• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Figure Cover Thread!

2,130 posts in this topic

wonder what logic goes into the shipping, those who ordered less than me and the day after have their copies....those who ordered more have their copies also.

3 must be a very unlucky number.

I only ordered 1 and I haven't received mine yet. I'm patient though. Plus I'll pick up more when the current infatuation passes.

in case you're waiting for them to collapse, you'll never see them less than $20, guaranteed....with shipping they're still above $60....since JTC set the price at C2E2 no one should be listing these for less than $60

I promise you, at some point, these will see less than $20. I've been collecting long enough to know this.

wonder what logic goes into the shipping, those who ordered less than me and the day after have their copies....those who ordered more have their copies also.

I only ordered 1 and I haven't received mine yet. I'm patient though. Plus I'll pick up more when the current infatuation passes.

in case you're waiting for them to collapse, you'll never see them less than $20, guaranteed....with shipping they're still above $60....since JTC set the price at C2E2 no one should be listing these for less than $60

I promise you, at some point, these will see less than $20. I've been collecting long enough to know this.

Why??

Not on the Fetts they won't. Even if you have the nervous sellers dumping in mass, they will get sucked up and bounce back strong even if they lower down.

Boba Fett has a massive following outside of comics and this cover will always have demand.

why would anyone in their right mind sell for less than $20...especially since around 1k were sold at $60....I guess if the Star Wars collectible market completely crashed and burned it's remotely possible but that will never happen.....ever.

Yeah, and nervous sellers (owners) always do crazy stuff but with something like this I'd be shocked by no rebound.

Edited by krighton

why would anyone in their right mind sell for less than $20...especially since around 1k were sold at $60....I guess if the Star Wars collectible market completely crashed and burned it's remotely possible but that will never happen.....ever.

Yeah, and nervous sellers (owners) always do crazy stuff but with something like this I'd be shocked by no rebound.

Even if we had a youmechoose moment and somebody listed 20 copies all at once in 9.8 it may cause a soften in the market, but Boba Fett has enough of a demand across many collectors it will endure.

You want one of my 9.8 raws? You aren't getting it for $70.00.

$69.99? lol

But seriously, it's hard to imagine these books selling below $20, especially considering the original price was just that. Regular moderns that are purchased for $4 that jump that high have the greater risk, but these were already selling for a higher price before hitting the secondary market. Add in the fact that the average person didn't know (or found out too late) about these the demand should last for a good while.

But then again, nothing is set in stone...

Not on the Fetts they won't. Even if you have the nervous sellers dumping in mass, they will get sucked up and bounce back strong even if they lower down.

Boba Fett has a massive following outside of comics and this cover will always have demand.

You are thinking short term, I am playing a long term game. I remember in 2013 when Dark Horse put out their B&W exclusives for Star Wars #1-6, the Brian Woods title. Limited 1 or 2 to a store (much more limited than these Boba Fetts.) These originally sold in the $125 - 150 range and stayed high for many months. Guess how much I picked up my last copies for? $15 each. Less than some people were selling the 1st print which had that one wild weekend where they rose to $25 or more and quickly dropped to $15 (and now can be found for cover or less.) How many people thought these retailer copies would ever sell for so little?

It doesn't take a panic selling or even a mass dump, neither of which will happen. These are variants and in most cases there will come a time when they are not the current hot book and they will sell accordingly. They may never sell for $20 or less across the board, but someone, someday will price them there.

The difference is you feel these will be "hot" forever. I'm of the opinion they won't be. These are not variants that will retain an indefinite hot demand; there are too many Boba Fett variants over the years as it is for this particular book (which only has Fett on the cover) to be the one that bucks the trend.

Edited by rjrjr

$69.99? lol

But seriously, it's hard to imagine these books selling below $20, especially considering the original price was just that. Regular moderns that are purchased for $4 that jump that high have the greater risk, but these were already selling for a higher price before hitting the secondary market. Add in the fact that the average person didn't know (or found out too late) about these the demand should last for a good while.

Many, many Dynamic Forces Star Wars variants sell for less than original price. There are some DF Star Wars books that original retailed for $75 or more (signed by Roy Thomas or David Prowse for example) that I have picked up for about $10 each.

One of the lowest printed Star Wars comics ever came out last year, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1 Wizard World Atlanta B&W exclusive. It features Darth Maul which is also a popular character and had a print run of only 500 copies. 1/10th of the print run of this Boba Fett variant. It also retailed for $20. Guess how much a copy sold for on February 8th on eBay? $10.50. And another copy sold with the color version on March 19th for $29.99. You couldn't touch these books for less than $80 last year.

But that isn't possible right? I mean after all, we are talking about Star Wars which has bazillions of fans and it will always be hot forever. Hate to disappoint the pumpers but while Star Wars comics have experienced a resurgence in demand, there have been many, many times in the past where the demand just wasn't there. Sure, demand might remain high for a few years, but it will wane as people move onto other properties and the current hot thing. Even when the demand is there (like this year) these Darth Maul comics have come down considerably. And they ARE considered part of the new canon; in fact, they are the first comics published that are part of the new canon. And isn't that one of the reasons pumpers say these new Marvel comics are different than the lower printed Dark Horse comics? "These are different, they are part of the canon!"

