• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I had hope that with Ayers writing and directing it might have ended up being an interesting movie at the least, but have had a bad feeling about it from the earliest reports. It may not be as godawful as the reviews indicate, but I'll never know. I won't be wasting my time to find out.

from what I'm seeing from video reviews the movie has editing problems and the pacing in the second half of the movie. but it looks like is going to be a movie were a lot of people are going to like it over the critics. what's going to determent the outcome of the movie is word of mouth.

I'm still going to see it. Plus, there are enough comic-based reviewers that are saying despite the editing and story confusion this is a fun movie.

I'll do the apologist bit here for a moment.

Professional reviewers are paid to provide their critical, informed opinion. That often comes from having studied media formally in a college setting, having long exposure to and interaction with the film industry, and deep knowledge of how films work, the history of films, the production process, directors' histories and styles, and on and on. The summary dismissal of professionals who actually know what they're talking about doesn't add up in any logical sense. It's still an opinion, but it's a heck of a lot more of an informed opinion that most others can muster.

Marvel sucks

Point of order:

Iron Man 3 was awesome.

First, it was far better than Iron Man 2 / Thor 2 / Hulk / Incredible Hulk

And yeah - while the ending was weak, what with Gwyneth Paltrow turning into some sort of extremis-infected immortal Ironwoman and all but...

the fact that Shane Black trolled comic book nerds everywhere with the Mandarin reveal...

_ruled_.

I'm glad it grossed its $1.2 billion.

Point of order:

Iron Man 3 was awesome.

First, it was far better than Iron Man 2 / Thor 2 / Hulk / Incredible Hulk

And yeah - while the ending was weak, what with Gwyneth Paltrow turning into some sort of extremis-infected immortal Ironwoman and all but...

the fact that Shane Black trolled comic book nerds everywhere with the Mandarin reveal...

_ruled_.

I'm glad it grossed its $1.2 billion.

Iron Man 3 is not an awesome movie.

The way they squeezed that kid into the story made no sense at all, and Marvel making a one-shot to make up for the Mandarin switch shows there was enough feedback on Trevor it had to be explained there was a real Mandarin hiding in the shadows looking to strike. Add to this Tony destroying all his units like a last send-off, and it gets confusing what this film was going after.

It just made a massive amount of money as the assumed end of a trilogy and the next big follow-up to the hugely successful Avengers. Even the Chinese box office scenes were questioned by the local market, though they appreciated the sensitivity of the gesture.

9ZFrSjB.jpg

I always did like JQ. Always comes across as a genuinely nice guy in his interviews.

It was a classy move on his part, and he could have easily taken the adversary stance and started bashing on the movie. He didn't.

:applause:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but it appears that Warner Bros. owned Rotten Tomatoes (through Flixster) until February 2016 when Flixster was sold to Fandango. Warner Bros. currently owns a minority interest in the merged entities.

Nah, they will just need a better slate of Producers/Directors and someone to pull a coherent vision for the DCU together.

FWIW, I think this movie will be fine and a good popcorn flick. Looking at the amount of interest I am seeing from my daughter and her friends (12 year olds) and her friends older siblings (13-18) this movie is striking the right kind of rebellious chord with tweens and teens to make it do well at the boxoffice.

That being said, Suicide Squad was always a weird choice for me as their first flick after BvS since it is dealing with a more risky (or risque? lol ) property than say a Wonder Woman or Batman solo movie would be.

Wonder Woman and Justice League look like better bets for next year.

Better late than never but I am excited that Geoff Johns pretty much is the man now making all the decisions for DC for movies.

Nah, they will just need a better slate of Producers/Directors and someone to pull a coherent vision for the DCU together.

FWIW, I think this movie will be fine and a good popcorn flick. Looking at the amount of interest I am seeing from my daughter and her friends (12 year olds) and her friends older siblings (13-18) this movie is striking the right kind of rebellious chord with tweens and teens to make it do well at the boxoffice.

That being said, Suicide Squad was always a weird choice for me as their first flick after BvS since it is dealing with a more risky (or risque? lol ) property than say a Wonder Woman or Batman solo movie would be.

Wonder Woman and Justice League look like better bets for next year.

Better late than never but I am excited that Geoff Johns pretty much is the man now making all the decisions for DC for movies.

Yeah, better late than never indeed. They should've had him in that position from the get go.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but it appears that Warner Bros. owned Rotten Tomatoes (through Flixster) until February 2016 when Flixster was sold to Fandango. Warner Bros. currently owns a minority interest in the merged entities.

This RT is at fault again. RT does not employ 200 plus critics it just compiles reviews off all critics that reach a certain level of experience.

These reviews hurt, because I was never looking forward to BvS, but I have been looking forward to this movie. HQ has been one of may favorite characters for almost 25 years, and I really wanted her to be well represented and successful.

Now we seems to know the reasons for the reshoots, and the resulting possible mess it has created. We have more conformation that WB is a mess behind the scenes after BSV and it is affecting both film quality and the direction of the movie universe. They really need to get things back on track.

Edited by drotto

Among top critics the rank is even worse: 7 positive out of 29 so far (or 24% positive).

The major positive outliers:

USA Today & Entertainment Weekly.

Even The Onion hated it:

"Even the idea of nihilist camaraderie, which should come naturally with the Peckinpah-by-way-of-post-Crisis-DC premise, feels like a load of hooey; the characters are often too busy posing to exchange more than a few words at a time."

And my boy Scott Mendelson at Forbes pulled the nuclear option with his title alone:

'Suicide Squad' Review: Worse Than 'Green Lantern,' Worse Than 'Fantastic Four'

The choice quote:

"Once upon a time I bent over backward to be fair to Green Lantern, yet now I am nostalgic for what that film’s A-to-B-to-C competence. As much as everyone talked about Zack Snyder as the great devil holding back the DC Comics universe, Suicide Squad is noticeably inferior to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. It’s (perhaps by default) probably the worst “big” DC Comics live-action movie since Catwoman. Even Jonah Hex, warts and all, was at least about something, as its “fear of a militarized Tea Party” subtext turned out to be sadly prescient."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/03/suicide-squad-review-worse-than-green-lantern-worse-than-fantastic-four/#3bbe12de4d73