• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Haven't seen it yet, but I will. For now, just like to echo the stance that RT has absolutely no opinion about movies and should be left out of the discussion altogether. Let's discuss the actual reviews, as some have already done, and discuss their merits or flaws as they come up.

Love the overall cast on this one, but it sounds like the fundamentals of the story -- the -script itself -- is kind of a mess. I can't tell how many times my wife has said about a movie, "If only they could have put some of the budget for explosions into the writing."

Still looking forward to what appear to be the stars of the show -- Smith and Robbie. And I imagine it will still bring it a nice first weekend and hold ground based on the love for some of these characters.

Dan

That's basically why they had to reshoot entire scenes after BvS tanked at the box office and Deadpool scored.

I'd bet the SS -script was probably just as much a "mess" as BvS and just as unfunny compared to something like Deadpool. BTW, SS should be compared to Deadpool more than to BvS. But in either case - they did reshoot entire scenes just to make it more entertaining.

So.... I think you're probably right about the biggest flaw will probably be the -script itself.

Collider pulled together its five reviewers and go through the good, the bad and the missed opportunity. NON-SPOILER!

Their points sound reasonable and honest without trying to deliver a funny negative review to show how witty they are. And a few really enjoyed the movie.

Mark Ellis: 5.9/10.0

Dennis Tzeng: 7.0/10.0

John Campea: 6.5/10.0

Kristian Harloff: 5.0/10.0

Jon Schnepp: 8.0/10.0

From five seasoned reviewers that looked at this as DC fans and movie-goers, their ratings come from the agreement it is the story that threw them off from calling this great. But they loved the characters and the interaction between the team.

Collider pulled together its five reviewers and go through the good, the bad and the missed opportunity. NON-SPOILER!

Their points sound reasonable and honest without trying to deliver a funny negative review to show how witty they are. And a few really enjoyed the movie.

From five seasoned reviewers that looked at this as DC fans and movie-goers, their ratings come from the agreement it is the story that threw them off from calling this great. But they loved the characters and the interaction between the team.

I think Ayer was going for a simple story/ villain and focus more on some of the characters.

that's a rave compared to this 'empty chair' review from Mick LaSalle

‘Suicide Squad’ is two hours of soul-sickening, sensory torment

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Suicide-Squad-is-two-hours-of-9067798.php

I think Ayer was going for a simple story/ villain and focus more on some of the characters.

It sounds like it is definitely the characters that stood out, and how they interacted with one another. But from this detailed discussion between the five, this movie is not the hot mess being pointed out by others. So still worth a trip to the theater to experience it first-hand.

In the end, it's the characters that matter and not the movie franchise. I hope people realize that sometimes these Hollywood studios strike out with material and/or characters that mean a lot more to us than most. Other movies will be made with a chance to right the ship. Imagine what we would have been saying about the 90's Captain America movie or Corman's Fantastic Four when they were "released".

Sometimes I think people try too hard to justify liking a turd movie, when you have to accept it for what it is. It is sad to see DC flopping like this though in this age of special effects and comic book movie acceptance.

If DC/WB is "flopping" it's because they aren't listening to the fans. They keep making outrageous casting decisions, and re-inventing the characters which don't require re-invention.

To top it off, they're either too dark or trying to be zany. They've yet to find the right blend of seriousness and humor without being awkward.

Then they give away the entire plotline through trailers and subsequent intentional "leaks".

If they want to succeed, they don't need to follow any formula derived by Marvel/Disney.

They need to stop with the wildly_fanciful_statement and put the same folks that are in charge of their other media properties in charge of these flicks. They got it right with television, they got it right with their animated videos. When it comes to their movies, they appear to care more about "star power" than substance or content.

They don't need to make movies for entitled Millenials that are dying to get to their next tweet whilst clubbing...they need to make movies that the FANS of the material want to see.

http://screencrush.com/suicide-squad-review/

There’s even less of Ben Affleck, who looks like he showed up only because someone at Warners threw up the Bat-Contractual Obligation Signal. lol

here's Matt Singer's Age of Ultron review.

http://screencrush.com/avengers-age-of-ultron-review/

his scores of the recent Marvel Movies

Civil War 8/10

Age of Ultron 8/10

Thor the Dark World 9/10

Cap America the Winter Soldier 8/10

Iron Man 3 7/10

hm

Someone ranked Iron Man 3 that high? doh!

If DC/WB is "flopping" it's because they aren't listening to the fans. They keep making outrageous casting decisions, and re-inventing the characters which don't require re-invention.

To top it off, they're either too dark or trying to be zany. They've yet to find the right blend of seriousness and humor without being awkward.

Then they give away the entire plotline through trailers and subsequent intentional "leaks".

If they want to succeed, they don't need to follow any formula derived by Marvel/Disney.

They need to stop with the wildly_fanciful_statement and put the same folks that are in charge of their other media properties in charge of these flicks. They got it right with television, they got it right with their animated videos. When it comes to their movies, they appear to care more about "star power" than substance or content.

They don't need to make movies for entitled Millenials that are dying to get to their next tweet whilst clubbing...they need to make movies that the FANS of the material want to see.

:applause:

Another comic book movie site review.

SUICIDE SQUAD Review: Not The Masterpiece You Were Hoping For; Not The Disaster You Feared

David Ayer's supervillain ensemble flick, Suicide Squad, has been getting a fair ol' kicking from the majority of critics so far, and on the heels of that we also had reports of a troubled production that may well have led to many of the film's issues. This has to be disappointing for fans who had been hoping Suicide Squad would be some sort of saviour of the DCEU, but the truth is, the movie isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's pretty damn good... for the most part.

