• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The boards, facebook, instagram... 

Its shocking to me, coming in new to grading.

All my initial research 8-10 months ago was that CGC was the clear king and it wasn't even really close. This QC stuff I've been seeing since then has driven me hard to the other side. It doesn't take a whole lot to shift an industry and it appears that is happening to a significant chunk of the fb, ig and other online communities. 

I did a single and a 13 batch submission to cgc initially while building up and learning. The other guys are getting my first 50 book submission now and it would take a lot for me to switch back. Mistakes happen, but a lot of what I've been seeing goes outside the normal realm of mistakes and they are huge red flags to me. 

Let's take a trip down memory lane.  Just keys words:

• Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS)
  • Hair (AKA Pubes)
  • Puddling (yeah, right, nothing to see here)
  • Debris
  • Swapped labels
  • Universal custom labels on restored books

I know volume brings much of this to light but it almost looks like there's no improvement strategy.  It's "Excellence Through Defect" instead of defect prevention.  When there are systemic quality issues in real industries, there's a plan, a champion and clear execution (training, inspection, etc.)

On 5/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, Buzzetta said:

Here is a bigger thought... remember when we all scoffed at a certain someone's AF15's getting damaged?

Maybe we were wrong.  Because, the more I see the more I am open to the idea that while that individual was a little off, that he may not have been wrong. 

On 5/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not going down that rabbit hole today :insane:

On 5/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Buzzetta said:

I will hit you back up tomorrow. lol 

Sooo..... 

Seller was completely honest about it and listed a back scan of the book when it was up for sale. I knew full well what I was getting and I was ok with that but how did they miss a 2 inch plastic sliver when casing this? I'm not going to bother submitting since it is hair thin and does not bother the book since its between holder and mylar. I'm not risking damage to the book for any reason If I don't have to. (Looks like a crack in the slab but it isn't. Slab is in perfect shape) Literally a sliver of plastic inside. 

Eternals 1 30 cent variant (this is the second copy I bought back cover shot).jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

On 5/22/2021 at 1:09 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 5/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, Buzzetta said:

Here is a bigger thought... remember when we all scoffed at a certain someone's AF15's getting damaged?

Maybe we were wrong.  Because, the more I see the more I am open to the idea that while that individual was a little off, that he may not have been wrong. 

Wasn't he complaining about a few damaged books?

God, is it possible we owe him an apology?  lol

Even if he wasn't wrong, he was still a huge person_too_unaware_of_social_graces about it and about a lot of other stuff after that. 

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

Even if he wasn't wrong, he was still a huge person_too_unaware_of_social_graces about it and about a lot of other stuff after that. 

I said the same... 

I liken it to a drunk driver getting carjacked.  The drunk driver had no business driving but the carjacking was still a crime. 

39 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

Seller was completely honest about it and listed a back scan of the book when it was up for sale. I knew full well what I was getting and I was ok with that but how did they miss a 2 inch plastic sliver when casing this? I'm not going to bother submitting since it is hair thin and does not bother the book since its between holder and mylar. I'm not risking damage to the book for any reason If I don't have to. (Looks like a crack in the slab but it isn't. Slab is in perfect shape) Literally a sliver of plastic inside. 

Eternals 1 30 cent variant (this is the second copy I bought back cover shot).jpg

A couple of thoughts ...

1) I'm not familiar with the encapsulation process, but with all of these examples of foreign material getting in the slab, is there any possibility of something similar getting into the inner holder (that actually holds the comic)?

2) So, with all of these examples of 'bad' slabs getting thru, one could assume two things. First, QC techs at CGC are very cavalier about their job. Second, if said cavalierness is a fact, do the QC techs sometimes see this stuff and just shrug and let it go out.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I will say this. For a company that was founded, in part, on the pretext of making collectors more comfortable about purchasing accurately graded comics and comics screened for restoration, their sometimes hands off attitude on fixing problems of their own creation is troubling. Some of the QA issues we've seen are inexcusable and never should have been allowed to leave their hands. Mistakes happen, we all know that but when the mistake is yours, own up to it and make it right. Customer service 101

You’re inexcusable.

:sumo:

11 minutes ago, Park said:
1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I will say this. For a company that was founded, in part, on the pretext of making collectors more comfortable about purchasing accurately graded comics and comics screened for restoration, their sometimes hands off attitude on fixing problems of their own creation is troubling. Some of the QA issues we've seen are inexcusable and never should have been allowed to leave their hands. Mistakes happen, we all know that but when the mistake is yours, own up to it and make it right. Customer service 101

You’re inexcusable.

:sumo:

I love it when you talk dirty.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

A couple of thoughts ...

1) I'm not familiar with the encapsulation process, but with all of these examples of foreign material getting in the slab, is there any possibility of something similar getting into the inner holder (that actually holds the comic)?

2) So, with all of these examples of 'bad' slabs getting thru, one could assume two things. First, QC techs at CGC are very cavalier about their job. Second, if said cavalierness is a fact, do the QC techs sometimes see this stuff and just shrug and let it go out.

I've never seen anything trapped inside the inner holder but I'm pretty sure it is far less likely. Things happen, which is understandable as we all make mistakes but some of these books in this thread blow my mind. Missing labels? Books being placed backwards in their cases? How does that even happen? In response to #2, I'd likely attribute most issues to them being overloaded with work and I'm guessing the pace is so frantic that mistakes occur far more than they would normally but that's just a guess. 

I'm guessing what we're seeing in this thread is only a drop in the bucket of what's occurring.

Some Boardies have posted their books with QC issues.  I pulled a few images from a FB group that I am in.  Imagine all the QC problems that don't get posted to FB or that I miss because I don't read FB too often. 

18 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I've never seen anything trapped inside the inner holder but I'm pretty sure it is far less likely. Things happen, which is understandable as we all make mistakes but some of these books in this thread blow my mind. Missing labels? Books being placed backwards in their cases? How does that even happen? In response to #2, I'd likely attribute most issues to them being overloaded with work and I'm guessing the pace is so frantic that mistakes occur far more than they would normally but that's just a guess. 

For me the question is not so much "how does this happen", it's more how does it get to the customer that way. It's a complete failure of QA.

Again, this is NOT shaken comic syndrome.  This is someone in the encapsulation room not knowing what they are doing.  This is making the rounds on Facebook today. 

This is why I am not sending anything super valuable to CGC right now. 

(This is the thread I was looking for - yes I know I double posted it but why not twice)

@BlowUpTheMoon

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 1.36.05 PM.png