• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Agent Carter on ABC Spoiler-filled Thread (Sneak Peek Preview released)
2 2

513 posts in this topic

I think you are both missing my point. Thompson knows who she is and what she is capable of (as seen in the clip with the Howling Commandos). This is not your normal woman and yet he and the rest of the dorks working there are portrayed as being sexist insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the office setting. I find that hard to believe. Of all the men in the world at this time-- at the very least this Thompson character with a very intimate knowledge of this particular woman should not be acting this way. ADD to this that we are not talking about average men either-- these are supposed to be highly intelligent agents. How exactly did some of the nimrods get in this group? There is being accurate to a time period but then there is also being accurate to a profession. I would not be upset with them acting that way to the average woman outside the office but it simply makes no sense to me to portray them that way towards AC. These are the supposed to be the pre-cursors of SHIELD, not some dime store private detectives. The way Howard Stark acts with her would seem more in line with the level of professionalism this group would have -- I want to think they are like a super CIA/FBI type of organization.

sorry- it is the only thing about this show I find disingenuous.

No, I read what you wrote, and get what you are saying. No worries with that.

What they may be conveying is the shift that took place for some men, where there was a feeling of going back to 'traditional roles' after the war. This could lead to friction in the office, where they would call things out to get the ladies straight how they wanted the arrangement due to discomfort with their capabilities.

You and I may not think like that. But there were definitely folks back then that desired to keep the genders separated with treatment and rights.

Your replies seem to be focusing on a singular aspect-- perhaps my fault as it was my lead argument.

It isn't just about the treatment of women that is annoying-- it is the lack of intelligence displayed in general by this elite group of spies. Most of them are portrayed as dopes. I'm not expecting rocket scientists but they seem to be written like average Joes. Like making them talk a certain way is a little over the top to make them sound authentic to the time period.

or maybe they are being written that way to make them sound more like comic book characters from the time period (that would kind of make some sense).

It isn't killing the whole thing for me- I just think they could write those guys a little smarter and more polished without losing authenticity. Kind of like how they wrote the actors in the recent show Manhattan.

You've obviously never been a woman;)

IT's very easy to be assigned roles by supposedly intelligent men who work with you and are the same job title/grade as you. Unless you are exploiting sex to get ahead, most woman have to work a little bit harder to get to the same place.

It's "better" and over the years has gotten much better, but it's still there.

When someone doesn't get it, I remind them of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. She danced every move he did, only she had to do it in heels and backwards.

He got most of the credit;)

Your replies seem to be focusing on a singular aspect-- perhaps my fault as it was my lead argument.

It isn't just about the treatment of women that is annoying-- it is the lack of intelligence displayed in general by this elite group of spies. Most of them are portrayed as dopes. I'm not expecting rocket scientists but they seem to be written like average Joes. Like making them talk a certain way is a little over the top to make them sound authentic to the time period.

or maybe they are being written that way to make them sound more like comic book characters from the time period (that would kind of make some sense).

It isn't killing the whole thing for me- I just think they could write those guys a little smarter and more polished without losing authenticity. Kind of like how they wrote the actors in the recent show Manhattan.

Myself, I think you both are right. The main problem with the characters is probably they are going through rewrites to make the show run better for the Modern era audience too. They probably wrote these characters really good (reflecting male chauvinism of the era), but have to hack away their screen time for more Agent Carter action to hook a Marvel audience also sacrificing a tone, thus making them look poorly written for the elite organization. Remember, you are watching a Disney product. They tend to water down anything that might make a worldwide audience uncomfortable. Movies with Walt Disney himself won't show him smoking, the nazis in Captain America barely get screentime, if you are hooker you'll be played by Julia Roberts and have a heart of gold, etc etc

When someone doesn't get it, I remind them of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. She danced every move he did, only she had to do it in heels and backwards.

More people probably know who Julianne Hough is than Fred Astaire now. :baiting:

More people probably know who Julianne Hough is than Fred Astaire now. :baiting:

I guessed correctly, but had to look her up, lol;)

I absolutely try to avoid reality tv. I watch tv for some unreality;)

Which is why I don't care about the "errors" in Agent Carter, I just have fun watching it:)

Lyndsy Fonseca Talks AGENT CARTER; Describes ANGIE And PEGGY's Bond

------------------

Lyndsy then tells how it feels to work with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how a strong female role has a great significance, "Marvel is a big universe, so all I can [discuss] is my experience with the show, but I've got to say, it's woman power, you know, with Peggy." She elaborates by saying that she thinks young girls really need to see a strong female character like Peggy, "Two women showrunners write a show that is not just being cliché -- they're really, truly writing a strong female, and I think that girls need to see that."

------------------

Great episode last night -- riveting. They go to commercial breaks at the perfect moment. The sub-plots are all moving together nicely. I thought the shootout in the Russian building could have been directed better, but that's a small complaint in what has been 5 excellent episodes. I think 2 more episodes left, and then ... MAOS resumes :cry: