• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,140 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Just because they got the issue number wrong, it's back up.

I was reacting to the condition of the 9.6...doh!

12 hours ago, DWL said:

For anyone interested in putting some context into the apparent increase in quality control issues, Valiantman just posted a thread about "math and the CGC census". 

I did a quick back of the envelope calculation and it appears, if the numbers are correct, CGC is currently slabbing approximately 3,400 slabs per day! :o Given that magnitude, it's no wonder quality control may be suffering. 

I remember Steve Borock back in the day, saying it takes 5 - 10 minutes to grade a book. Let's take the faster side of that for our estimates. @ 5 minutes per book a grader can do 12 books an hour. In an 8 hour day thats 96 books which we'll round up to 100. Which means they would need 34 graders all working at the same pace to achieve the 3400 slabs. Last time I saw their grader list there were nowhere near 34 graders. Also take into account each grader must also have a few others verify/agree with their grade which also slows the process down.  That's my math. Wondering how you came to 3400? :ohnoez:

6 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I remember Steve Borock back in the day, saying it takes 5 - 10 minutes to grade a book. Let's take the faster side of that for our estimates. @ 5 minutes per book a grader can do 12 books an hour. In an 8 hour day thats 96 books which we'll round up to 100. Which means they would need 34 graders all working at the same pace to achieve the 3400 slabs. Last time I saw their grader list there were nowhere near 34 graders. Also take into account each grader must also have a few others verify/agree with their grade which also slows the process down.  That's my math. Wondering how you came to 3400? :ohnoez:

I posted the numbers in the other thread "math and CGC census".  But basically, if you take a year to year perspective the data suggest the number of books on the census increased by 928,217 between 2019 and 2020 (5,799,679 - 4,871,462 = 928,217).  If you look at the period 2010 to 2011, the actual number of books on the census increased by 162,071 (1,701,423 - 1,539,352 = 162,071). 

To arrive at my estimate of 3,400 per day I factored in the number of days available to work.  At least in theory, the number of days each year does not change.  I guess people could work weekends but if we assume approximately 270 working days each year, that would suggest CGC slabbed approximately 600 books per day during the period 2010 to 2011 but slabbed 3,437 per day during 2019 - 2020!!

If the data is correct, perhaps this helps explains why there seems to be so many quality control issues highlighted lately.  Personally, my sense is that 3,400 books per day is a pace that does not seem realistic but I guess it might be possible.

I have a better question.

Anyone else see this on FB? 

Guy turned a purple into a blue by scratching off the color touch then replacing the staples.  If you want paper loss by scratching off the color touch then so be it.  However, replacing staples of any kind have always gotten a restored or conserved label from CGC.  This guy snuck it past them. 

Excelsior 21.png

Excelsior 3.png

Edited by Buzzetta

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Guy turned a purple into a blue by scratching off the color touch then replacing the staples.  If you want paper loss by scratching off the color touch then so be it.  However, replacing staples of any kind have always gotten a restored or conserved label from CGC.  This guy snuck it past them. 

Excelsior 21.png

Excelsior 3.png

I imagine comic mechanics are slipping a bunch of stuff by CGC right now.  Most just don’t post it to social media.

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I imagine comic mechanics are slipping a bunch of stuff by CGC right now.  Most just don’t post it to social media.

:facepalm:

I would say something to the Excelsior but it would only lead them to block me or at worst for me to be thrown out of the group.  I would prefer to sit back and see what else they post.  If they are that dumb to post that... who knows what entertainment shall follow?

Just now, Buzzetta said:

I would say something to the Excelsior but it would only lead them to block me or at worst for me to be thrown out of the group.  I would prefer to sit back and see what else they post.  If they are that dumb to post that... who knows what entertainment shall follow?

Maybe they got Dylans AF15's... :whistle:

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Keep us posted :foryou:

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Excelsior 21.png

Excelsior 3.png

I've always been told CGC will allow staple replacement in a blue label so long as they are vintage.  

26 minutes ago, buttock said:

I've always been told CGC will allow staple replacement in a blue label so long as they are vintage.  

I’ve heard opposite…

@The Lions Den can we get a ruling?

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I’ve heard opposite…

@The Lions Den can we get a ruling?

A good question.

Back in my day, issues concerning the staples would almost always get a green label. I do believe that staple replacement these days should get the Conserved label as long as the criteria is strictly adhered to. But getting a blue label for staple replacement isn't something I'm personally familiar with...

On 7/17/2021 at 7:04 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Your numbers are pretty accurate for the average vintage grader, but please bear in mind that modern graders can grade much faster due to reduced page counts and fewer flaws.  And they have beefed up the number of graders as well. So in my mind, 3400 is a pretty realistic number...  

On 7/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, DWL said:

If the data is correct, perhaps this helps explains why there seems to be so many quality control issues highlighted lately.  Personally, my sense is that 3,400 books per day is a pace that does not seem realistic but I guess it might be possible.

Yes, I think it is very possible...

19 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

A good question.

Back in my day, issues concerning the staples would almost always get a green label. I do believe that staple replacement these days should get the Conserved label as long as the criteria is strictly adhered to. But getting a blue label for staple replacement isn't something I'm personally familiar with...

Yes, I was under the impression replacing it with vintage or non vintage staples would get it a conserved label.  So basically Excelsior Pressing snuck one past the graders. 

Just got my sub back (subbed in April)

Was biting my nails, but overall, I'm happy with it. The only real issue I came across was that every single case had scuffing on the inner well. Not the mylar, but the case sides. Sometimes the back, sometimes the front. Many more backs than fronts, but every case has them.

One other issue is my Aliens Scottie Young variant might have some dust/debris inside the front, I have to see some other books to totally determine if that's what the art looks like or if indeed there is something in the mylar/inner well. The white cover makes it difficult because that could just be what's on the original scan. I'll take more detailed pics