We'll get the negatives out of the way first, though. Like Batman V Superman, the biggest problem with the film is that at certain points, it just doesn't flow properly. Though the scenes don't feel as disjointed as they did in Zack Snyder's superhero smackdown, there are some moments that seem to randomly drop into the narrative without any set up, and the use of flashbacks - as entertaining as they are in their own right - also becomes jarring after a while.

Ayer's film is a strange (sometimes in a good way, sometimes not) mishmash of many different elements that don't always work together, but when they do it's a joy. The cast/characters are all top notch, it's just a shame the movie they're in let them down somewhat.

Suicide Squad isn't as great as we hoped it'd be, so for that reason alone it does have to be considered a disappointment - but that doesn't mean there's no fun to be had. Comic book fans, especially, should find a lot to enjoy.

Overall rating: 3.0/5.0 stars

Add that to the other comic book movie/fan site reviews.

Comicbook.com overall rating: 4.0/5.0 stars

ComicBookResources overall rating: ferocious fun!

Slashfilm overall rating: playful alternative to DC’s more straightforward superhero films

And then there is Patty Jenkins's review:

cEtpCbC.jpg

But it is very clear from all the reviews posted the story and flow are what detracts from this film's final results, though it contains plenty of interesting characters.

I think that WW is what is needed to get things back on track. It seems that both SS and BvS has suffered from over stuffing the movies with new characters. Trying to fit a plot, do origins, and fleshing out so much in a 2 to 3 hr is just too much. Marvel avoided this issue by slowly building. WB is rushing to catch up, and it shows. WW hopefully will work by havING one character to focus on resulting in a simpler more coherent plot.

One character to focus on will greatly help story and pacing. Added bonus. At least so far Wonder Woman has been heroic rather than tortured. I have great hopes for this movie.

This. They need to keep this in mind. Heroes should be heroic, not tortured.

Of course there are some exceptions, but not everyone needs to be Batman.

So...apparently the Joker's barely in the film & the real villain is the Enchantress and her CGI brother Lava-man?

Seriously?

Can't wait until tonight when a boardie who has seen it can post a review...

Bringing Harley to the silver screen took some time and some doing and I will say I think they got a good choice in Margo. Replacing the Joker if Dc wants to make movies/stories including a Joker & Harley or Joker & Batman would be difficult with out a Joker. Introducing him here in short form is just that, an intro of the Joker. We now have a Joker. Very important stuff moving forward despite what critics think of the movie.

Bringing Harley to the silver screen took some time and some doing and I will say I think they got a good choice in Margo. Replacing the Joker if Dc wants to make movies/stories including a Joker & Harley or Joker & Batman would be difficult with out a Joker. Introducing him here in short form is just that, an intro of the Joker. We now have a Joker. Very important stuff moving forward despite what critics think of the movie.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are overly excited because there is not more Joker in a Suicide Squad movie - other than they are excited to see the character again.

Like a cameo in a comic book to tickle your interest, this was the movie to make it clear you are going to see more of him in the future. But from all the review details shared, he was most critical just to support Harley's origin and how th character ended up where she is at before joining the Squad.

I just skimmed through Rotten Tomatoes. Despite the very low score it seemed like most of the negative reviews were more of a lukewarm reception to the film instead of an outright pan of it. As long as your expectations aren't too high going in I'm thinking this one might be alright. Take that with a grain of salt though. I'm the same guy who loved X-Men:Apocalypse :D

:applause:

Very well said Junk.

As soon as I heard Leto was in the movie for like seven minutes I was baffled. Yet when you think about it that was probably the best decision they could have made. Anything more and his performance would have lacked intrigue and build up for future films. Leto's performance also would have been greatly compared to the most recent outstanding Joker performance by Heath Ledger, and I imagine they wanted to avoid that.

Took Greggy to see it last night at a sneak preview.

The criticism about the main mission being kind of slow / not interesting are fairly valid.

I didn't care if they accomplished the mission or not, it was more fun seeing the characters screw around together. Which isn't to say the main mission was terrible, it just wasn't the part of the film that was most interesting.

Saying the Joker is in it for 20 minutes is generous.

Diablo was the biggest surprise of the film. I didn't think I was going to care about him, but he ended up being one of the best parts.

Deadshot and Harley were probably the best parts, they were both fantastic. Amanda Waller was excellent, but she isn't as Likable as DS and Harley...which I probably the point. But Viola Davis is perfect as Waller, and I'll be very happy if she continues to antagonize the DC universe.

Killer Croc was Awesome. He doesn't have a whole lot to say, but he has some good one liners, and the make-up looked cool.

Katana is OK. She speaks in Japanese the whole time, with sub titles. She has some cool action moments, but other than that not much to work with.

Flagg was good.

Enchantress' first transformation scene was really cool, where she does the hand holding thing.

2 Members of the Justice League make appearances. Everyone knows Bats is one of them, the other one is hopefully a surprise for people, because the little cameo is great.

Overall, I really liked it. It isn't nearly as bad as some of the harsh reviews say.

I will concede that the main mission isn't very inspired, and the enemies are not terribly interesting, but there is enough going on within the Suicide Squad to keep it fun and engaging.

ALSO, at the beginning when they are introducing each character, they flash their name and Dossier on the screen.

Pay careful attention to Harley Quinn's. It's only on screen for a second, but it reveals something VERY VERY Interesting that doesn't get mentioned through the rest of the movie at all, but is a very big deal in terms of the Batman Universe overall.