• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Welfare!???

I'm sure the people with normal jobs who are now paying your bills are equally happy to see you spending so much time online keeping a journal of trying to sell comic books instead of, oh I dunno, getting a real job.

Instead of celebrating the fact that you now got other people to pay your bills for you instead of you paying them yourself, you should put your hobby aside so that you can work on celebrating the fact (if and when it ever happens) that you got a stable job with a stable income and don't have to pass your bills onto people who work at real jobs all day and pay your bills while you "work" on finding a way to go to Comicon.

This trainwreck just keeps delivering.

And to those who say people on welfare are often there due to circumstances beyond their control - BS. And this thread is a perfect example of it. Almost everyone on welfare is there because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life.

I'll make this clear to you. I'm not celebrating the fact that I'm on welfare I'm happy to have gotten it as opposed to being on the streets. I do spend my time looking for jobs and when I finish what I'm doing I sell and look at comics in my free time. You make it sound like I'm trying to scam people my need for money while I look for a job is real. I disagree you can't control every decision in your life and if you can you must be god. I'm not saying you can't prepare for it but you can't prepare for everything and FYI the money that I use to go to comic con is my own not welfare's as what I sell I let them know so they take that away from me and what I get the next month. Oh and I'm selling comics to get ahead and pay rent because I hope that won't bother you. Also if you wanna get technical I paid more in taxes and I have gotten 1 month of welfare. I'm not doing this to be lazy I'm taking advantage of something that's being offered to me.

I never called you lazy or trying to scam anyone.

Let me be blunt - you don't have free-time or spare-money. You're giving your bills to someone else while buying and selling funny books thinking that money will pay for Comicon - which is a path to continued poverty.

I'm not arguing with you or trying to belittle or insult you, I'm really not - I'm trying to give you advice that is far better than the advice you've taken which has resulted in you being where you are, unable to support yourself.

Doing this is what perpetuates the "cycle of poverty" - the misunderstanding and inability to manage money, how to balance priorities, how to delay gratification and how to put off one's "wants" until they've become self-sufficient. Even birds don't start laying eggs until they're done building their nest.

Where you are in life is mostly not because of what happens to you, it's mostly because of how you react to what happens to you and the cumulative effects of those choices. That's how lottery-winners end up dirt poor a year later. Poverty rarely has anything to do with money, it has to do with choices, habits, decisions and priorities.

I'm really not trying to bag on you, honestly, I'm just giving advice that I know (after 50+ years) is good advice. And this is coming from someone who was at one time so broke I was eating out of a relish jar for my meals.

Unless you're a child, as an adult it's your choices that have put you where you are, not anyone else's.

If you do happen to make a little money, you're foolishly spending that money on luxuries (Comicon is a luxury, not a business expense so don't fool yourself) that you should be SAVING so that you can fully support yourself and don't have to pass your bills onto other people.

I know you're gonna do what you want, and I wish you luck, because until you choose to get a stable job with a steady income, luck is really all you have.

My plan is different but almost the same. I want to get a job so that I can become stable but at the same time I still have all these comics here with me. I'm not kidding myself that I would say it's a business expense to go to comic con which is why I'll use my own money that I've made. I'll read over what you said in more detail as well because I do agree I've made poor choices but I'm making up for them.

Welfare!???

I'm sure the people with normal jobs who are now paying your bills are equally happy to see you spending so much time online keeping a journal of trying to sell comic books instead of, oh I dunno, getting a real job.

Instead of celebrating the fact that you now got other people to pay your bills for you instead of you paying them yourself, you should put your hobby aside so that you can work on celebrating the fact (if and when it ever happens) that you got a stable job with a stable income and don't have to pass your bills onto people who work at real jobs all day and pay your bills while you "work" on finding a way to go to Comicon.

And to those who say people on welfare are often there due to circumstances beyond their control - BS. And this thread is a perfect example of it. Almost everyone on welfare is there because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life.

