• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

@CGC Mike

Well to say I’m disappointed is an understatement. This is long, but bear with me.

I had 4 books turned in to CGC on April 4th by @joeypostto be graded express. CM’s 22, 28, 51 (35c PV) and Monsters on the Prowl 9. They were all still CGC slabbed when I gave them to Joey last year.

Of the 4, the one I felt had the best shot was Captain Marvel 28. I had bought it as a slabbed 9.6 on eBay because I thought it would be a good CPR candidate after the seller was kind enough to send me close up pics. Even the normally tight lipped Joey thought it had an excellent shot at 9.8. 

The grades posted Wednesday. The CM 22 (previous CGC 9.6) and 51 PV (previous CGC 9.2) both got 9.8’s. The 28 stayed a 9.6, and the MOTP 9 hit 9.2

The Monsters on the Prowl, by the way, was the same book graded by CGC last fall as an 8.5. I posted my disappointment about that then, on the This Week Back From CGC thread….The graders notes didn’t match the book in the slab. As far as I know, Joey did a straight resub no work.
So the 8.5 to a 9.2 grade difference on the same book that wasn’t worked on in between the two trips to get graded is problematic in of itself, but THAT’s not the problem I’m about to describe.

Don’t worry, I’m getting there.

So upon looking at the grades and graders notes before the books had left CGC. When I checked the notes on the CM 28, it said small crease top left BC. I didn’t remember any crease on the BC, so I asked Joey about it, and he said it wasn’t there when the book was turned in. So I’m kind of ticked at this point, because I’m thinking it was damaged between the front desk and the grading area. 
At this point, Im thinking Im going to have to sub it AGAIN so Joey could fix the crease that mysteriously appeared.

That was still only an inconvenience in my mind.

So when the books arrived this morning, the first book I pulled was the CM 28 to look at the back cover. Thankfully the top left crease was minimal and could be repaired.

C8F421B4-6A04-4C75-A196-D380270B922E.thumb.jpeg.1d81c3c90436bbc4668b7c01a6dff4ff.jpeg

Then I noticed this…B56021FD-E73D-4B42-855E-8D677A3954BB.thumb.jpeg.e0a1eb9d55f3cac8064fea4e48e0444e.jpeg

Edited by djpinkpanther67
Clarity

On 4/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, joeypost said:

I just have one word to share here. 

Accountability. 

If a process or SOP was put in place where CGC could track who Che Jed it in, graded and encapsulated the book, they could determine where in the chain of custody the damage most likely happened. Once you witness someone get canned for damaging a book/books it emphasizes the need to be careful. Damaged to books won’t happen as often as it does. Heck, even dope dealers have someone who walks the processing floor to make sure no shenanigans are happening. 

In the case of Thomas’s copy of Captain Marvel 28 you are looking at a difference of $20,000.00 based on the last auction result. It’s no minor matter. 

I agree, if there is no accountability then it's basically a free for all mentality.  This is a top down problem because ultimately if the people in charge don't care and are apathetic then that set's the tone.  It's a case of bad management and it should be corrected, and actual quality control set in place.  Pathetic way to run a company in this day and age.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

@CGC Mike

Well to say I’m disappointed is an understatement. This is long, but bear with me.

I had 4 books turned in to CGC on April 4th by @joeypostto be graded express. CM’s 22, 28, 51 (35c PV) and Monsters on the Prowl 9. They were all still CGC slabbed when I gave them to Joey last year.

Of the 4, the one I felt had the best shot was Captain Marvel 28. I had bought it as a slabbed 9.6 on eBay because I thought it would be a good CPR candidate after the seller was kind enough to send me close up pics. Even the normally tight lipped Joey thought it had an excellent shot at 9.8. 

The grades posted Wednesday. The CM 22 (previous CGC 9.6) and 51 PV (previous CGC 9.2) both got 9.8’s. The 28 stayed a 9.6, and the MOTP 9 hit 9.2

The Monsters on the Prowl, by the way, was the same book graded by CGC last fall as an 8.5. I posted my disappointment about that then, on the This Week Back From CGC thread….The graders notes didn’t match the book in the slab. As far as I know, Joey did a straight resub no work.
So the 8.5 to a 9.2 grade difference on the same book that wasn’t worked on in between the two trips to get graded is problematic in of itself, but THAT’s not the problem I’m about to describe.

Don’t worry, I’m getting there.

So upon looking at the grades and graders notes before the books had left CGC. When I checked the notes on the CM 28, it said small crease top left BC. I didn’t remember any crease on the BC, so I asked Joey about it, and he said it wasn’t there when the book was turned in. So I’m kind of ticked at this point, because I’m thinking it was damaged between the front desk and the grading area. 
At this point, Im thinking Im going to have to sub it AGAIN so Joey could fix the crease that mysteriously appeared.

