• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, revat said:

Ok, i'll bite on the 'books in america'.  I get that it will open up your market and save you on some costs for shipping and maybe translations fees (generally good things), but does that mean you're not taking the pictures yourself or examining the books you're selling in person?  Are you paying someone to help?  Are they qualified?  Are you gaining the experience you need to improve as a 'professional'?   grading, packing, taking pics are all important things that can be improved with repetition.

Also, about the over-pricing with best offer options, what is the endgame?  Collect offer data for a month then lower the price? a year? How do you know when to sell?  Just hope that if/when the price starts to go up you set an autoaccept at $750?  Do you have SOOOOO many copies that you need to collect data to optimize each sale? Are even capable mathematically of processing the data?  I can see pricing it a little bit high, but most people just skip the ridiculous ones.

You ask lots of questions but this is a smaller dealer and a friend that I trust and grades and ships better than myself. Then endgame is to take the highest offer and I'll know when to sell when I get the right offer and the data is why you use ebay sold listings and gpa

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

This statement tells me you are on the right track! (thumbsu

If this is how he interacts with employers who tell him something he doesn't want to "hear" I can see how he does so well.  Yes, once again, ignore all advice, double down and act like a jack hole

^^

Edited by Wall-Crawler

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

If this is how he interacts with employers who tell him something he doesn't want to "hear" I can see how he does so well.  Yes, once again, ignore all advice, double down and act like a jack hole

^^

No, you're telling me things I already know and I'm not that one that gave sarcastic answer or emojis.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Really?  I always thought the opposite, how clueless am I?

So #1 by itself is worth less than the entire run?

In a lot yes by itself no but there will be exceptions to every rule and I didn't see that happen

10 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

It has zero impact on what the comics are worth that's correct but the amount I paid I have a huge flexibility with what I choose 

I don't care if you got them for free.  Asking $800 is ridiculous.  Yes, not having a lot of capital in a book does allow you to wait longer to sell it, but if you're not going to ask a reasonable price then you'll never enjoy the potential profit.

In other words, You're doing this wrong!

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

I don't care if you got them for free.  Asking $800 is ridiculous.  Yes, not having a lot of capital in a book does allow you to wait longer to sell it, but if you're not going to ask a reasonable price then you'll never enjoy the potential profit.

So you think I'll keep making those mistakes? I know I've made them before but I've been improving. Also, I said I'm willing to wait to get a good offer and should prices rapidly change it will be reflected in my listing

Just now, uchiha101 said:

So you think I'll keep making those mistakes? I know I've made them before but I've been improving. Also, I said I'm willing to wait to get a good offer and should prices rapidly change it will be reflected in my listing

I think you've gotten worse because you think you've improved.  The asking price of $800 on books worth around $300 shows that.  

Prices will not rapidly change downward or upward.  They will likely increase some when the trailer is released but not by 100%.  Your asking price is ridiculous now and will still be ridiculous then and any buyer with half a brain will see your asking price and skip your listing with the understanding that it's not worth making an offer when the starting point is bizarre.

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

I think you've gotten worse because you think you've improved.  The asking price of $800 on books worth around $300 shows that.  

Prices will not rapidly change downward or upward.  They will likely increase some when the trailer is released but not by 100%.  Your asking price is ridiculous now and will still be ridiculous then and any buyer with half a brain will see your asking price and skip your listing with the understanding that it's not worth making an offer when the starting point is bizarre.

That's the thing I value these comics at 400-450 and you're taking the fun out of things. And maybe we don't agree but even low print things can become flooded on ebay and sold cheaply is what I've been saying. As for my outrageous price it's just a test.

13 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

You ask lots of questions but this is a smaller dealer and a friend that I trust and grades and ships better than myself. Then endgame is to take the highest offer and I'll know when to sell when I get the right offer and the data is why you use ebay sold listings and gpa

Dealer can grade and ship better than you, most logical thing you've said in this entire thread.  You're still taking a risk trusting someone else to handle these books for you.  A lot can go wrong.

You don't appear to be using ebay sold listings and gpa data in your price discovery, quite the opposite, you're more than double similar lots.  I can tell you, I hate ebay sellers who price auctions well over market trying to suck out offers well above current market.  It's not illegal but I consider it unethical and you're going on my ebay block list.

1 minute ago, uchiha101 said:
4 minutes ago, Red84 said:

That's the thing I value these comics at 400-450 and you're taking the fun out of things. And maybe we don't agree but even low print things can become flooded on ebay and sold cheaply is what I've been saying. As for my outrageous price it's just a test.

I'm taking the fun out of things?  You want to be a dealer then you have to act like a dealer.  If you value the books at $450 and still ask $800 that's bizarre and VERY bad business.  You want to leave room for negotiation? Fine, I do that to, but within reason.  I like to negotiate so if I value something at $450 I might ask $600 at a show, but not every time and not with mid grade common modern books.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Dealer can grade and ship better than you, most logical thing you've said in this entire thread.  You're still taking a risk trusting someone else to handle these books for you.  A lot can go wrong.

You don't appear to be using ebay sold listings and gpa data in your price discovery, quite the opposite, you're more than double similar lots.  I can tell you, I hate ebay sellers who price auctions well over market trying to suck out offers well above current market.  It's not illegal but I consider it unethical and you're going on my ebay block list.

You're making a bigger deal out of this than is needed and you're gonna block me for testing things? I suggest you read my above posts unless you're just responding to what's convenient to you  

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

I'm taking the fun out of things?  You want to be a dealer then you have to act like a dealer.  If you value the books at $450 and still ask $800 that's bizarre and VERY bad business.  You want to leave room for negotiation? Fine, I do that to, but within reason.  I like to negotiate so if I value something at $450 I might ask $600 at a show, but not every time and not with mid grade common modern books.

So what do I do about other dealers and lowballers? They go right past the negotiation amount that's why I price it high because dealers offer 30-50% which sucks 

Just now, uchiha101 said:

So what do I do about other dealers and lowballers? They go right past the negotiation amount that's why I price it high because dealers offer 30-50% which sucks 

Well, first of all, if you're asking 2x what a book is worth $800 vs $400 and a dealer offers you 50% of $800 then they are actually offering you what the book is worth ($400).  If someone is actually lowballing you and offering much less than what it is worth you can either ignore them as not serious or counter with an offer that you think is fair.  What you are doing by severely overpricing your books is the same as the buyer who severely lowballs.  They are both bad and 2 sides of the same coin.

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

Well, first of all, if you're asking 2x what a book is worth $800 vs $400 and a dealer offers you 50% of $800 then they are actually offering you what the book is worth ($400).  If someone is actually lowballing you and offering much less than what it is worth you can either ignore them as not serious or counter with an offer that you think is fair.  What you are doing by severely overpricing your books is the same as the buyer who severely lowballs.  They are both bad and 2 sides of the same coin.

I see, and it makes sense what you're saying but you have to remember I also have to calculate 15% fees into this as well in addition to whatever the person offers that's usually why I put it up because if you add those factors together it's almost the whole pie if you will.

3 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:
7 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I see, and it makes sense what you're saying but you have to remember I also have to calculate 15% fees into this as well in addition to whatever the person offers that's usually why I put it up because if you add those factors together it's almost the whole pie if you will.

A buyer doesn't care about your fees.  The fees do not change what the book is worth.  The fees are the cost of doing business on eBay which allows you to sell to millions of people.  The fees are just part of your costs and they reduce your profit.  This is why it's important to get a good price when you buy books to re-sell because the fees and time all add up.

Edited by Red84

8 8