• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Some unsolicited advice:

Stop. Doing. Trades.

So many things can go wrong, and even if all goes smoothly, what are the chances of both parties getting a good deal?

THIS.

Mind you, I have done one trade on the boards and it all went very smoothly. Let me guess, was this a Facebook Group trade?

Do you know this person? Is this someone you trust?

Yeah he mentioned a couple people I've done deals with before so hopefully it doesn't go amiss.

Did you follow up on those mentions with those who were mentioned?

Some unsolicited advice:

Stop. Doing. Trades.

So many things can go wrong, and even if all goes smoothly, what are the chances of both parties getting a good deal?

The deal was something we both agreed upon I was satisfied and so was he.

Some unsolicited advice:

Stop. Doing. Trades.

THIS.

Mind you, I have done one trade on the boards and it all went very smoothly. Let me guess, was this a Facebook Group trade?

Sigh....yes this was a facebook trade and I've had three trades go well. I put insurance on this so I'll give them a call and see what's up.

Yeah he mentioned a couple people I've done deals with before so hopefully it doesn't go amiss.

No I didn't but I'll ask again.

Some unsolicited advice:

Stop. Doing. Trades.

if he's a scammer Im sure he offered you a deal that you'd be satisfied with, knowing that he'd be the one that ends up with books, and in the end, satisfied.

did you check his references? (as in check with the names he dropped and ask a) if they actually did transactions with him and b)how'd they go?

Some unsolicited advice:

Stop. Doing. Trades.

if he's a scammer Im sure he offered you a deal that you'd be satisfied with, knowing that he'd be the one that ends up with books, and in the end, satisfied.

did you check his references? (as in check with the names he dropped and ask a) if they actually did transactions with him and b)how'd they go?

That's a fair point and from what I remember doing is asking for his references and he showed me, I checked them up and was satisfied that's how the deal got started but since I'll ask again my memory isn't the best.

wait.

you did a trade, but didn't check the references?

Was this in a Facebook forum? were the references also on the facebook forum?

wait.

you did a trade, but didn't check the references?

Was this in a Facebook forum? were the references also on the facebook forum?

I was thinking something else but yes I did check the references or else I wouldn't have done the deal he also gave me two groups to check out and I'll be doing some checking on the internet.

From past experience, if the post office has a tracking number that shows "delivered", then your insurance claim for a lost package ends right there. In their eyes, they delivered it and that was their only job -- even if the guy claims he never got it, their system shows it as being delivered, so they aren't going to pay up.

As others have said, this is a big downside of trading, especially with someone who you didn't vet before doing the deal! Now he has all the comics in his hands, and you have zero recourse against him. If it had been an eBay sale, for example, then you'd likely be safe and the loss would be on him, since you sent the books and they were delivered -- but now you're at this guy's mercy and have to rely on him telling the truth. Hopefully it works out for you, but I'm not thinking this one ends well.

From past experience, if the post office has a tracking number that shows "delivered", then your insurance claim for a lost package ends right there. In their eyes, they delivered it and that was their only job -- even if the guy claims he never got it, their system shows it as being delivered, so they aren't going to pay up.

As others have said, this is a big downside of trading, especially with someone who you didn't vet before doing the deal! Now he has all the comics in his hands, and you have zero recourse against him. If it had been an eBay sale, for example, then you'd likely be safe and the loss would be on him, since you sent the books and they were delivered -- but now you're at this guy's mercy and have to rely on him telling the truth. Hopefully it works out for you, but I'm not thinking this one ends well.

Funny you mention that I had that happen once before with my wd127 cgc 9.8 it was shown as delivered and everything. So I called the person that was supposed to get it saying he didn't. I called the PO explaining my situation and told them if I didn't get it back I'm claiming insurance and within two days they found the comic and delivered it to the right person. Thanks he said if he doesn't get it he'll pay for it himself.

Welfare!???

I'm sure the people with normal jobs who are now paying your bills are equally happy to see you spending so much time online keeping a journal of trying to sell comic books instead of, oh I dunno, getting a real job.

Instead of celebrating the fact that you now got other people to pay your bills for you instead of you paying them yourself, you should put your hobby aside so that you can work on celebrating the fact (if and when it ever happens) that you got a stable job with a stable income and don't have to pass your bills onto people who work at real jobs all day and pay your bills while you "work" on finding a way to go to Comicon.

This trainwreck just keeps delivering.

And to those who say people on welfare are often there due to circumstances beyond their control - BS. And this thread is a perfect example of it. Almost everyone on welfare is there because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life.

Welfare!???

I'm sure the people with normal jobs who are now paying your bills are equally happy to see you spending so much time online keeping a journal of trying to sell comic books instead of, oh I dunno, getting a real job.

Instead of celebrating the fact that you now got other people to pay your bills for you instead of you paying them yourself, you should put your hobby aside so that you can work on celebrating the fact (if and when it ever happens) that you got a stable job with a stable income and don't have to pass your bills onto people who work at real jobs all day and pay your bills while you "work" on finding a way to go to Comicon.

And to those who say people on welfare are often there due to circumstances beyond their control - BS. And this thread is a perfect example of it. Almost everyone on welfare is there because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life.

I'll make this clear to you. I'm not celebrating the fact that I'm on welfare I'm happy to have gotten it as opposed to being on the streets. I do spend my time looking for jobs and when I finish what I'm doing I sell and look at comics in my free time. You make it sound like I'm trying to scam people my need for money while I look for a job is real. I disagree you can't control every decision in your life and if you can you must be god. I'm not saying you can't prepare for it but you can't prepare for everything and FYI the money that I use to go to comic con is my own not welfare's as what I sell I let them know so they take that away from me and what I get the next month. Oh and I'm selling comics to get ahead and pay rent because I hope that won't bother you. Also if you wanna get technical I paid more in taxes and I have gotten 1 month of welfare. I'm not doing this to be lazy I'm taking advantage of something that's being offered to me.