I'll make this clear to you. I'm not celebrating the fact that I'm on welfare I'm happy to have gotten it as opposed to being on the streets. I do spend my time looking for jobs and when I finish what I'm doing I sell and look at comics in my free time. You make it sound like I'm trying to scam people my need for money while I look for a job is real. I disagree you can't control every decision in your life and if you can you must be god. I'm not saying you can't prepare for it but you can't prepare for everything and FYI the money that I use to go to comic con is my own not welfare's as what I sell I let them know so they take that away from me and what I get the next month. Oh and I'm selling comics to get ahead and pay rent because I hope that won't bother you. Also if you wanna get technical I paid more in taxes and I have gotten 1 month of welfare. I'm not doing this to be lazy I'm taking advantage of something that's being offered to me.

Let me be blunt - you don't have free-time or spare-money. You're giving your bills to someone else while buying and selling funny books thinking that money will pay for Comicon - which is a path to continued poverty.

I'm not arguing with you or trying to belittle or insult you, I'm really not - I'm trying to give you advice that is far better than the advice you've taken which has resulted in you being where you are, unable to support yourself.

Doing this is what perpetuates the "cycle of poverty" - the misunderstanding and inability to manage money, how to balance priorities, how to delay gratification and how to put off one's "wants" until they've become self-sufficient. Even birds don't start laying eggs until they're done building their nest.

Where you are in life is mostly not because of what happens to you, it's mostly because of how you react to what happens to you and the cumulative effects of those choices. That's how lottery-winners end up dirt poor a year later. Poverty rarely has anything to do with money, it has to do with choices, habits, decisions and priorities.

I'm really not trying to bag on you, honestly, I'm just giving advice that I know (after 50+ years) is good advice. And this is coming from someone who was at one time so broke I was eating relish out of a jar for my meals.

Unless you're a child, as an adult it's your choices that have put you where you are, not anyone else's.

If you do happen to make a little money, you're foolishly spending that money on luxuries (Comicon is a luxury, not a business expense so don't fool yourself) that you should be SAVING so that you can fully support yourself and don't have to pass your bills onto other people.

I know you're gonna do what you want, and I wish you luck, because until you choose to get a stable job with a steady income, luck is really all you have.

+1

Did you receive your end of the trade?

No what we agreed on was as soon as he gets his end he'll ship his comics to me. I'll be talking to the po on my side as well.

I am sorry to see this happened. I love to trade but the 'usual' arrangement is both parties ship at the same time. I would not do it any other way. If you both agree to ship at the same time and you ship but he doesn't, you can always stop the delivery.

Did you receive your end of the trade?

No what we agreed on was as soon as he gets his end he'll ship his comics to me. I'll be talking to the po on my side as well.

I am sorry to see this happened. I love to trade but the 'usual' arrangement is both parties ship at the same time. I would not do it any other way. If you both agree to ship at the same time and you ship but he doesn't, you can always stop the delivery.

I'm not sure if I can do that as it says on the tracking that it's been delivered but I'll ask.

I once had a book that I sent through Canada Post and USPS to Arizona. The package had tracking and showed delivered but the recipient said it never arrived. I didn't send it with signature required.

I made a claim with Canada Post and received my money back for the insured amount through Canada Post in the form of a mailed cheque.

Did you send the package with "signature required" for the extra $1.50 through Canada Post?

Welfare!???

I'm really not trying to bag on you, honestly, I'm just giving advice that I know (after 50+ years) is good advice. And this is coming from someone who was at one time so broke I was eating out of a relish jar for my meals.

My plan is different but almost the same. I want to get a job so that I can become stable but at the same time I still have all these comics here with me. I'm not kidding myself that I would say it's a business expense to go to comic con which is why I'll use my own money that I've made. I'll read over what you said in more detail as well because I do agree I've made poor choices but I'm making up for them.

you may not see it, but your defense, while honest, is digging you a deeper whole in the eyes of many readers.

