• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Agent Carter on ABC Spoiler-filled Thread (Sneak Peek Preview released)
2 2

513 posts in this topic

I watched both episodes today, and really liked this.

:applause:

I like well-done period pieces anyway. But even better that it involves a strong female character standing out during a time where men were assumed to be the dominate contributors. This show reminds us otherwise.

----------------------

By 1945, more than 18 million U.S. women worked in defense industries and support services. Shipyards in the San Francisco Bay Area employed more than 240,000 people. By wars end these shipyards built 4,600 ships-nearly half of all the cargo vessels and warships delivered for the war effort.

On a plaque overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge at the Rosie the Riveter Memorial in Richmond's Marina Bay, a shipyard worker is quoted, "You must tell your children, putting modesty aside, that without us, without women, there would have been no spring in 1945."

----------------------

Though after the war, many of those jobs changed. I think they did a good job representing this in the show. How this major contributor was now relegated to a clerk's job. What a waste of experience that would have been.

Though after the war, many of those jobs changed. I think they did a good job representing this in the show. How this major contributor was now relegated to a clerk's job. What a waste of experience that would have been.
That's why the documentary on the Wonder Woman DVD was so spectacular. I never knew, that after the war, women were just basically told go back home and clean and make babies after all their hard work while their husbands were overseas.

That's why the documentary on the Wonder Woman DVD was so spectacular. I never knew, that after the war, women were just basically told go back home and clean and make babies after all their hard work while their husbands were overseas.

Different times, different thinking. It is amazing after all those contributions to just be kicked back to the house for reproduction and cooking.

Different times, different thinking. It is amazing after all those contributions to just be kicked back to the house for reproduction and cooking.

I was also thinking, Marvel stole DC's thunder a little if they intended to carry through with a 1940's setting for the Wonder Woman feature film, as well as having a strong woman in the leading role.

its interesting when people try to compare it to Shield as they are so completely different as story telling vehicles. Shield necessarily introduces a whole new area of the MCU and brand new characters that people havent seen. Carter is continuing directly from a movie, using existing characters, and therefore can hit the ground running, and immediately be used to tie different plot lines and events together. It's an Apples and Oranges comparison.

I think it's apples to apples, or oranges to oranges. Like Peggy Carter coming off the Captain America First Avenger movie, MAOS came off the Avengers movie with a respected and well-liked character (Agent Coulson) that serves as the anchor character of MAOS. MAOS also had the support of Nick Fury in a couple of episodes (you could draw the analogy to the Howard Stark character in Agent Carter), and one of the central storylines in MAOS is the build-up to the end of the almost atrocious season one, which was the HYDRA insurrection at SHIELD HQ in the Captain America Winter Soldier movie. For whatever reason, and particularly in its first season, MAOS writers decided not to leverage the Marvel Universe library and, instead, they baked up new stuff that was pretty boring, at least for most of its first season.

Absolutely loved it. At first I was confused as I starting with watching Ep 2 without realizing it. About 8 minutes in I thought something was off and went back to Hulu and saw my error. So started on Ep 1 and smooth sailing.

As some insightful folks have commented, the sets, costume, music and feel of this show are outstanding. Haley Atwell does a great job as Carter and the rest of the cast really adds to the show.

For me this is the best comic book based series I have yet to see. I hope they maintain what they started!

So with Ant-Man (Hank Pym) apparently being around back then do you suppose we will see him (or any other older heroes?)

EDIT: I guess he would have been 60's/70's not 40's.

It's a limited series, so the possibilites are ... limited. But the period is late 40s so you would think they can be pulling stuff from the Timely library. Maybe Dr. Phineas Horton (creator of the original Torch) or Tom Halloway (Angel) or Madeline Joyce Fank (Miss America) or Louise Grant Mason (Blonde Phantom) makes an appearance? Or references to the Invaders or the All-Winners Squad? :cloud9:

Wouldn't also mind seeing or hearing a name drop of millie the model, tessie the typist or hedy devine.

