• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Of course I realize that but I see that it's under-graded as imo.

What grade do you think it is? It looks to me like a 4.0 or so without the pink drawing on it, so I'd say Meeklo wasn't far off.

Yes I'm grading it as a 4.0/4.5 because I don't see anything in the grading guide that says otherwise

Seller graded it as a G and for good reason. It's nowhere near a 4.0/4.5, not even close with all of the dirt on the back cover and the pink on the front cover. This will be another lesson, learn how to grade and don't buy coloring books.

I've seen worse covers on 4.0/4.5's plus other defects.

Instead of being defensive you should listen to what people are saying and learn something. If everyone is saying you're wrong, you should probably consider that you're wrong.

What grade do you think it is? It looks to me like a 4.0 or so without the pink drawing on it, so I'd say Meeklo wasn't far off.

Yes I'm grading it as a 4.0/4.5 because I don't see anything in the grading guide that says otherwise

I'm not going to hold back on this post but do you have a freaking clue at all???? That book is not even close to a 4.0 WITHOUT THE PINK ALL OVER IT. You've been here for years and think that could possibly be a 4.0/4.5.

You don't have a clue how to grade at all. Without the pink it's a 2.5, 3.0 at best. It's a 1.8/2.0 with the pink.

Stop wasting your money. Sell video games or stick to graded books, but you sir have no idea how to grade. If I got that book in a collection I'd put it out for $5.00.

Jim

I agree that with the substantial writing on the cover this grades out to be a 1.8, 2.0 at the most. Gabe, you really need to reconsider this a side job or whatever you call it because you are not only a horrible business person but you clearly do not know what you're doing.

I disagree I may not be perfect at grading but I'm not terrible at it as you say. When I come across these things I still struggle deciding what grade they are but if if has common defects then I don't. You call it writing and I'm calling it something else maybe that's why we're apart on the grades.

You don't know what you're doing unless someone guides you along and even then you find ways to screw things up. If you don't call that substantial writing then what do you call it?

I call it amateur color touch and I've graded it at what I feel it is.

If you lit your money on fire at least you'd get a little heat out of it as it burned. That'd be better than buying this book for a flip. If anyone had a lingering hope you've learned something you've effectively crushed it.

You don't give me enough credit so I'll ask you this since it had a similar problem my tec 359 2.0 with drawings on it what do you think was the highest offer I received? Next answer what you think FMV for such a comic is.

You're wrong, I don't give you any credit at all. You're either trolling the boards or you really are this clueless to randomly throw money you don't have at worthless books. The Hulk #180 was clearly a stroke of luck rather than a result of you having learned anything, otherwise you wouldn't have followed it up with this "flip" you're going to apparently try to misrepresent.

I don't troll things and if you think I've learned nothing you haven't been paying enough attention. The hulk 180 wasn't luck it was me looking at gpa and hunting that comic out. I bought this comic because I can flip it even in the condition that it's in.

Edited by uchiha101

Color touch up basically enhances the appearance of an otherwise lower grade book to appear like a book in higher grade. So in your opinion, the pink marker on the cover makes it look like a higher grade book?

No I was told that anything that goes on the cover whatever the reason like markers, crayon or whatever else counts as amateur restoration, pencil being the exception to this rule. Also just because it's restoration doesn't mean it will make it look like a higher grade hence the word "Amateur" and this is something a kid drew for fun.

It's not restoration period. Call it what you want to but its a defect. If you consider someone using the cover as a coloring book as "amateur touch up" then it's no wonder you're in the situation you're in.

I was told that's what I should considering someone using it as a coloring book.

So the word "SLAP" written in pink is color touch?

Color touch on a comic usually has purpose... and from my impression, is usually frowned upon. Adding amateur on top of that only makes it worse, imo.

However this is not color touch, it's simply writing/coloring on a comic, and really detracts from the value of this comic. I think Meeklo had it priced/graded right in his sales thread and is probably feeling very good about getting $30 out of it.

I think it's wishful thinking trying to profit on this one.

No, slap is the writing part of it everything else it color touch.

I really have sympathy for those people that are around you and try to help you, especially your parents.

Sympathy huh? Ok.