For right or wrong, you are on welfare. This means that your government is collecting taxpayer money from other people to support you because it has deemed that you are unable to currently provide for yourself in terms of food and shelter. Without debating the merits of why people are on welfare (and whether or not it should or should not exist), that means that any money you spend on anything is welfare money, because you would be spending it on food and shelter if not for the welfare money. Or that if you have enough disposable income to have fun (at significant cost), that you don't need to be on welfare. Yes of course you're within your technical legal rights to accept welfare if you qualify, and spend the money as you see fit (barring any government restrictions), but its a matter of perception, personally and professionally.

If gave a homeless man a ten dollar bill, then he turns around and spends it on crack. You wouldn't be happy. And you wouldn't be more happy if he said "Oh I washed this guys car yesterday for $10, that's my crack money. I'm gonna spend the money YOU GAVE me on food today. Thanks bro" You're not likely to donate to him again or to want to give him $10 to wash your car tomorrow or in the future.

With that being said, we don't know the situation that led to you being on welfare OR the situation that will lead you to Niagara Comic Con, other than what you post. But if you're looking for advice and opinions, people are definitely going to have them based on what you're posting, which roughly translates as:

"Its tough to find a job, I'm on welfare now. I might have gotten screwed on a pretty large trade (even though everyone has advised me against trading), but I'm going cross country to a medium sized comic con in a few months, as an ATTENDEE. But don't worry, I'm paying my own way to the con. "

NO ONE is hoping that you're paying your own way to the con. We're all hoping you're being a paid employee, or at least a volunteer intern of some sort, otherwise its NOT WORTH IT, at ALL. Otherwise its just a lot of money spent to go there and a bunch more opportunities to make more poor comic buying/selling decisions.

Please please please go on youtube and watch videos to learn a skill, or go on edx to take some free classes if you can't afford them. Go to the library or book store and study for some vocational test, go to the gym and get ready for military or police or fireman, go to the chinese restaurant and wash dishes, anything. Call up every carpenter or plumber in the area and ask to be an unpaid learning intern, then watch youtube videos to help you learn in your own free time, and impress them with your knowledge. Heck you could even move to China and be one of the 'white guys' who get rented out to make companies and parties appear to be more international and classy.

Peace Corps? A lot of these things are HUGE steps, but you're in a position where life should be about survival, not success. Would you rather be the poorest guy in Canada, or surviving guy in Guatemala helping kids get fresh drinking water, but building skills and helping people.

A lot of times the best way to help yourself is to help others.

I do understand there's such a thing as generational poverty and a certain mindset that goes along with it, and that a learning disability is tough too and I'm glad that you have hope and are willing to learn. But it also takes a willingness to invest time, commit to something, and to be bold.

I once had a book that I sent through Canada Post and USPS to Arizona. The package had tracking and showed delivered but the recipient said it never arrived. I didn't send it with signature required.

I made a claim with Canada Post and received my money back for the insured amount through Canada Post in the form of a mailed cheque.

Did you send the package with "signature required" for the extra $1.50 through Canada Post?

No I put insurance and tracking on it though.

Welfare!???

you may not see it, but your defense, while honest, is digging you a deeper whole in the eyes of many readers.

For right or wrong, you are on welfare. This means that your government is collecting taxpayer money from other people to support you because it has deemed that you are unable to currently provide for yourself in terms of food and shelter. Without debating the merits of why people are on welfare (and whether or not it should or should not exist), that means that any money you spend on anything is welfare money, because you would be spending it on food and shelter if not for the welfare money. Or that if you have enough disposable income to have fun (at significant cost), that you don't need to be on welfare. Yes of course you're within your technical legal rights to accept welfare if you qualify, and spend the money as you see fit (barring any government restrictions), but its a matter of perception, personally and professionally.

If gave a homeless man a ten dollar bill, then he turns around and spends it on crack. You wouldn't be happy. And you wouldn't be more happy if he said "Oh I washed this guys car yesterday for $10, that's my crack money. I'm gonna spend the money YOU GAVE me on food today. Thanks bro" You're not likely to donate to him again or to want to give him $10 to wash your car tomorrow or in the future.

