• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 8:32 PM, The Meta said:

I totally agree with you, however, have you noticed the amount of entry level people thinking they deserve tenured positions?

Its a lot

Sometimes they get it

And its a terrible thing to witness 

I haven't noticed that but my industry is niche.  I've seen young hot-shots come in and get humbled real fast, though.  

My wife's in finance and she's told me so many funny/horror stories about the new bullpen dudes who were crazy entitled and wouldn't last a month.  

On 4/12/2022 at 11:55 PM, grendelbo said:

Not so much a quality control issue (or is it), but I really don't like the FF custom label. Ben isn't so ugly he needs to be covered up by the CGC hologram.

Screenshot_20220413-005349_eBay.thumb.jpg.2efe00a6ac65416c565d22e6d4ff9f88.jpg

How does anyone design these things and not immediately go "Oh dang, let's not go with that placement!"

doh!

I really hope they can use their magic and fix it. From the looks of that dent, that's what they'll need to use. I've been following your quest on these gathering these Captain Marvel's, and this would be quite the setback.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, Gaard said:

I really hope they can use their magic and fix it. From the looks of that dent, that's what they'll need to use. I've been following your quest on these gathering these Captain Marvel's, and this would be quite the setback.

There’s no “fix” for this...

0D7C41D1-B938-4647-A8A4-D46E82FA53AA.jpeg.2699e304e4d7c9f5c0f826dce2c7239a.jpeg

On 4/18/2022 at 2:11 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

868283083_screwup2.thumb.jpg.39dbd7c96bcb44418897c5fef500e3aa.jpg1693587937_screwup.thumb.jpg.2abaedf10d26789fc2c008a261259471.jpg

took me a hot second to figure out what was wrong with these two books.  lol

On 4/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

My mistake.  The books were signed, but the signatures were not noted on the label. 

Question, does this somehow count as the chain of custody being broken?  Do they have verifiable proof that the books weren't previously signed and should warrant a green label?  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next chapter in the legacy of these books.  :makepoint:

On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have sent an e-mail to someone in management about this.  

Was your query to management about this one particular book or about the systemic issues that seem to be plaguing the entire process from data entry to quality control to shipping?  Because one mistake is (usually) forgivable.  (Perhaps not this $20k mistake, but like the upside down books).  But a consistent number of issues only serves to destroy faith in the brand.  If you spend time on Reddit, you'll see a few occasions of people mentioning how they no longer send books to CGC, or worst, are sending books to competitors.

• Administrator
On 4/19/2022 at 11:40 PM, ExNihilo said:

Was your query to management about this one particular book or about the systemic issues that seem to be plaguing the entire process from data entry to quality control to shipping?  Because one mistake is (usually) forgivable.  (Perhaps not this $20k mistake, but like the upside down books).  But a consistent number of issues only serves to destroy faith in the brand.  If you spend time on Reddit, you'll see a few occasions of people mentioning how they no longer send books to CGC, or worst, are sending books to competitors.

An announcement is in the works.  

Sadly, I think the barndoors are well and truly open already, Mike. I hope for your guys' sake a decent number of cows return. 

Is there a good way to get ahold of accounting? I placed on order on 7 Jan 2022 which was prior to the change in fees, but the package was not opened until 29 Jan which was after the increase. Honest mistake.

I have tried emailing, and I have called many times and just sat on hold until I timed out. I also left a message. Customer service is always helpful but in this case they just directed me to call accounting and expect to sit on hold and time out a lot due to how busy they are. 

I'm pretty chill about stuff like this and I know it will be fixed eventually. I just want to know if there is something that I am missing in terms of how to reach them. 

Sadly, the Boards could play a game of Mad Libs and probably guess 95% of the puffery that’s going to be in the coming “announcement”. 

I’ll start:

”committed to being the industry leader”

”unprecedented growth”

”carefully inspected by Quality Assurance”

Edited by Number 6

On 4/20/2022 at 9:21 AM, Number 6 said:

Sadly, the Boards could play a game of Mad Libs and probably guess 95% of the puffery that’s going to be in the coming “announcement”. 

I’ll start:

”unprecedented growth”

Unfortunately, the PR team at CGC has about the same track record as the QC department.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:21 AM, Number 6 said:

I’ll start:

”unprecedented growth”

You forgot the most important one. Increased fees. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, jcjames said:

I'd still like to know approximately how many books go through their grading per day or week. Gives some perspective to the volume vs defect ratio. 

Same.  If there's record submissions, makes total sense to have a proportionate amount of record defects.  But (correct me of I'm wrong) I think we're seeing new defects and QC issues.  

I'd also love to have this thread condensed into just posts with defects and not one defect and then 30 about that defect (I recognize the irony here :insane:).  Or people who have never and have no intention of submitting being like, "Yeah!  This is why I don't sumbit!"  My eyes can't roll any further back in my head when I see that.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 4/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, Tnexus said:

I'm curious how many other industries probably have people making $20 or less an hour routinely handling $100K worth of merchandise on a daily basis.

Shipping and logistics, easily.

The problem CGC is having isn't necessarily that they aren't paying their employees enough to care. The honest truth is that you can't pay people to care. The problem is that there is -- apparently -- no internal auditing system that identifies errors and damages and attributes them to the responsible parties. There is almost certainly no encouragement for proactive reporting of problems (because accidents and errors happen in 100% of systems that involve humans, and... well, 100% of ones that don't, too). And, critically, whatever they're doing for a QA process is laughable.