Hayley Atwell Says AGENT CARTER Will Surprise

-----------------

If you're like me and intrigued to see where Agent Carter is headed, you'll be happy to hear that star, Hayley Atwell says that there are plently of surprises still to come on the miniseries. "It takes a completely different turn," from the two-hour premiere. "It's exciting the direction it takes. It's really clever the way the writers stayed on top of everything. Just when the audience goes, 'Alright, I know what the show is,' it goes into a different direction."

Fans are already speculating upon whether the Winter Soldier(Sebastian Stan) or Arnim Zolla (Toby Jones) could appear on the show which would certainly count as a surprise. There are also theories that various members of The Howling Commandos could show up as well.

-----------------

:o:o

Marvel's AGENT CARTER "The Blitzkrieg Button" Synopsis; Stan Lee Cameo

-----------------

Last month at the book signing of Roy Thomas' 75 Years Of Marvel: From The Golden Age To The Silver Screen, Marvel Comics' legendary founder Stan Lee revealed that he was going to appear in Agent Carter. He even revealed that his cameo would be in the fourth episode, "The Blitzkrieg Button."

Appearance summary: Stan Lee as man (next to Howard Stark).

-----------------

:o

So many surprises already with this show. And it isn't even deep into the season.

:ohnoez::ohnoez:

It was okay for a first episode. Probably watch the rest. Hope they don't use the radio show thru-out the whole series. Felt bad for the poor room mate. Sheesh! Get sent home sick, only to take a bullet to the head! Will Leviathan be this shows Clairvoyant? :facepalm: Also, gold dress not very flattering to our heroine's caboose. :eek: Preview shows Dum Dum Dugan. Should be fun.

Hayley Atwell Says AGENT CARTER Will Surprise

-----------------

If you're like me and intrigued to see where Agent Carter is headed, you'll be happy to hear that star, Hayley Atwell says that there are plently of surprises still to come on the miniseries. "It takes a completely different turn," from the two-hour premiere. "It's exciting the direction it takes. It's really clever the way the writers stayed on top of everything. Just when the audience goes, 'Alright, I know what the show is,' it goes into a different direction."

Fans are already speculating upon whether the Winter Soldier(Sebastian Stan) or Arnim Zolla (Toby Jones) could appear on the show which would certainly count as a surprise. There are also theories that various members of The Howling Commandos could show up as well.

-----------------

:o:o

Didn't the preview already show the Howling Commandos?

I thought it was fun and really well done. We enjoy MAOS as well, but I think the big difference here is that with that show you're painfully aware that you're only seeing glimpses of the Marvel Cinematic universe.

But with Agent Carter you're literally seeing everything. With Peggy and Stark they've seeded the show with the most charasmatic surviving folks from the first Cap film so it feels like a great jumping off point. If they do bring in Zola or Winter Soldier that would be a bonus.

So I'm optimistic for sure.

James D'Arcy Teases Backstory of Jarvis On AGENT CARTER

------------------

He recently sat down with the good people at Entertainment Weekly to speak about his relationship with Howard Stark. He said, “Howard did something for him that had an enormous [impact] in both his life and his wife’s life. As a result of that, I think Jarvis feels extremely loyal towards somebody of, let’s face it, questionable morality.” D’Arcy’s remarks seem to indicate that Stark has done something unethical that has not yet been revealed. In all likelihood, Peggy Carter will discover this in a future episode.

------------------

So with Ant-Man (Hank Pym) apparently being around back then do you suppose we will see him (or any other older heroes?)

It's a limited series, so the possibilites are ... limited. But the period is late 40s so you would think they can be pulling stuff from the Timely library. Maybe Dr. Phineas Horton (creator of the original Torch) or Tom Halloway (Angel) or Madeline Joyce Fank (Miss America) or Louise Grant Mason (Blonde Phantom) makes an appearance? Or references to the Invaders or the All-Winners Squad? :cloud9:

Wouldn't also mind seeing or hearing a name drop of millie the model, tessie the typist or hedy devine.

Man that would be so awesome. :cloud9:

Man that would be so awesome. :cloud9:

Really great idea. So good I think someone needs to write the producers ASAP.