With that being said, we don't know the situation that led to you being on welfare OR the situation that will lead you to Niagara Comic Con, other than what you post. But if you're looking for advice and opinions, people are definitely going to have them based on what you're posting, which roughly translates as:

"Its tough to find a job, I'm on welfare now. I might have gotten screwed on a pretty large trade (even though everyone has advised me against trading), but I'm going cross country to a medium sized comic con in a few months, as an ATTENDEE. But don't worry, I'm paying my own way to the con. "

NO ONE is hoping that you're paying your own way to the con. We're all hoping you're being a paid employee, or at least a volunteer intern of some sort, otherwise its NOT WORTH IT, at ALL. Otherwise its just a lot of money spent to go there and a bunch more opportunities to make more poor comic buying/selling decisions.

Please please please go on youtube and watch videos to learn a skill, or go on edx to take some free classes if you can't afford them. Go to the library or book store and study for some vocational test, go to the gym and get ready for military or police or fireman, go to the chinese restaurant and wash dishes, anything. Call up every carpenter or plumber in the area and ask to be an unpaid learning intern, then watch youtube videos to help you learn in your own free time, and impress them with your knowledge. Heck you could even move to China and be one of the 'white guys' who get rented out to make companies and parties appear to be more international and classy.

Peace Corps? A lot of these things are HUGE steps, but you're in a position where life should be about survival, not success. Would you rather be the poorest guy in Canada, or surviving guy in Guatemala helping kids get fresh drinking water, but building skills and helping people.

A lot of times the best way to help yourself is to help others.

I do understand there's such a thing as generational poverty and a certain mindset that goes along with it, and that a learning disability is tough too and I'm glad that you have hope and are willing to learn. But it also takes a willingness to invest time, commit to something, and to be bold.

Yes there are still lots of things I haven't tried and I'm not going across the country to go to comic con it's a couple minutes bus ride. I will check out those free classes thought I've been thinking about them for a while. I have yet to apply to all the restaurants here but I'm applying to the ones that are hiring.

sigh, Gabriel insurance only covers damage. You trade is gonna turn out to be a total loss. This Facebook person has your books and likely never had any intention to sent his side of the deal.

Why are you doing trades with anonymous people on facebook? It's probably the most dangerous venue for trading, buying or selling. Avoid facebook.

And please, quit doing trades other than trading comics for money. There are too many things that can and have gone wrong.

Regarding welfare, there's an optics problem. You shouldn't depend on welfare for help until you've exhausted all of your resources. You should sell your comics to pay bills before resorting to welfare.

sigh, Gabriel insurance only covers damage. You trade is gonna turn out to be a total loss. This Facebook person has your books and likely never had any intention to sent his side of the deal.

Why are you doing trades with anonymous people on facebook? It's probably the most dangerous venue for trading, buying or selling. Avoid facebook.

And please, quit doing trades other than trading comics for money. There are too many things that can and have gone wrong.

Regarding welfare, there's an optics problem. You shouldn't depend on welfare for help until you've exhausted all of your resources. You should sell your comics to pay bills before resorting to welfare.

I've called them before and the PO told me if they lose it they also pay insurance.Perhaps he has them if that's the case I'm not sure why he offered to pay for it should it not turn up and the PO can't do anything about it. Regarding welfare it kinda was my last resort as I had no money left, rent was coming up and my comics weren't selling at all. I've had great trades on facebook and yes there are a lot of things that got wrong but I always ask for references beforehand.

No entry-level, low paying opportunities, Gabe? McDonalds, etc?

I've applied and I haven't heard back yet and I think my resume looks good because I've seen people with worse get hired.

The logic here doesn't make any sense.

Either your resume is actually inferior to those you deem "worse" (otherwise you'd be called in for the interview instead of the other guys)

OR

Your resume really is superior to others but some other factor is keeping you from netting that all-important interview.