That was still only an inconvenience in my mind.

So when the books arrived this morning, the first book I pulled was the CM 28 to look at the back cover. Thankfully the top left crease was minimal and could be repaired.

C8F421B4-6A04-4C75-A196-D380270B922E.thumb.jpeg.1d81c3c90436bbc4668b7c01a6dff4ff.jpeg

Then I noticed this…B56021FD-E73D-4B42-855E-8D677A3954BB.thumb.jpeg.e0a1eb9d55f3cac8064fea4e48e0444e.jpeg

Has CGC been made aware of this yet?

Here's your assignment for the day...

Take a piece of paper and write this title at the top, USING CGC.

Now under the title you're going to make 2 columns, one next to the other. Name these columns PROs and CONs.

Now start writing down, in the appropriate column, the god and the bad associated with using CGC.

We all know which column should be longer, but will it?

On 4/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, joeypost said:

In the case of Thomas’s copy of Captain Marvel 28 you are looking at a difference of $20,000.00 based on the last auction result. It’s no minor matter. 

This is going to be totally off-topic and irrelevant to the serious topic at hand regarding damage that should not have happened.

But can someone explain to me why this book sells for so much (at least in high grade)?  I genuinely have no idea, and don't keep up with all the hip new hotness in the hobby. 

So....is it due to the first appearance of someone (Eon) that doesn't even seem to warrant a mention on the CGC label?  Is it something else?

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 4/17/2022 at 2:32 PM, Domo Arigato said:

But can someone explain to me why this book sells for so much (at least in high grade)?  I genuinely have no idea, and don't keep up with all the hip new hotness in the hobby. 

I would lean towards the fact that there are only 4 in 9.8 and that copies don’t come to market often.  So a bidding war ensues amongst collectors with deep pockets trying to obtain the high graded book for their collection.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:17 AM, joeypost said:

I just have one word to share here. 

Accountability. 

If a process or SOP was put in place where CGC could track who Che Jed it in, graded and encapsulated the book, they could determine where in the chain of custody the damage most likely happened. Once you witness someone get canned for damaging a book/books it emphasizes the need to be careful. Damaged to books won’t happen as often as it does. Heck, even dope dealers have someone who walks the processing floor to make sure no shenanigans are happening. 

@joeypostExcellent points.

I don’t want anyone to be fired over it. However, they should be better trained, and not scared, even encouraged to speak up if something like this happens.

I know CGC management may say it’s only speculation when I say that book should have been a 9.8. However, I’m not a NOOB whining about a clearly 9.4 book not getting a 9.8. I know what constitutes a 9.8 grade, and my submission track record supports that statement. The defect they stated on the grader’s notes, upon inspecting the book yesterday, looked like it was more likely than not caused by something brushing up against the edge of the book, maybe a thumb when removing the book from the bag? It was NCB and easily repairable. 

I know for a fact Joey pressed the book. I also know he would NOT have turned the book in with that defect. There’s just no way.

IMO they should have measures to fix things before they hit the grader’s table, if something like this happens that they caused. I mean, if someone knew they accidentally damaged it, they should have taken it to CCS and had a press done to repair the damage before they proceeded to grading. I understand accidents happen, but if there were measures in place to safeguard against something like this, the book would have received the 9.8 it should have (prior to the back being torn after grading). And I’m not complaining about a cheap book. As Joey said, in reality, it’s a $20k “oops” :facepalm:

I hope someday the Graders stop to use a bit of rationale, and think, “Hmmm…if the rest of the book is nice, and likely pressed, why is this NCB defect on the BC? It’s a good probability it wasn’t there when the book was turned in. Let me be proactive and talk to somebody about it, maybe fix the damage so it can get the grade it is supposed to get”

Apologies, just upset right now. This was an important book.

Edited by djpinkpanther67
Clarity

On 4/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, Catwomancomics said:

I would lean towards the fact that there are only 4 in 9.8 and that copies don’t come to market often.  So a bidding war ensues amongst collectors with deep pockets trying to obtain the high graded book for their collection.

Don’t know who it was, but there were at least two people crazier than me and my $15k max bid (with BP). I felt stupid for bidding that high, and thought it would EASILY win. 
Joey had my copy to sub last year long before the HA book appeared. 

At my work, we're encouraged to come forward and let our supervisor know when a mistake has been made. When accidental mistakes are swept under the rug, or a blind eye is turned, that mistake suddenly becomes much worse. Not to mention that the person who made the conscious decision to not bring it to someone's attention now loses all credibility.

Makes one wonder if the employees down there work in fear of losing their jobs.