Gabriel has shared in the past that he is doing what he can to overcome multiple generations of poverty. There can be many reasons for that, I do not know Gabriel's particulars. I did not grow up with that issue, but I imagine it can be a very tough cycle to turn around. He is still young and has a lot to learn. It seems that several Boardies go out of their way to offer him advice and Gabe is typically willing to listen. He will make mistakes along the way, but haven't we all?

And as a final point, I agree that many people are on welfare "because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life." But Gabe is still very young and hasn't had the time or opportunities to be lumped into that group.

I appreciate your journal Gabe. It appears to be written with no agenda as it equally chronicles your successes and failures. Keep writing......

I live in Niagara Falls, and I'd be going as a attendee.

You know the best thing you can do now if you truly want to better yourself is apply for admission to Brock University and in the interim start looking for a job. If you're truly interested in selling, commission sales positions typically go begging. And you could still continue such a job part-time while attending university.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

Gabriel has shared in the past that he is doing what he can to overcome multiple generations of poverty. There can be many reasons for that, I do not know Gabriel's particulars. I did not grow up with that issue, but I imagine it can be a very tough cycle to turn around. He is still young and has a lot to learn. It seems that several Boardies go out of their way to offer him advice and Gabe is typically willing to listen. He will make mistakes along the way, but haven't we all?

And as a final point, I agree that many people are on welfare "because of choices, priorities and decisions they've made their whole life." But Gabe is still very young and hasn't had the time or opportunities to be lumped into that group.

I appreciate your journal Gabe. It appears to be written with no agenda as it equally chronicles your successes and failures. Keep writing......

I make lots of mistakes that's true but I'm willing to listen to advice not preconceptions of what you think I'm doing. I have a long way to go and I do enjoy writing in this journal when things come up.

I live in Niagara Falls, and I'd be going as a attendee.

You know the best thing you can do now if you truly want to better yourself is apply for admission to Brock University and in the interim start looking for a job. If you're truly interested in selling, commission sales positions typically go begging. And you could still continue such a job part-time while attending university.

:preach:

I know what I want but don't know what to do to get there although I think sales will be good for learning though I don't like "hard selling" as I wouldn't force someone to buy something that can't buy.

I understand your point of view and I respect it, but I disagree.

Yes, he's young and yes he has a lot to learn - but he has ignored a LOT of common sense advice from many folks here as he continues down a path that is driving him now onto welfare instead of making choices that would be FAR more likely to create a stable income and create self-sufficiency FIRST.

I haven't ready every single one of his posts here but, does he have a job? If not - then why in the world is he worried about finding a way to go to Comicon instead of getting a steady, stable job???

THEN he can pursue his dream of buying/selling comics to make a living.

I have NO issues with him wanting to make money or even make a living brokering and selling comic books - but that's a goal, not a beginning.

So yes - he HAS had a lot of time (as evidenced just by this journal) to make choices - and the choices HE'S made have placed him where he is today.

He MAY turn it all around, but presently he's becoming less self-sufficient by continuing on this current path he has CHOSEN to take and stay on.

If he were my son - my advice would be to put the hobby on hold until you can support yourself, THEN pursue the hobby, because for the past year or however long that's all this has been for him - it's a hobby, it has not been a means to make a living.

Get the stable income-producing job so you can at least be self-sufficient, then pursue the dream.

My opinion only.

Welfare!???

I'll make this clear to you. I'm not celebrating the fact that I'm on welfare I'm happy to have gotten it as opposed to being on the streets. I do spend my time looking for jobs and when I finish what I'm doing I sell and look at comics in my free time. You make it sound like I'm trying to scam people my need for money while I look for a job is real. I disagree you can't control every decision in your life and if you can you must be god. I'm not saying you can't prepare for it but you can't prepare for everything and FYI the money that I use to go to comic con is my own not welfare's as what I sell I let them know so they take that away from me and what I get the next month. Oh and I'm selling comics to get ahead and pay rent because I hope that won't bother you. Also if you wanna get technical I paid more in taxes and I have gotten 1 month of welfare. I'm not doing this to be lazy I'm taking advantage of something that's being offered to me.

I never called you lazy or trying to scam anyone.

Let me be blunt - you don't have free-time or spare-money. You're giving your bills to someone else while buying and selling funny books thinking that money will pay for Comicon - which is a path to continued poverty.

I'm not arguing with you or trying to belittle or insult you, I'm really not - I'm trying to give you advice that is far better than the advice you've taken which has resulted in you being where you are, unable to support yourself.

Doing this is what perpetuates the "cycle of poverty" - the misunderstanding and inability to manage money, how to balance priorities, how to delay gratification and how to put off one's "wants" until they've become self-sufficient. Even birds don't start laying eggs until they're done building their nest.

Where you are in life is mostly not because of what happens to you, it's mostly because of how you react to what happens to you and the cumulative effects of those choices. That's how lottery-winners end up dirt poor a year later. Poverty rarely has anything to do with money, it has to do with choices, habits, decisions and priorities.

I'm really not trying to bag on you, honestly, I'm just giving advice that I know (after 50+ years) is good advice. And this is coming from someone who was at one time so broke I was eating relish out of a jar for my meals.

Unless you're a child, as an adult it's your choices that have put you where you are, not anyone else's.

If you do happen to make a little money, you're foolishly spending that money on luxuries (Comicon is a luxury, not a business expense so don't fool yourself) that you should be SAVING so that you can fully support yourself and don't have to pass your bills onto other people.

I know you're gonna do what you want, and I wish you luck, because until you choose to get a stable job with a steady income, luck is really all you have.

8 8