Color touch up basically enhances the appearance of an otherwise lower grade book to appear like a book in higher grade. So in your opinion, the pink marker on the cover makes it look like a higher grade book?

No I was told that anything that goes on the cover whatever the reason like markers, crayon or whatever else counts as amateur restoration, pencil being the exception to this rule. Also just because it's restoration doesn't mean it will make it look like a higher grade hence the word "Amateur" and this is something a kid drew for fun.

Who on earth told you that?

9358349229_12091b8bd1_c.jpg

Why didn't my 4.5 get Purple Label then? There's a marker "8" on there. According to you it should be SA.

Because it's an allowable defect since comic shop owners did this in the past.

These words make no sense.

9377920291_b8ba1da9d9_c.jpg

That's an ASM 300 9.4 PLOD. It's PLOD because a dealer took a sharpie and put a tiny black dot on the spine to cover up a spine tic. This was something "comic shop owners did in the past" (and was quite rampant because in 1988 there was no CGC and people wouldn't buy a "new" book that had a scuff on it, so dealers would "fix" them)

Seller graded it as a G and for good reason. It's nowhere near a 4.0/4.5, not even close with all of the dirt on the back cover and the pink on the front cover. This will be another lesson, learn how to grade and don't buy coloring books.

Instead of being defensive you should listen to what people are saying and learn something. If everyone is saying you're wrong, you should probably consider that you're wrong.

I am being defensive because what he's saying isn't true, I've seen very dirty back covers that managed to get a 4.0/4.5 but didn't have the pink on the front. Like I've said I see it as one grade and you see it as another but whatever one thinks is that I made a mistake buying this.

Who on earth told you that?

9358349229_12091b8bd1_c.jpg

Why didn't my 4.5 get Purple Label then? There's a marker "8" on there. According to you it should be SA.

Because it's an allowable defect since comic shop owners did this in the past.

These words make no sense.

9377920291_b8ba1da9d9_c.jpg

That's an ASM 300 9.4 PLOD. It's PLOD because a dealer took a sharpie and put a tiny black dot on the spine to cover up a spine tic. This was something "comic shop owners did in the past" (and was quite rampant because in 1988 there was no CGC and people wouldn't buy a "new" book that had a scuff on it, so dealers would "fix" them)

Writing on them not touching them up there's a difference

I'm out. So out.

So you run when I ask you questions?

I bow out when the question is meaningless to the situation at hand. You hear what you want to hear, see what you want to see, and spend what you want to spend. If you think an ASM colored in pink marker is a fine investment after all the advice you've been given then my continued participation is clearly meaningless.

Out.

Gabe, this is why people get frustrated with you. A lot of people have offered advice and tried to help..it appears at least on the surface that you don't listen, especially when you buy books like this. You compound the mistake ( sorry, I still believe this was a bad buy, no matter how you plan on marketing this book ) by defending the mistake to people who're generally more knowledgeable than you are.

Maybe you should've asked your buddy who gave you the DV3 advice what he thought of this book before you pulled the trigger. 2c

Is your confusion because you think that filling in white specks on the cover with black marker is the same as filling in white spots on the cover with marker?

I'm out. So out.

I bow out when the question is meaningless to the situation at hand. You hear what you want to hear, see what you want to see, and spend what you want to spend. If you think an ASM colored in pink marker is a fine investment after all the advice you've been given then my continued participation is clearly meaningless.

Out.

That's not was I was talking about at all you're assuming again and you think my investment with the asm 101 is worthless so I asked you two very simple questions.

My Tec 359 2.0 has similar problems as this asm 101 actually more.

1) What is the highest offer I received?

2) What in your mind is FVM for the tec 359?

I want you to answer these questions and I will prove you wrong here and now unless you believe these too aren't worth answering.

Is your confusion because you think that filling in white specks on the cover with black marker is the same as filling in white spots on the cover with marker?

No I was stating there's a difference between suing pencil to write on the comic and draw or whatever and using a marker or crayon to cover something up and make it look better.

How much do you think you can sell the ASM 101 for?

Around 60-75 dollars

:facepalm:

sold 1

sold 2

sold 3

all in that range --- all look a LOT better than your copy - BEFORE pink ink.......

I don't consider P@X as anything graded but yes you have a point, that only means I'll have to be patient.

