• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official 2014 CGC Forums Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-Up.

1,041 posts in this topic

Hard to control what people do with gifts. I, personally, keep the Secret Santa gifts for awhile, even if they are nothing I'm interested in.

Do we know if the people who haven't contacted or sent out gifts to the remaining people are new to the site?

I sent my Secret Santa their present early and they opened it early and took part of it out and sent it to his Secret Santa which arrived after Christmas as an added bonus. The worst part is that what he sent them was nowhere in their wish list or collection focus. :sorry:

:facepalm:

Ultimately it was his loss though. Since he didnt list what he actually liked other than CGC + Superhero stuff, I sent him a full box with a variety of super-hero stuff in it, so he would have several SS packages under his tree. Once he typed me a thank you, I was going to ask him what he actually collected and send him a CGC book of that character. I never got a thank you and then I found out about the re-gift so I will just hold on to that second present. sigh....

I sent my Secret Santa their present early and they opened it early and took part of it out and sent it to his Secret Santa which arrived after Christmas as an added bonus. The worst part is that what he sent them was nowhere in their wish list or collection focus. :sorry:

Ultimately it was his loss though. Since he didnt list what he actually liked other than CGC + Superhero stuff, I sent him a full box with a variety of super-hero stuff in it, so he would have several SS packages under his tree. Once he typed me a thank you, I was going to ask him what he actually collected and send him a CGC book of that character. I never got a thank you and then I found out about the re-gift so I will just hold on to that second present. sigh....

Seriously no thank you? Sigh. Folks it's simple manners to thank someone for giving you a gift. At least send a PM thanking the person. Maybe I'm just old school....

Listen guys, I never complained about anything and I did NOT add my name to the list again. That was GiftGuardian who did this. I just wanted to let him know because he asked me to let him know when EVERYTHING arrived and that is not the case at the moment.

It's sad how some people jump to conclusions before actually thinking about it or even knowing the whole story...

I even told my SS that it wasn't necessary to send a second gift because I don't care if the gift arrives in time or not. And I told him that it was very kind of him that he did. You can read all about it in the raffle thread.

Really to much drama this hear with the Gift exchange and the raffle...

Happy New Year!

Seriously no thank you? Sigh. Folks it's simple manners to thank someone for giving you a gift. At least send a PM thanking the person. Maybe I'm just old school....

Is this a good opportunity to once again thank Shadow for the best Secret Santa present ever? I can guarantee you that it will never be regifted or sold on EBay! Still have last years presents too! And have gone over them again and again. Sorry that some are having problems, but I have loved it so far. And as someone who signed up for the "follow up presents" and am awaiting GGNYC's word to send out some more stuff!

wow

I should probably just not say anything and let everyone enjoy the holidays but I'm thinking this will be my last year participating. People not sending out their gifts, people complaining about their gifts, and people immediately throwing up their gifts on EBay has pretty much taken the fun out it for me.

Again, thanks to GG for putting up with all the drama and to my SS for the great gift.

Seriously?? (Bolded part) I was unaware that happened though I expected it from a few. I sent my Secret Santa their present early and they opened it early and took part of it out and sent it to his Secret Santa which arrived after Christmas as an added bonus. The worst part is that what he sent them was nowhere in their wish list or collection focus. :sorry:

I still think it is a small minority that do this sort of thing. The active board members that interact a lot and not sellers only, seem to really enjoy the exchange and put a lot of effort into it.

I would like to start by saying, I'm sad that you guys had this experience. It's rare to see these things happen in the gift exchange and it certainly isn't normal behavior. The success and happiness rate would likely clock in at around 97%.

Someone selling their gifts is inevitable, but to sell them a week after they got it obviously wouldn't sit right with everyone. The big question is "how long do they need to hold it for before it's alright to sell?" Or must they take it to the grave with them?

The guy that took his SS gift and immediately sent it to the SS he was supposed to send a gift to is flabbergasting. I'm still in disbelief that this guy did that. Total A-hole behavior. :facepalm:

My last words of "wisdom" would be to not give up on this gift exchange. It truly can be a wonderful time, giving and receiving. :cloud9:

Is this a good opportunity to once again thank Shadow for the best Secret Santa present ever? I can guarantee you that it will never be regifted or sold on EBay! Still have last years presents too! And have gone over them again and again. Sorry that some are having problems, but I have loved it so far. And as someone who signed up for the "follow up presents" and am awaiting GGNYC's word to send out some more stuff!

Sounds like a good idea - thanks again to CAHokie for sending me "not a SS gift" that was totally a SS gift, even though I wasn't part of the exchange! (The quoted part was actually written on the box ;) )

The run of X-O Manowar he sent me is all of 8 issues shy of a complete run, and since I have the VEI hardback book, I am really only 2 issues short of a reading set. If I could track down reader copies of 67 & 68, these would be great to have bound in a hardback book... which is what I am currently planning on doing with them.

Thanks again, man!!!

:applause:

-slym

In the 3 years I have participated in the Holiday Exchange, I can honestly say, everything I have gotten has been extremely appreciated. I got some really cool stuff, some upgrades to books I already had, and some stuff I never would have known about that are really cool. I don't think a few problems should outweigh the generosity that people have shown here.

And on the other side, I am always a bit nervous that my recipients will like their gifts. And I am always glad when they do.

I'm in for next year!

It didnt sour me at all on the exchange. It was just a couple of bad seeds but that will always happen. Most boardies rocked it. I loved my gift from Mangbus! :headbang: This is a great board bonding experience each year. If a few dont "get it" that is their loss!

You are welcome Slym!

Before this degrades further into a Comics General mess let me intervene.

Out of 120 members only 8 failed to receive their gifts on time, which is 6% of participants. I would venture to say that 10% put less than stellar effort into choosing the gift, let's say 12 participants and a couple, less than 1%, are questionable at best.

I try to be magnanimous and not publicly embarrass those who fail to do the right thing. Black Lantern, an international boardie, has been screwed over multiple times in the past and comes back every year, with a donation every year. He let me know, like I asked him to, if he received everything he was supposed to. It is extraordinarly inapproriate to call him out as if he's being greedy when he is doing exactly what was asked of him. Jumping to conclusions opens you up to looking foolish, which you do.

This exchange is a lot of work and I don't want it becoming a typical mess show. If you don't want to participate, for whatever reason, don't. But please don't use your personal feelings to leverage communal discontent.

Those members who do the wrong thing, you know who you are, will be excluded from participation.

Now get off the boards, join the real world and start drinking, 21 and older only please; Santa is watching.

Tis the season

GG

List of boardies still waiting for their gifts to arrive:

Pirate

Chadwick

Barth

Black Lantern(added back by me, not by his unbelievably, sinister and dastardly greed)

Flatliner1313

*Please edit and add your name to the list.*

Any updates?

The European board member I sent a gift to hasn't posted here yet or pmed me. He actually hasn't posted anywhere since the first week in December. Should I add him?