating on Marvel films.

That's a slightly odd perspective.

I'm not sure that is any more odd than other perspectives on this or other comic films that have been expressed on the boards.

That's a slightly odd perspective that isn't any more odd than other perspectives on this or other comic films that have been expressed on the boards :foryou:;)

It's still odd. From my perspective. I mean no offence, Warburger and Mysterio has a point. However, there is a large amount of criticism directed towards DC movies (see MoS, BvS and now SS) and relatively speaking, a much smaller amount for Marvel.

People don't like DC movies because they think they suck. Check.

People love Marvel movies because they think they're awesome. Check.

People don't like Marvel movies because they must be DC fanboys hating Marvel's success. No... it's just their views are written off as sour grapes.

It would appear the general consensus is it's acceptable to dislike DC but not acceptable to dislike Marvel. That's double standards. Reflecting that view in the reason for wanting a DC movie to succeed, to me, is a little odd.

Why am I a Marvel Zombie?

You answered your own question.

Those were all pretty good movies.

Avengers 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Avengers 2

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Iron Man 3

pretty good movie.

I'll do the apologist bit here for a moment.

Professional reviewers are paid to provide their critical, informed opinion. That often comes from having studied media formally in a college setting, having long exposure to and interaction with the film industry, and deep knowledge of how films work, the history of films, the production process, directors' histories and styles, and on and on. The summary dismissal of professionals who actually know what they're talking about doesn't add up in any logical sense. It's still an opinion, but it's a heck of a lot more of an informed opinion that most others can muster.