• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

Just now, wombat said:

I do not think it would be too harsh to immediately fire anyone who can't even figure out the wrong label is on the slab. They do not have the skillset to do the most basic function of their job. 

Isn't that the job of Quality Control? ^^

2 hours ago, wombat said:

Yes, I meant the QC person. 

A certain amount of QC failures are reasonable. The Daredevil 168 in a 158 label is an example of an error that would be surprisingly hard to catch. QA almost certainly looks at literally hundreds of books a day, 99% of which match the slab label correctly. That makes this sort of off-by-one labeling mistake tough to catch because the human brain has a tendency to "assume" things are correct. That's the science behind those "find the error in the sentence" where they leave out a word, but people often just read it like it was there.

On the other hand, the WCA/ASM swapped labels? That means QA wasn't really trying. And while I'd say that the corner damage and crunched books from slab mis-alignment might be hard to notice if you weren't specifically looking for them, it's a big enough problem -- with irreversible enough consequences -- that the QA staff should be trained explicitly to look for them. If that makes books take an extra day or two to clear QA before shipping, well, it's not like that's going to be a significant increase to the current TATs...

6 hours ago, Funnybooks said:
6 hours ago, wombat said:

I do not think it would be too harsh to immediately fire anyone who can't even figure out the wrong label is on the slab. They do not have the skillset to do the most basic function of their job. 

Isn't that the job of Quality Control? ^^

Isnt it both their jobs?  Two people have to screw up for a label swap to go thru.  And two people have to screw up for corner jam damage to go thru.

Edited by kav

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Isnt it both their jobs?  Two people have to screw up for a label swap to go thru.  And two people have to screw up for corner jam damage to go thru.

That's being generous.  I am sure more than two people would have had a chance to catch these issues. Seems not as many take pride in not only their work, but the company they represent.  

Even if the person in shipping noticed the issue it should have been brought up. Just my 2c

1 hour ago, kav said:

Both?

th?id=OIP.OYJVe1mTcXqyMcImjxqAZgHaEJ&pid=Api&P=0&w=284&h=160

or could the same person perform 2 different jobs? 

10 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Both?

th?id=OIP.OYJVe1mTcXqyMcImjxqAZgHaEJ&pid=Api&P=0&w=284&h=160

or could the same person perform 2 different jobs? 

If the encapsulation techs are also responsible for QA, that's a different kind of problem. Rule number... okay, it's not rule number one, but it's a rule. No one should ever do quality control on their own work product. Ever. In any industry.

2 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

If the encapsulation techs are also responsible for QA, that's a different kind of problem. Rule number... okay, it's not rule number one, but it's a rule. No one should ever do quality control on their own work product. Ever. In any industry.

multitasking?

Workout Wine GIF by Robert E Blackmon

36 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Yep like when jack kirby edited his own stuff.  WTH. 

Too many unanswered questions. 

Look at where the company is based.

Look at the minimum wage

Look at employee turn around 

All problems start at the top. 

What is the work culture like?

Overall, how are employees treated?

Finding good help is getting more and more difficult as people are either too choosy about where they work, what incentives they have or having to work 2 jobs to maintain a lifestyle. 

I haven't been employed with a company that prides itself on employee investment in at least 20 years

It all starts at the top

On 5/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, Timeless icons said:

Seller was completely honest about it and listed a back scan of the book when it was up for sale. I knew full well what I was getting and I was ok with that but how did they miss a 2 inch plastic sliver when casing this? I'm not going to bother submitting since it is hair thin and does not bother the book since its between holder and mylar. I'm not risking damage to the book for any reason If I don't have to. (Looks like a crack in the slab but it isn't. Slab is in perfect shape) Literally a sliver of plastic inside. 

Eternals 1 30 cent variant (this is the second copy I bought back cover shot).jpg

I managed to remove it today! Took a super tiny flat head screw driver for fixing sunglasses to open the bottom of the case just a tiny bit and it fell right out. :acclaim:

33 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I managed to remove it today! Took a super tiny flat head screw driver for fixing sunglasses to open the bottom of the case just a tiny bit and it fell right out. :acclaim:

Good job!  Ever thought about applying for a job at CGC encapsulation/QC?  Sounds like they could REALLY use you. 

This one is from a few years ago. Multiple issues with this submission. I submitted 5 copies of this book, but this was the only one calling out the wrong version… sort of. Three of the five were actually the "secret variant" that had a coded message inside the cover (but the other four were all labeled as the regular version). Since that code is only *inside* the book, I had to send all five back, so they could pop them open and determine which ones were the secret variant. And I noticed just now that all five were apparently signed by the co-founded of Microsoft, rather than the book's artist.

SW2_50.thumb.jpg.66fc121ca783a87870bba96a5a681acd.jpg

Here is another example of post grading damage. Got this delivered yesterday (I've never had a package delivered on a Sunday before, what's the world coming to)

Those scratches are on the book, it's a glossy foiled embossed cover. No way is that a 9.8 now

Edit : Unless I'm wrong and CGC allows some scratches 

Screenshot_20210531-091837_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-092006_eBay.jpg

20210530_171256.jpg

Edited by Dr. Dank
Added photos