• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Although they have fallen out of favor in recent years, I still like looking at my large collection of Big Little Books.

That's my impression too, Bob. The most recent shows I've attended have had lots of Big Little Books at heavy discounts (even Harley was selling some, must have gotten them in a collection).

I don't have many, but the few dozen BLB's I have on display do fill a collecting niche for me (and you certainly have some interesting stuff, as always).

A few of my Mickey Mouse BLB's

blbmickey1_zpszakhyqrd.jpg

blbmickey2_zpsduvttxo3.jpg

I only have a handful but I recently picked up a nice copy of the Mickey and the 7 Ghosts you have. Darn things seems awfully fragile, though. That may be an important reason that they aren't widely collected in these condition conscious days.

When I bought these some years ago, I asked my Dad (born 1930) if he remembered Big Little Books. He replied sure, his favorite as a kid was Tiny Tim and the Mechanical Men, which he incredibly described in vivid detail.

He was amazed when I showed him that exact book, which just so happened to be in the small batch I had purchased. Hard to put a price on a memory like that:

36c3d729-8fc7-4153-abd3-03849bcd2b83_zpsnzomy9jl.jpg

I remember buying one of the G-Men big little books through the CBG in the late '70s for $15.00. Got it in the mail and it was beautiful. Great cover, killer pages and just a cool blb. About five years ago I bought a super nice big little book collection, maybe 90 different. It included a copy of that same G-Men in the same grade....and worth about the same price forty years later.

These are in better shape than the pictures suggest...... I've always been attracted to BLB's in sharp condition..... they're cool. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_1216.jpg

101_1218.jpg

101_1221.jpg

101_1224.jpg

Wow, what a collection! Give my complements to your friend. I love the way they are displayed. Lots of stuff I've never seen. Is he a board member? He might find my stuff interesting.

My friend is not a board member but when I saw his collection I immediately thought of you.

Yes, his displays are really well done.

When I stayed at his house I pulled out my computer and showed him your thread. He loved your "junk". Then a couple of days ago I emailed him and asked him to send me photos of his collection so I could post them on your thread.

If you've got some badges you want to get rid of..... he would probably buy most of what you have. He's obsessed with badges, especially unique ones.

He told me he likes collecting badges because they are very affordable. When I tell him what I spend on comics he just shakes his head. I think the most he has ever spent on a badge was about $100. Where as I have spent as much as $12,000 on a comic.

Rich is right, BLB prices have hardly changed over the years except for the truly pristine mint copies, and I have been amazed by the prices some of them have brought in the recent Hake auctions. 50 years ago, Collectors Bookstore had three mint sets of the Whitman books and couldn't sell them at any price. Finally a library bought one set and collectors bought the other two sets. This is also reflected in the dwindling membership of the Big Little Club, which gets smaller each year. This may ultimately be the future of comics--fewer and fewer collectors which would have to lead to decreasing prices.

These are in better shape than the pictures suggest...... I've always been attracted to BLB's in sharp condition..... they're cool. GOD BLESS...

101_1216.jpg

101_1218.jpg

101_1221.jpg

101_1224.jpg

Wow, that is Cool! I assume you bought it that way. Did you know that was in there when you bought it? I had a chance to buy a pulp with his signature once and foolishly passed.

When I bought these some years ago, I asked my Dad (born 1930) if he remembered Big Little Books. He replied sure, his favorite as a kid was Tiny Tim and the Mechanical Men, which he incredibly described in vivid detail.

He was amazed when I showed him that exact book, which just so happened to be in the small batch I had purchased. Hard to put a price on a memory like that:

That's a great story Steve. It must be great to have memories like that of your Dad. He was the right edge to buy comics from the beginning. My Dad was about 10 years older so by the time they came out he wasn't comic buying age.

Here's a funny related BLB story. A few years ago, I bought a small group of them out here at a show. When I got home I found the name "Jim Payette" inside one. I contacted Jim and sent him a picture. He was very surprised and recognized the hand writing. Aparently it had belonged to HIS Dad. He said the regretted selling his Dad's BLBs many years earlier. I sent it to him as a gift because it belonged back with his family.

That's a great story Steve. It must be great to have memories like that of your Dad. He was the right edge to buy comics from the beginning. My Dad was about 10 years older so by the time they came out he wasn't comic buying age.

Here's a funny related BLB story. A few years ago, I bought a small group of them out here at a show. When I got home I found the name "Jim Payette" inside one. I contacted Jim and sent him a picture. He was very surprised and recognized the hand writing. Aparently it had belonged to HIS Dad. He said the regretted selling his Dad's BLBs many years earlier. I sent it to him as a gift because it belonged back with his family.

Stories like these are part of what makes the Boards such a fun place to hang out.

Stories like these are part of what makes the Boards such a fun place to hang out.

Absolutely. Great story Mr. RobotMan. :applause:

101_1216.jpg

101_1218.jpg

101_1221.jpg

101_1224.jpg

Wow, that is Cool! I assume you bought it that way. Did you know that was in there when you bought it? I had a chance to buy a pulp with his signature once and foolishly passed.

... yes I knew..... it came from a fellow who originally won the autographed set of 3 in one of those Wooley (sp?) auctions from the 80's. GOD BLESS....

Rich is right, BLB prices have hardly changed over the years except for the truly pristine mint copies, and I have been amazed by the prices some of them have brought in the recent Hake auctions. 50 years ago, Collectors Bookstore had three mint sets of the Whitman books and couldn't sell them at any price. Finally a library bought one set and collectors bought the other two sets. This is also reflected in the dwindling membership of the Big Little Club, which gets smaller each year. This may ultimately be the future of comics--fewer and fewer collectors which would have to lead to decreasing prices.

I don't think comic book collecting will dwindle very soon. The golden age collectors are being replaced by silver age collectors and bronze age collectors. I think some equilibrium will occur which will establish similar prices for gold and silver. Gold coming down and silver going up should be the future. However, really rare books with fresh paper may still top the market.