• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Descender #1 Image Comics March 2015

470 posts in this topic

Sounds like the print runs will be kept low until orders exceed those numbers. Sounds like print runs are typical minimums for each publisher. Sounds like more of the same. :facepalm:

Looks like FCG is now at least the SECOND "variant covers only" business model (the other being ComicXposure). Is it official yet...?

fonzie-famous-film-sharks__iphone_640.jpg

Descender #1

by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen

Image Comics

Around a dozen or so variants have popped up on this one. Optioned by Sony before release. Winner all around right!? Not for me. I’m extremely looking forward to this series yet am treading very lightly on this one. Print run will be rather large, a movie may never happen, and it may not be a good movie. I’m confident the series itself will be stellar yet that does not equal dollar signs on the standard copies. The variant that has yet to pop up yet is the stunning work of art by Ray Fawkes. That is my pick as the one to own. I may be wrong on that one but as they pop up it may grow legs over the next week or so. All the other variants are solid pick ups at cover as well.

http://comicsheatingup.net/2015/03/04/kellys-variant-report-for-3415/#more-6791

Descender #1

by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen

Image Comics

Around a dozen or so variants have popped up on this one. Optioned by Sony before release. Winner all around right!? Not for me. I’m extremely looking forward to this series yet am treading very lightly on this one. Print run will be rather large, a movie may never happen, and it may not be a good movie. I’m confident the series itself will be stellar yet that does not equal dollar signs on the standard copies. The variant that has yet to pop up yet is the stunning work of art by Ray Fawkes. That is my pick as the one to own. I may be wrong on that one but as they pop up it may grow legs over the next week or so. All the other variants are solid pick ups at cover as well.

http://comicsheatingup.net/2015/03/04/kellys-variant-report-for-3415/#more-6791

I agree with this. The Fawkes looks great ! There is another cover that may have a lower print run but it is a Black & White copy of a color copy and I think there is only 1 version of the Fawkes. If anyone is going to ECCC and would like to make a profit picking me 1 up, please send a PM.

Figured I'd toss this up on CAF since it's release day:

http://comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1207158

That is sweet ! :applause:

Don't you own the Trillium covers too ? They will look awesome together.

Thanks! I have Trillium #3 and the DPS from #1. I'm definitely planning to get them all framed similarly. I love Jeff's art - just need a killer Sweet Tooth cover now. Anyone selling? lol

This is a work in progress thnks Solar

I have 14 covers so far yes?

Descender #1A

Descender #1B (Lemire Variant)

Descender #1 Declan Shalvey, (Forbidden Planet/Jetpack B&W Variant)

(Robot arm reaching moon behind)

Descender #1 Declan Shalvey,(Forbidden Planet/Jetpack Variant)

(Robot arm reaching moon behind)

Descender #1 , Nate Powell, (beachball variant) limited to only 1,000

(Boy in lighted doorway)

Descender # 1 , Dustin Nguyen, @ comics Dungeon.com, limited to only 900

(Boy upside down, pink background)

Descender # 1 , Jeff Lemire ,@ booksamillion.com , limited to 4,000

(Boy with Rays out of arms)

Descender #1 , Dustin Nguyen, limited to only 1,500

(Close up with large moon behind)

Descender #1 , Dustin Nguyen, black and white ,limited to only 500

(close up with large moon behind)

Descender #1 Ray Fawkes, FourColorGrails.com.

Descender 1, Rafael Albuquerque, Painted Visions

Descender #1 ,Sean Murphey, Emerald City Comic Com

(Girl with planets behind her)

Descender #1 EH! variant limited to only 1,000

Descender #1 EH! Sketch variant limited to only 500

Yes indeed #1 was awesome. My shop way under ordered. Only ordered 15 and only one 9.8 candidate out of the lot. Pretty odd being a major shop and an Image #1. Anyone else's shops look to be a bit light on it?

Greetings all, new to this site, my apologies in advance for the long post. Personally I think the above posting pretty much will be the norm with regards to stores inventory of the first issue of Decender. I think this series could be a sleeper and would not be surprised if Diamond/Image announce the first print run sold by this time next week.

Anyone who reads the monthly Previews catalog knows that Image tends to start a bunch of new series quite regularly, some great, some not. I would not be surprised if retailers are a bit burned out (not just of Image) and only order a few of each series rather than purchasing a lot of one particular first issue. Taking a "wait and see" approach and if they sell out, they can re-order, while the issue is still in stock at the distributor level, but it's all a gamble, however some stores are just fine with ordering second printings, etc. I think the first issue of Descender will be one of those that slips through the cracks at first and then the demand will rise up. A lot of comics over the past few months were overshadowed by the whole Marvel Comics Star Wars #1 and it's endless amount of variants, the advance reviews from comic creators and the news of the movie rights being acquired by Sony came close to the cut-off date for retailers to get their orders in for the first issue of Descender as well so with that window of time being quite small, don't be surprised if a lot of retailers didn't increase their initial orders. Most comic stores here on the west coast are opening about now or soon, so the advance buzz and fans already having picked it up and posting online could help the first issue sell out quicker than most expected.

The news of a major motion picture studio optioning it for a film certainly is big news for an unreleased comic, the studio must see something in it for them to win out in the bidding war but as most will agree, this doesn't mean a movie will get made. Boom Studio's mini series "Talent" and Image Comics "Nonplayer" had major Hollywood studios buy up the rights but nothing ever came of it. Hollywood is running out of ideas, that has been quite clear for years with reboots of classics, they are turning to the comic industry for ideas more so now than ever before because for the most part comic book films do quite well.

For ECCC, as everyone knows there will be two variants offered for Descender #1. Image will have the Sean Murphy at their booth (print run isn't known but I will try and find out). The other variant is the Comics Dungeon version being sold at their booth, while it's stated there will be 900 available at the show, that doesn't mean the print run is 900. It just means 900 will be available during the con. I believe the print run is 1200 actually.

For those who can't make it to the ECCC, you can purchase the Comics Dungeon variant online from them but they are only offering 100 copies available via mail order for $10 price plus shipping (the same price as what they will charge at the convention). You can go to the link below to find more info on ordering it:

http://www.comicsdungeon.com/digital-comic-stores/retail-store/