• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

I don't know how to spell it out more plain...

There were marvel "must have reprints"

there were  other type $1, reprints...

Now there are "facsimile reprints" published that way that have the ads too I believe that is what makes them facsimile?

Screenshot_20220412-183450.png

On 4/12/2022 at 7:32 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, so I may be slow on the uptake here but to me "facsimile" means a copy.  So someone made a copy (on a color printer?) of a comic and sent it in for a grade and it was graded?  How does that work?

Marvel makes them

On 4/13/2022 at 2:55 AM, grendelbo said:

Not so much a quality control issue (or is it), but I really don't like the FF custom label. Ben isn't so ugly he needs to be covered up by the CGC hologram.

Screenshot_20220413-005349_eBay.thumb.jpg.2efe00a6ac65416c565d22e6d4ff9f88.jpg

That's not quality control, that famous Fantastic 3 label is a complete design failure.   They just don't care.   They sell you on a design then give you something different.  That ugly hologram sticker should go on back or better yet, be removed. 

Like the grade box isn't "price sticker" looking enough. 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:55 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

FB_IMG_1649894052656.thumb.jpg.e96f359ab801e8c9969525fd5b225b46.jpg

I guess they had the custom Perez labels to use despite the cancellation.

Just to clarify a bit more...  Most of the "facsimile" reprints are obviously not the original versions due to the paper quality and $3.99 price, so you're not going to mistake them for the originals.  The problem with the Ultimate Fallout #4 facsimile edition is that it is a fairly recent modern book, so it has the same (or very similar) paper quality and $3.99 price as the original.  At first glance, it really looks like the original, with only a different bar code and Marvel logo as the giveaways that it's not.

I was marveling at what some Vampi slabs were selling for on da'Bay, when I came across what may be the worst 9.8 I've ever seen.  Maybe some of you AV geeks can tell me if it's been photoshopped or something:

Hover for the closeups in the Original Listing.

They should put this one in the grading contest...

To me it looks like there's a 1/4" tear at the base of the spine, I can't tell if it's bending/warping or just soiling pretty much up the length of the front cover along the spine, damage from the top staple embossing the front cover, and what looks like a bend at the right of the front cover about waist-high on Vampi.

If that's a 9.8, I have a few Gem Mints to sell you...

EDIT to add that the CGC serial number checks out.  It was just graded recently (2/24/22).

EDIT again to add that no grader's notes are available.  Figgers...

EDIT because at least he has a return policy:  "I have a free return policy but returns are not meant for buyer's remorse of if you disagree with the Grade CGC assigned the book or you find out you already have a copy."

Edited by Axe Elf

On 4/13/2022 at 1:55 AM, grendelbo said:

Not so much a quality control issue (or is it), but I really don't like the FF custom label. Ben isn't so ugly he needs to be covered up by the CGC hologram.

Screenshot_20220413-005349_eBay.thumb.jpg.2efe00a6ac65416c565d22e6d4ff9f88.jpg

funny how that isn’t the member of the FF that is supposed to be invisible

by the way …..

Continued from above...

Same seller... sold 15 minutes apart on the same day...  another questionable 9.8 going for close to a grand.

#36 this time

At least the corners are square on this one, but it still seems like a lot of action along the spine and top staple to be a 9.8.  I mean my raw copy is literally just like this one--maybe it's a 9.6 if this is a 9.8--but how is this a 9.8?  And how did the seller get two of these questionable grades to sell for almost a grand each inside of 15 minutes?

Something fishy is going on here...

Again, the CGC number checks out and surprise surprise, they were both graded on the same day.

Same seller... at least this one kinda looks like a 9.6... but again, sold for an extravagant amount--at exactly the same minute as #37 above!

Vampirella #39

Also graded 2/24/22.

I guess that's all, but what just happened?

EDIT:  I've heard of the "Fast Track," but a couple of these must have been on the "Fast-and-Loose Track."

Edited by Axe Elf

On 4/15/2022 at 12:10 AM, Axe Elf said:

Same seller... at least this one kinda looks like a 9.6... but again, sold for an extravagant amount--at exactly the same minute as #37 above!

Vampirella #39

Also graded 2/24/22.

I guess that's all, but what just happened?

EDIT:  I've heard of the "Fast Track," but a couple of these must have been on the "Fast-and-Loose Track."

It makes you wonder if someone has an inside track to get these 9.8 grades that "normal" submitters can't seem to secure even with books that look flawless.  Crazy.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:15 AM, JJ-4 said:

It makes you wonder if someone has an inside track to get these 9.8 grades that "normal" submitters can't seem to secure even with books that look flawless.  Crazy.

I don't usually get too caught up in conspiracy theories, but from what I can see of those first two books, it sure looks like he had a friend on the inside.

But then where did he find someone (I assume it's a single buyer) willing to pay almost $1000 each for three issues?  Or do you think he was just selling to himself to try to manipulate the market somehow?  I guess it's a short leap from manipulating grades to manipulating values...