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you hand in resumes wearing a hoodie. Have you changed this practice? Slacks. Collared shirt. Tie. Neat hair. Clean shoes. Consider them all mandatory each time you turn in an application.

And be sure you're handing your resume to a manager and not just the first person you see behind the counter.

No entry-level, low paying opportunities, Gabe? McDonalds, etc?

I've applied and I haven't heard back yet and I think my resume looks good because I've seen people with worse get hired.

The logic here doesn't make any sense.

Either your resume is actually inferior to those you deem "worse" (otherwise you'd be called in for the interview instead of the other guys)

OR

Your resume really is superior to others but some other factor is keeping you from netting that all-important interview.

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you hand in resumes wearing a hoodie. Have you changed this practice? Slacks. Collared shirt. Tie. Neat hair. Clean shoes. Consider them all mandatory each time you turn in an application.

And be sure you're handing your resume to a manager and not just the first person you see behind the counter.

Can I pm you? hmmm well I got a hair cut, new shoes, clean shaven but I don't wear t-shirts too cold. I had it to the first person I see usually sometimes a manager is there and I'll hand it in to them.

I honestly do not understand why you continue to make trades instead of throwing your books up on eBay and actually making sales. You really need to consider risk vs reward. What was there to gain by making that trade? I don't know the FMV on those books off the top of my head but let's assume you stood to gain $100 in value once the trade was complete...well you also had the risk of losing what sounds like around $700 worth of books.

I can't think of any situation in which the USPS would be on the hook to reimburse you for this, insurance or no.

Sigh.

First off, some of the conversation is steering towards the political (tsk) so let's check the theories of why people are on welfare at the door. As a proud social :o I had to bite my tongue so let's keep focussed on the task at hand. ;)

Gabe,

I do think you have ignored some good advice here and that you may be eroding some of the goodwill. Make no mistake, everyone wants you to be self sufficient but the whole "I'm still learning" will only get you so much of a pass and it is clear that this whole comic business is not working out well for you. For every step forward, it seems like there are 4 steps back.

My genuine, heartfelt advice is as follows:

1. FORGET trading. SELL OFF the books you don't care about or are not part of your personal collection and use those funds for clothing, job training or education purposes. Put this particular dream on hold.

2. If you have not done so already, definitely buy a nice pair of dress shoes, pants, shirt and tie. You don't have to spend a lot to look nice and second hand stores do have nice stuff if you look. Dress for the job you WANT. Definitely lose the hoodies and jeans.

3. Get a career counsellor and/or find employment resources in your area. There are resources within Ontario Government for helping young people find work. I assume if you are on assistance that they have directed you to some resources? If so, make use of them. I don't know your personal situation (nor do I need to) but maybe try starting here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-programs-people-under-30 or just call and let them direct you: 1-800-387-5514 .

Have you tried YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES (YES)? They seem like they might be another resource. Found here: http://www.yes.on.ca/

Get a strong resume together. Pound the pavement every day. There has to be SOMETHING or SOMEONE who can help. While I am not a qualified employment counsellor, if you want, I will look over your resume.

4. While searching/waiting for employment, VOLUNTEER somewhere. A hospital, a social service agency, local club or association, ANYWHERE that would give you skills and show that you are motivated to learn and something to beef up your resume. Besides, you never know what contacts you will make.

5. It is "ok" to put things on hold to take care of real world stuff and while I cannot speak personally to the impact of poverty, I had to make, albeit in comparison, minor sacrifices. While going to university, I completely gave up collecting, I simply could not afford the hobby. Once I got working and established, I got back into it. No reason why you couldn't do the same...Just maybe ease into it. ;)

6. For the record, just because you are on assistance, does not mean you can't have ANY fun. That would be a miserable existence. Just be responsible about it and choose wisely. (thumbs u

I have NO IDEA if you have done any of the above and/or if I came across as condescending, that was not my intent. I just think people would rather hear you have "moved on" (for now) from the comic business and taking a time out to better your employment chances for your own long term goals and wellness.

