• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 6:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

Most high-end retail in states with a low min wage.  

I doubt most of them are truly "handling" the merchandise like a comic though. Not to mention clothes and handbags are a lot more robust.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Not a quality control issue, but an issue nonetheless.

Screenshot_20220415-213530.thumb.png.08444a9e9d02bf6bd6dd547d4ae9e640.png

To be fair, I often have trouble telling the difference between randomly spilled ink, and David Mack "art". 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 4/18/2022 at 4:11 AM, Tnexus said:
On 4/17/2022 at 9:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

Most high-end retail in states with a low min wage.  

I doubt most of them are truly "handling" the merchandise like a comic though. Not to mention clothes and handbags are a lot more robust.

I'm not sure what industries would even be comparable to comics where the mere act of getting a fingerprint on something could greatly impact its condition. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, wombat said:

I'm not sure what industries would even be comparable to comics where the mere act of getting a fingerprint on something could greatly impact its condition. 

Art Handling is the closest I can think of.  

Most institutions play $15-$25 (depending on location, some pay a lot less) and you're handling Rothko's.  When I first started, I was making $11.75/hr and was pulling multi-million dollar paintings, prints, assemblages...you name it.  Some of the most insanely fragile and heavy things I've ever seen being lugged around by functioning addicts with a pounding hangover.  I've never personally damaged a piece but I've seen some wild stuff with things that make comics seem like monopoly money.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 4/18/2022 at 10:36 AM, Beastfeast said:

Art Handling is the closest I can think of.  

Most institutions play $15-$25 (depending on location, some pay a lot less) and you're handling Rothko's.  When I first started, I was making $11.75/hr and was pulling multi-million dollar paintings, prints, assemblages...you name it.  Some of the most insanely fragile and heavy things I've ever seen being lugged around by functioning addicts with a pounding hangover.  I've never personally damaged a piece but I've seen some wild stuff with things that make comics seem like monopoly money.  

Were you or your coworkers afraid to tell your supervisor if ever something questionable happened?

On 4/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, Gaard said:

Were you or your coworkers afraid to tell your supervisor if ever something questionable happened?

With some bosses, yes.  There's a very real sense of, "We have zero time to finish this install and it has to be done by walk-through tomorrow.  I know you will all have to violate Best Practices to do that.  If you break something, you're fired.  If you don't finish in time, you're fired."  

If you're new to the job and need that money, that's a real conflict.  

On 4/18/2022 at 4:47 PM, wombat said:

Were they signed and not noted or not signed and got the wrong label?  Don't keep us in suspense. 

IKR?

A lot of these pics are like "What's wrong with this picture?" puzzles to me.  I don't know enough about what they are SUPPOSED to look like to know when they are grossly incorrect (let alone slightly incorrect).

Post with explanations for dummies, please?

On 4/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, Axe Elf said:

IKR?

A lot of these pics are like "What's wrong with this picture?" puzzles to me.  I don't know enough about what they are SUPPOSED to look like to know when they are grossly incorrect (let alone slightly incorrect).

Post with explanations for dummies, please?

To be honest I like to try and figure it out. But for this one they were hiding valuable information. :pullhair:

There is a IDGAF culture in the job market that is becoming very much more prevalent these days

All around, not just in the comic grading industry 

Not sure where or why the culture started, but I notice the newer the employee, the less care goes into a job well done 

On 4/18/2022 at 6:52 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

My mistake.  The books were signed, but the signatures were not noted on the label. 

Not to harp, the 1st echo or want to say daredevil comic didn't have the cert number pic to check the graders Notes.... Nor did it show that it "got 6.5" on the label in the pics.

That was troubling if true

On 4/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, The Meta said:

There is a IDGAF culture in the job market that is becoming very much more prevalent these days

All around, not just in the comic grading industry 

Not sure where or why the culture started, but I notice the newer the employee, the less care goes into a job well done 

I mean, why would anyone go above and beyond at a job that pays poorly and you don't have any stake in the companies success?  I think that's where you're seeing most of the IDGAF stuff.  I'm sure we've all had jobs that were not only soul sucking but also made demands that were not in line with the compensation.  

I'm good at my job and my clients know it.  But I have NO reservations about walking off a job in a second if I start sniffing out some malignant attitudes.  Hopefully people know their worth and value their time more than they value "pride" in work.  

On 4/18/2022 at 6:29 PM, Beastfeast said:

I mean, why would anyone go above and beyond at a job that pays poorly and you don't have any stake in the companies success?  I think that's where you're seeing most of the IDGAF stuff.  I'm sure we've all had jobs that were not only soul sucking but also made demands that were not in line with the compensation.  

I'm good at my job and my clients know it.  But I have NO reservations about walking off a job in a second if I start sniffing out some malignant attitudes.  Hopefully people know their worth and value their time more than they value "pride" in work.  

I totally agree with you, however, have you noticed the amount of entry level people thinking they deserve tenured positions?

Its a lot

Sometimes they get it

And its a terrible thing to witness