• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, jcjames said:

I'd still like to know approximately how many books go through their grading per day or week. Gives some perspective to the volume vs defect ratio. 

I would still like a response if in fact every single book goes through quality control or just a sample. 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:13 AM, Beastfeast said:

Same.  If there's record submissions, makes total sense to have a proportionate amount of record defects.  But (correct me of I'm wrong) I think we're seeing new defects and QC issues.  

I'd also love to have this thread condensed into just posts with defects and not one defect and then 30 about that defect (I recognize the irony here :insane:).  Or people who have never and have no intention of submitting being like, "Yeah!  This is why I don't sumbit!"  My eyes can't roll any further back in my head when I see that.  

I sort of agree with the sentiment, but it's hard to get inside someone's head as to whether they really never intended to submit or who, like me, occasionally have submitted books in the past but have been holding back on submitting a bunch of books for a few years because I don't like the apparent atmosphere of current QC (not to mention the TATs). 

Edited by jcjames

On 4/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'm curious to hear more about why this position disgusts you--because I'm kind of one of those people (albeit perhaps without such exuberance).

I've never submitted before, because 1) I'm so new to this it's stupid, and 2) I always thought books were for reading--but after acquiring this really nice Vampirella collection, and seeing the prices being paid for slabbed Vampirellas these days, I'll admit I've been tempted.  I plan to keep my collection til death do us part, but I'm also interested in passing along something of value to my stepkids--and slabbing seems to be an instant way of increasing value in these high-grade books.

But as tempting as that is, when I read all the negative experiences here (although I know squeaky wheels are the ones that get noticed), it seems to be kind of a roulette wheel as to 1) whether you get the grades you're expecting, and 2) whether your books will come back to you with new pre-grade or post-grade damage, and 3) whether your books will come back in your lifetime.

You don't think a constant stream of those kinds of negative experiences shouldn't reasonably give one pause when considering whether or not to avail oneself of a service?  It's made me feel comfortable in keeping my mags raw, for now.

Sorry - Shouldn't have made that as sweeping as it sounds.  

There's a very vocal group of people that just dislike the concept of 3rd party grading and use every opportunity to confirm their bias.  That's the group I'm generalizing.  It's the people who want to be a part of the conversation but don't participate in the activity.  That doesn't make their opinions invalid because - like you - there are good faith people on the fence and threads like these make them apprehensive.  Personally, I think the TATs are WAY more of a deterrent than the possibility of a QC problem but that's another conversation. 

Completely agree with your last sentence that the appearance of negative experiences is enough to make people be wary.  Dig it.  In my thoroughly anecdotal opinion, those negative experiences are overblown.  Or at least until it happens to me and then I want blood (shrug)  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 4/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, Beastfeast said:

Or at least until it happens to me and then I want blood

lol  Yeah, nothing's ever a problem until it's YOUR problem...  heh

I'm not exactly opposed to the concept of third-party grading.  If done properly, it gives the industry a standard on which values can be based (although I'm not sure the standard is as reliable as it needs to be when the same books sent on different days get--sometimes vastly--different grades).  I am kind of dismayed at the prospect of rendering a book unreadable by encapsulation, but I can kind of understand it with the really high-end books that nobody was going to handle/read anyway--they just become commodities rather than books at that point.  As I said, I've even come to consider it for some of my better-looking Warrens--but with the daily torrent of problems with the process right now, I'm in "wait and see" mode.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, Beastfeast said:

There's a very vocal group of people that just dislike the concept of 3rd party grading and use every opportunity to confirm their bias. 

I must not be very observant, because I'm not aware of this group. Or maybe I have observed posts by that group of people and just forgot ... no, that does not mean I have Alzheimer's.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, Gaard said:

I must not be very observant, because I'm not aware of this group. Or maybe I have observed posts by that group of people and just forgot ... no, that does not mean I have Alzheimer's.

Mainly see it in Facebook groups and Reddit.  "It's destroying the hobby!" type of people.  There used to be a lot more around here but that was wayyy back.  

On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Beastfeast said:

There's a very vocal group of people that just dislike the concept of 3rd party grading and use every opportunity to confirm their bias.

You see it a lot on Reddit, and I'm with you, it's aggravating.  I understand that grading isn't for everyone and that's fine.  But this small subset of vocal collectors doesn't acknowledge the benefits of grading no matter how many times I point it out to them.  That's what upsets me the most, is the unwillingness to acknowledge "okay, I understand why some people might grade books and I'm okay with that."  Instead it's just a lot of negativity.

On the flipside, I see far too many collectors whose initial response is "go grade it" when not every book (in my opinion) should be graded.  Both sides of the argument are bothersome to varying degrees.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, Axe Elf said:

lol  Yeah, nothing's ever a problem until it's YOUR problem...  heh

I'm not exactly opposed to the concept of third-party grading.  If done properly, it gives the industry a standard on which values can be based (although I'm not sure the standard is as reliable as it needs to be when the same books sent on different days get--sometimes vastly--different grades).  I am kind of dismayed at the prospect of rendering a book unreadable by encapsulation, but I can kind of understand it with the really high-end books that nobody was going to handle/read anyway--they just become commodities rather than books at that point.  As I said, I've even come to consider it for some of my better-looking Warrens--but with the daily torrent of problems with the process right now, I'm in "wait and see" mode.

I like what Axe Elf posted above.  I've been collecting for decades, I've been on the boards since '18, I want to be a customer but due to all the issues CGC has and the fact they seem to be getting worse I just can't pull the trigger on sending in any of my books.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, The Lions Den said:

It used to be encapsulation, QC and shipping. And of course, once it's encapsulated no one can actually "touch it"...

Once the book is graded, who handles the raw book to put it in the inner well?

That stage seems to be the most condition sensitive....

On 4/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, The Lions Den said:
On 4/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Once the book is graded, who handles the raw book to put it in the inner well?

That stage seems to be the most condition sensitive....

That would be the encapsulation team...  

Would the whole team handle the book?hm

On 4/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, The Lions Den said:

Certain people were responsible for different functions. Usually there would've been at least three distinct steps in the process...

Last question :foryou:

Is this team made up of  “comic people” ?