2c

Best of luck.

Sigh.

First off, some of the conversation is steering towards the political (tsk) so let's check the theories of why people are on welfare at the door. As a proud social :o I had to bite my tongue so let's keep focussed on the task at hand. ;)

Gabe,

I do think you have ignored some good advice here and that you may be eroding some of the goodwill. Make no mistake, everyone wants you to be self sufficient but the whole "I'm still learning" will only get you so much of a pass and it is clear that this whole comic business is not working out well for you. For every step forward, it seems like there are 4 steps back.

My genuine, heartfelt advice is as follows:

1. FORGET trading. SELL OFF the books you don't care about or are not part of your personal collection and use those funds for clothing, job training or education purposes. Put this particular dream on hold.

2. If you have not done so already, definitely buy a nice pair of dress shoes, pants, shirt and tie. You don't have to spend a lot to look nice and second hand stores do have nice stuff if you look. Dress for the job you WANT. Definitely lose the hoodies and jeans.

3. Get a career counsellor and/or find employment resources in your area. There are resources within Ontario Government for helping young people find work. I assume if you are on assistance that they have directed you to some resources? If so, make use of them. I don't know your personal situation (nor do I need to) but maybe try starting here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-programs-people-under-30 or just call and let them direct you: 1-800-387-5514 .

Have you tried YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES (YES)? They seem like they might be another resource. Found here: http://www.yes.on.ca/

Get a strong resume together. Pound the pavement every day. There has to be SOMETHING or SOMEONE who can help. While I am not a qualified employment counsellor, if you want, I will look over your resume.

4. While searching/waiting for employment, VOLUNTEER somewhere. A hospital, a social service agency, local club or association, ANYWHERE that would give you skills and show that you are motivated to learn and something to beef up your resume. Besides, you never know what contacts you will make.

5. It is "ok" to put things on hold to take care of real world stuff and while I cannot speak personally to the impact of poverty, I had to make, albeit in comparison, minor sacrifices. While going to university, I completely gave up collecting, I simply could not afford the hobby. Once I got working and established, I got back into it. No reason why you couldn't do the same...Just maybe ease into it. ;)

6. For the record, just because you are on assistance, does not mean you can't have ANY fun. That would be a miserable existence. Just be responsible about it and choose wisely. (thumbs u

I have NO IDEA if you have done any of the above and/or if I came across as condescending, that was not my intent. I just think people would rather hear you have "moved on" (for now) from the comic business and taking a time out to better your employment chances for your own long term goals and wellness.

2c

Best of luck.

Sound advice.

You have to start somewhere (not comics) and based on your previous history and propensity to dive in head first makes you an easy mark. Take sure but steady steps and work for a place that will open opportunities for you while providing steady income. In the States we have Goodwill, not sure if Canada has a similar organization of if Goodwill is even in Canada. That is the direction I would suggest to you.

Just because you're dropping off resumes doesn't mean they'll look at it. Have you ever thought that the places you're applying to only accepts online applications? When I was hiring I would always check to see who applied online. We stopped using paper application years ago and with the online apps, it screened out a lot of the unqualified candidates so it freed up my time to do other things. I never wasted my time with those who just dropped off resumes because if they weren't good enough to pass an online skills assessment then I'd be wasting my time with the interview.

If you're filling out online applications then maybe your application is getting rejected because of something on your assessment or restrictions. I've had so many applicants call to ask why they never got a call back and most of the time it's because their application was automatically rejected due to their work restrictions (wanting weekends and nights off, can only work on shifts that I don't have openings, or huge red flags such as having multiple jobs in a short period of time) or failing to pass a simple skills assessment.

Earnings update it's really just must #'s

Bought $9915.24

Sold $5802.96

Inventory $4565

BA12 Update

The case got cracked during shipping although I do have insurance.

Thoughts

This BA12 is a nightmare nothing seems to go right with it.

8 8