• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Agent Carter on ABC Spoiler-filled Thread (Sneak Peek Preview released)
2 2

513 posts in this topic

By the way...

The Russian mind-controller is Dr. Faustus, right? He was reading a book with that name in the title.

For crying out loud, Marvel! They can't even get this right if it's true!

Johann Fennhoff(Dr. Faustus) was born in Vienna, Austria. He became a psychiatrist and criminal mastermind. He has proclaimed himself the "Master of Men's Minds," and is known for the use of psychological methods of combat. His plots typically involve manipulating his foes into positions where they will, essentially, kill themselves.

By the way...

The Russian mind-controller is Dr. Faustus, right? He was reading a book with that name in the title.

Johann Fennhoff(Dr. Faustus) was born in Vienna, Austria. He became a psychiatrist and criminal mastermind. He has proclaimed himself the "Master of Men's Minds," and is known for the use of psychological methods of combat. His plots typically involve manipulating his foes into positions where they will, essentially, kill themselves.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for posting this.

'Peggy' & Co. Make A Grim Discovery In This Clip From The Season Finale Of AGENT CARTER

-----------------

"47 dead, heads bashed in, eyed gouged out.. not a single survivor". Yikes! Is SSR dealing with some kind of monster? Check out this sneak peek at the 8th and final season 1 episode of Marvel's Agent Carter, "Valediction".

-----------------

By the way...

Uhm...isn't that exactly what he does the the SSR director? How is that 'getting it wrong'?

By the way...

Uhm...isn't that exactly what he does the the SSR director? How is that 'getting it wrong'?

He's not Russian. :gossip:

By the way...

Bold words. Read them

By the way...

Bold words. Read them

Not sure why we are playing the spoiler game here ...because it's still less than a week since air?

Ok, I'll bite.

Not to jump on you here...but do you honestly think Marvel missed this? First, the good Doc is reading Marlowe...might be that we are seeing the origin of him taking the alias "Dr Faustus". Because that's exactly where it came from.

And second...his name that he gave SSR, his backstory...can't we just assume that would have all been made up? Part of his plot to plant himself in the office?

That's how I took it. The series has been far too well done for any other conclusion, in my opinion.

Edited by fmaz

By the way...

Is Dr. Faustus so sacrosanct that they can't tinker with the character? I guess I just don't care if they've made him Russian to make the story more in-line with the '50s Cold War theme. Man, comic nerds are hard to please. I can sometimes understand the uproar when they change races, but it's taboo to change which type of Eastern European a character is? Isn't that taking it a bit far?

By the way...

Is Dr. Faustus so sacrosanct that they can't tinker with the character? I guess I just don't care if they've made him Russian to make the story more in-line with the '50s Cold War theme. Man, comic nerds are hard to please. I can sometimes understand the uproar when they change races, but it's taboo to change which type of Eastern European a character is? Isn't that taking it a bit far?

+1

By the way...

+1

Sorry, I just remember every Faustus appearance had a Nazi undertone to it. You know, swastikas and all. Guess I'm just tired of too much change in comic related shtuff these days.

By the way...

+1

Sorry, I just remember every Faustus appearance had a Nazi undertone to it. You know, swastikas and all. Guess I'm just tired of too much change in comic related shtuff these days.

Found this info online here http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=773

Johann Fennhoff was born in the late 1920s or early 1930s in Vienna, the only child of two highly educated and successful parents. During the Black Friday of March, 1938, when the Nazis rolled into Austria, the Fennhoffs used their wealth and connections to arrange for a swift exile to London. Their exact motivation was not revealed, though likely possibilities include that they were Jews, and/or Communists, and/or Austrian nationalists who had publicly opposed the pro-Reich activists. Fennhoff’s psychiatric issues around his mother nagging him for being a nogoodnik would be an old self-mocking Jewish joke and may have been meant by the writer as an hint in that direction

The Fennhoffs’s desperate escape left them without their fortune, their reputation or their social network, in a London that would start experiencing the devastation of the Blitz a few years later. Herr Fennhoff died in the early 1940s, a broken man.

Not faring much better, Frau Fennhoff aged badly and invested all the money she earned into the education of her son, hoping that his becoming successful would avenge the wrecking of their lives by the Nazis. Although nothing was ever sufficient to please his mother, Johann became an eminent doctor in psychiatry, devouring the literature and making it to the top of his profession ; Anna died during that time.

While he was a very successful psychiatrist and researcher, eventually emigrating to the US, Johann Fennhoff was occasionally haunted by visions of is mother. This hallucination urged him to become always more important and successful - even feared. Driven by these schizophrenic episodes, Fennhoff started calling himself Doctor Faustus after the classic play. As Faustus, he wished to prove his mastery of the human mind by plotting to break the psyche of the most remarkable and resolute persons he could locate — such as super-heroes.

anyway.. his parents were against the Nazi bs... he conjured the images feared by subjects like Cap... and of course those images he fears the most are his generations biggest fear( Nazi's)