There are Boba Fett examples too. For example, the Wizard 1/2 gold. By all rights, one of the more in demand Dark Horse comics found. It features Boba Fett on the cover and actually has Boba Fett in the comic (unlike the action figure cover.) Definitely produced at a smaller ratio than the non-gold version. It can be found for $10 or less for the patient.

The problem these Boba Fett variants have is the print run. 5000 copies is a large print run these days for a variant. A 1/20 variant of a comic that sold 100,000 issues is 5000 copies. Very, very few comics sell 100,000 issues these days. How many 1/20 variants sell for $20 over the long run. Very, very few.

Edited by rjrjr

This isn't dark horse or dynamic forces or wizard world, it's Marvel....it's also a unique style of variant cover that is collected with similar styles (action figure). It's not just a Black Cat variant one off. And there's controversy with this cover since there are 2 different cover prices $20 & $60.....price may drop in several years but I doubt at that point i'll even care since my copies will be long gone.

Edited by krighton

hey, same here, I emailed him on Friday (again) no response....would love to know what system they're using for shipping the orders, some who ordered near the end of the sale have already received theirs. I was hoping to capitalize on the 'hotness' that's pretty much gone now though i'll still make some money on the few I ordered.

Approaching the 2 week mark after the 22nd ship start date. Would at least like a return email.

Edited by krighton

You are thinking short term, I am playing a long term game. I remember in 2013 when Dark Horse put out their B&W exclusives for Star Wars #1-6, the Brian Woods title. Limited 1 or 2 to a store (much more limited than these Boba Fetts.) These originally sold in the $125 - 150 range and stayed high for many months. Guess how much I picked up my last copies for? $15 each. Less than some people were selling the 1st print which had that one wild weekend where they rose to $25 or more and quickly dropped to $15 (and now can be found for cover or less.) How many people thought these retailer copies would ever sell for so little?

It doesn't take a panic selling or even a mass dump, neither of which will happen. These are variants and in most cases there will come a time when they are not the current hot book and they will sell accordingly. They may never sell for $20 or less across the board, but someone, someday will price them there.

The difference is you feel these will be "hot" forever. I'm of the opinion they won't be. These are not variants that will retain an indefinite hot demand; there are too many Boba Fett variants over the years as it is for this particular book (which only has Fett on the cover) to be the one that bucks the trend.

Sorry the bottom fell out of all Dark Horse issues once Marvel got the rights. I've watched it happen with your "RARE" Dark Horse Variants ect. ^This just proved the bottom fell out but it will not be the same with Disney/Marvel never letting go of the rights. Sorry Dark Horse, you had a nice run. Still cannot get rid of my Tales of the Jedi or my Dark Empire II because they are $1 fodder.

$69.99? lol

Many, many Dynamic Forces Star Wars variants sell for less than original price. There are some DF Star Wars books that original retailed for $75 or more (signed by Roy Thomas or David Prowse for example) that I have picked up for about $10 each.

One of the lowest printed Star Wars comics ever came out last year, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1 Wizard World Atlanta B&W exclusive. It features Darth Maul which is also a popular character and had a print run of only 500 copies. 1/10th of the print run of this Boba Fett variant. It also retailed for $20. Guess how much a copy sold for on February 8th on eBay? $10.50. And another copy sold with the color version on March 19th for $29.99. You couldn't touch these books for less than $80 last year.

But that isn't possible right? I mean after all, we are talking about Star Wars which has bazillions of fans and it will always be hot forever. Hate to disappoint the pumpers but while Star Wars comics have experienced a resurgence in demand, there have been many, many times in the past where the demand just wasn't there. Sure, demand might remain high for a few years, but it will wane as people move onto other properties and the current hot thing. Even when the demand is there (like this year) these Darth Maul comics have come down considerably. And they ARE considered part of the new canon; in fact, they are the first comics published that are part of the new canon. And isn't that one of the reasons pumpers say these new Marvel comics are different than the lower printed Dark Horse comics? "These are different, they are part of the canon!"

There are Boba Fett examples too. For example, the Wizard 1/2 gold. By all rights, one of the more in demand Dark Horse comics found. It features Boba Fett on the cover and actually has Boba Fett in the comic (unlike the action figure cover.) Definitely produced at a smaller ratio than the non-gold version. It can be found for $10 or less for the patient.

The problem these Boba Fett variants have is the print run. 5000 copies is a large print run these days for a variant. A 1/20 variant of a comic that sold 100,000 issues is 5000 copies. Very, very few comics sell 100,000 issues these days. How many 1/20 variants sell for $20 over the long run. Very, very few.

Your Boba Fett examples are not anywhere near the Action Figure Variant as far as popularity.

lol at more in demand Dark Horse. Maybe you collectors who were chasing these books, but I assure you there is now a bigger demand for Marvel books, and your Dark Horse have started to tank in value because of it.

Dynamic Forces sketch covers, exclusive signed copies, ect ect are never going to command popularity. My LCS gets these almost every order (weather it be star wars or not) and these books will sit like they do at my local store until a sale comes about and that 1 hard core fan buys all the stuff that has been marked down because it sat.

Action Figure Variants have been a fresh injection into an old "Variant" market. You cannot compare a failed run (Becasue it lost rights, not as a failure story wise) at Dark Horse to a current and popular run that will hav a new Star Wars movie released this year.