Examine the P@X book - structurally it is in MUCH better shape than the one you just bought - not including the VERY LARGE BLEMISH OF PINK INK.

P@X or not - this is what you say you will be trying to sell your book for,,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-Oct-1971-Marvel-1ST-MORBIUS-MID-GRADE-/302110448123?hash=item46572f99fb:g:~2wAAOSw8gVYBDKB

MCS has one in better shape - for 79

and a VG for 90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-VG-3-5-1st-apperance-of-Morbius-/122072685702?hash=item1c6c195c86:g:jGoAAOSwt7ZXo9wM

this one is probably more of a 2.5-3.0 - but no big pink blemish

You should be patient with your purchases - not your sales.

This means that you overpaid again for a book you somehow though was going to flip for double what you paid. . This research is not that difficult to do.

I did do the research before I bought the comic but there's still one thing left, the fact that we're apart on grades because you say it lowers it from that much all the way to a 1.8/2.0? The pink coloring?

Sorry Gabe, you're not 'apart' on grades, you're miles off. Did you even look close at the scans?

Front Cover:

Large horizontal crease from bottom left corner to middle bottom of cover

Multiple creases bottom right corner, running both diagonally and vertically, worst crease running up to Spiderman's right hand more than 1/3 of the way up.

Ragged right edge with small missing pieces reaching mid point of the cover

At a glance, just the defects on the bottom front of the book, listed above, push it to 4.0/3.5 at best. Add in the top right corner wear, top left corner wear, dirty front cover easily seen in the white top left corner, constant wear and color loss along the left edge running about an inch into the book , dirty staples, spine tics, pink coloring and writing, and that's just the front.

Back cover is very dirty and there appears to be a bend - perhaps color breaking - top left that likely runs through the entire book. The back scan also allows a better view of the front cover missing pieces.

I'd grade this at best a 3.0 without the pink color and at best 2.0 with the pink color. And I'd avoid anyone who grades it 4.0/4.5 like the plague.

I'm out. So out.

Out.

That's not was I was talking about at all you're assuming again and you think my investment with the asm 101 is worthless so I asked you two very simple questions.

My Tec 359 2.0 has similar problems as this asm 101 actually more.

1) What is the highest offer I received?

2) What in your mind is FVM for the tec 359?

I want you to answer these questions and I will prove you wrong here and now unless you believe these too aren't worth answering.

before anyone answers --- Gabe - how about you define an estimated multiplier of how much more the TEC is worth in grade than the ASM?

Then educate us on what this means with respect to how this affects the market for the TEC....

Gabe, this is why people get frustrated with you. A lot of people have offered advice and tried to help..it appears at least on the surface that you don't listen, especially when you buy books like this. You compound the mistake ( sorry, I still believe this was a bad buy, no matter how you plan on marketing this book ) by defending the mistake to people who're generally more knowledgeable than you are.

Maybe you should've asked your buddy who gave you the DV3 advice what he thought of this book before you pulled the trigger. 2c

I don't regret my purchase and don't view it as a mistake. I also planned if in the case it was the grade that was given I would still make a profit on it. I can ask my friend and see what he thinks because I'm curious now as well.

Dude, it's a 2.0.

I'd grade it as a 2.0, if I listed it.*

It's worth about what you paid for it, I can't imagine anyone paying more than $40, shipped.

99% of collectors would rather buy a book with heavy wear, foldsears and other common defects than buy a book with writing/doodling on a cover.It kills the artwork.Most I would have paid for that book is ten bucks.I'd price it at $30 + shipping, and list it with other ASM's to increase views.That's all that book is good for.

You're going to grade it as a "restored VG" and price it at $60- $75?

If I did a search on eBay for an ASM 101 and clicked on your listing, saw a misgraded and overpriced book, I would think that you didn't know how to grade and your prices sucked.

So, I wouldn't look at your other listings.

This means you lost a sale on a ASM 101 that you overpaid for, and you lost a buyer on potential other related books.

You are utterly clueless, as a comic dealer.

I AM ADDING MY NAME TO THE "OUT LIST".

Fair enough, show me one.

And it seems strange that you're stating that it's restored - it isn't - and that adds value. Restored books are worth much less and restored, low grade, minor keys are worth little.

8 8