• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Descender #1 Image Comics March 2015

470 posts in this topic

If you think there were too many covers of #1 (which I would have to disagree), wait until you see how many covers there will be to Archie #1, which is listed in the new Previews catalog for June shipping. Now THAT title has far too many #1 cover variants.

Anything over 2 is too many for me :)

However, what was the last count - 14? I think that should be too many for anyone, even with some of the covers being later printings.

If you think there were too many covers of #1 (which I would have to disagree), wait until you see how many covers there will be to Archie #1, which is listed in the new Previews catalog for June shipping. Now THAT title has far too many #1 cover variants.

However, what was the last count - 14? I think that should be too many for anyone, even with some of the covers being later printings.

do any of the 'later printings' actually denote on the comic that it's a later printing

I'm in for reading quality.

I havn't really enjoyed Lemire's work when its not him doing the art. I really like issue #1, I just don't want the story to go to mess :(

:thumbsup:

I really liked the first issue too, and I'm also one of those Lemire fans that really likes his art.

I think it is pretty clear from the first issue what the main arc of the story is going to be (unless they pull a Southern Bastards), the real question is what will Lemire sprinkle in between "everyone catch Tim". Going from the back matter's coverage of the different worlds, it seems likely it could be a one story arc to one planet sort of ride, and that could be really interesting from both a writing perspective and a visual perspective.

All of the variants for #1 were first printings, there is a second printing of #1 with the same cover as #1A but a slightly different color cover, but beyond that, there weren't a bunch of variants that were 2nd printings, they were all 1st printings. I don't mind all the variant covers, I simply choose to get what I want, for Star Wars #1 there were over 100 covers for the first issue which seemed rather excessive, but the die hard collectors out there will hunt them down, just like someone hunts down back issues to fill gaps in their runs of a comic series.

It is clearly a subjective question. I wonder if anyone has ever done a poll question around how many covers is too many covers hm

Depends what you want. If you want lots of cool art to choose from, then there's never too many. If you want a book you can flip, then Saga 1 is probably the best scenario - one regular and one super limited retailer/RRP type variant. If you're a completionist, then I guess it depends on your budget.

All good points.

Speaking for myself, there is also a certain element of distaste. If a book has a bunch of variant covers there is a tendency for me to feel a bit put off towards it. I'm not entirely sure why, it just seems excessive and unnecessary.

There are exceptions. Is it your 100th issue? Fine, do some variants, have a few of the artists who worked on the book in the past come back for a cover or three, have some currently hot artists do a cover swipe or two, knock yourself out.

Is it your books first issue? A book that, in all likelihood won't be around in three years time? I think those 20 covers may be a bit much.

Descender can have a free pass - one "looking the other way" coming up!

Issue #2 hits stores Wednesday, curious if it will be a hard one to get, a few stores I have talked to mentioned they didn't get their advance reorder for it, just their initial orders, which were placed before #1 came out so #2 could be difficult to find.

Issue 2 said it was #2 of 6 on the first page. I am hoping they mean 6 issues is the first arc....

well whatever...great book so far.

From an interview I read a bit ago:

At this point it’s plotted to be around twenty-four issues but I know from the past when I do ongoing things, once you have that skeleton to work from, it allows you to explore things a bit more as you go and take chances.

If anything, it will get a bit longer than that, but I definitely know the endpoint where everything is headed.

Picked up issue 2 today and for the first time ever I found a book im 100% sure is a 9.8. It's perfect. So I'm happy. Of course it's a book that isnt worth anything...

it's worth whatever you paid for it.....

Issue 2 said it was #2 of 6 on the first page. I am hoping they mean 6 issues is the first arc....

well whatever...great book so far.

It should only be for the first arc. I think that's how Sweet Tooth was too.