• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

The tec 31 .5 is over $19k!
that's just crazy

this

Any guesses at the final hammer price now that it is at 19k? I thought this use to be a 17 to 20k per point book. What happened? (shrug)

Is it possible that it's turning into a hulk 181 situation where the price ends up relatively the same across a wide range of low grade issues?

that's just crazy

this

Any guesses at the final hammer price now that it is at 19k? I thought this use to be a 17 to 20k per point book. What happened? (shrug)

Is it possible that it's turning into a hulk 181 situation where the price ends up relatively the same across a wide range of low grade issues?

Do you mean hulk 1 or 181?

that's just crazy

this

0.5's always sell higher on a "per point" basis as the most accessible blue label book for many buyers. In this case, it's also buoyed by the fact that a bc is included, so it's closer to a 1.0 than a 0.5.

As an example, last two sales on AF 15 0.5 are $4305 and $4605, while 3.0's average about $10k.

IMO, this is still a $16k pp book. We'll see how that bears out with the 4.5.

that's just crazy

this

Hulk 181. The price is pretty much the same for a 2.0 up to a 4.0 since the demand is so high for any copy in that range. Is it possible that something similar is happening with the Tec 31 where the demand is so high for a copy that the price of the .5 is jumping up to the same price for say a 2.0?

that's just crazy

this

Hulk 181. The price is pretty much the same for a 2.0 up to a 4.0 since the demand is so high for any copy in that range. Is it possible that something similar is happening with the Tec 31 where the demand is so high for a copy that the price of the .5 is jumping up to the same price for say a 2.0?

I think these are all valid assertions. I think you are definitely on to something. (thumbs u

I'm as surprised as anyone by Tec 31 rocketing to infinity and beyond, but I got to thinking, is this the greatest GA cover?

I'm voting "yes" (although I can probably be talked out of it! :D )

Here are my criteria:

1. Importance of the character counts (for instance, MF 54 is a great cover and one of my favorites, but Spectre isn't a front rank hero). A lot of terrific covers are ruled out by this criterion.

2. No excessive weight to a first issue or first appearance (so Action 1 doesn't win just for being Action 1).

Not that aren't a lot of great candidates, but I would put Tec 31 first and CA 1 second. Tec 31 is striking, brilliantly captures the essence of the character, and, of course, features a key GA hero.

Thoughts?

that's just crazy

this

0.5's always sell higher on a "per point" basis as the most accessible blue label book for many buyers. In this case, it's also buoyed by the fact that a bc is included, so it's closer to a 1.0 than a 0.5.

IMO, this is still a $16k pp book. We'll see how that bears out with the 4.5.

This line of logic is one of the more colorful aspects of the hobby. A potential buyer will often use this type of argument when wanting to buy a book, but a potential seller is likely never going to agree. In my experience, those who are willing to "overpay" for blue chip books like this are the ones who actually wind up owning books like this. And those that stand on these platforms continue to never own these books and more often give up over time as the pricing gets further and further away from their way of thinking. Or they realize that its only their unwillingness to "unstick" their way of thinking that is keeping them from acquiring a book like this and they decide to do whatever it takes.

Books like these often show up in spurts and if you don't take advantage and delude yourself into thinking that another opportunity will arise in the short term, you'll often find that when that next opportunity comes along, the pricing is much higher than before. And then you wind up posting in one of those threads where you tell a story about how you regret passing on something when you were offered it because now the price seems so much cheaper.

GA is not SA. My philosophy has always been to pay whatever it takes when an opportunity arises if the timing is right. I have never regretted any of those purchases.

I'm as surprised as anyone by Tec 31 rocketing to infinity and beyond, but I got to thinking, is this the greatest GA cover?

I'm voting "yes" (although I can probably be talked out of it! :D )

Here are my criteria:

1. Importance of the character counts (for instance, MF 54 is a great cover and one of my favorites, but Spectre isn't a front rank hero). A lot of terrific covers are ruled out by this criterion.

2. No excessive weight to a first issue or first appearance (so Action 1 doesn't win just for being Action 1).

Not that aren't a lot of great candidates, but I would put Tec 31 first and CA 1 second. Tec 31 is striking, brilliantly captures the essence of the character, and, of course, features a key GA hero.

Thoughts?

Great question! Obviously very very subjective. I've never viewed D31 as capturing the "essence of the character" (it would make a better Dracula or Frankenstein movie poster) and have always rather suspected that a LOT of its popularity amongst the current generation of big spending collectors relates to the nostalgia and influence of Batman 227.

For me, the more classic Batman cover which truly captures the essence of the character from his D38 through until the late 1960s (the era that made Batman a comic book icon) is Batman 1. A classic of composition, just Batman & Robin swinging over the rooftops of Gotham City.

I love Schomburg and think he had many better covers than CA 1 (which you seem to be giving excessive weight to because its a first issue), so much so in fact, that I find it hard to choose one as really standing head and shoulders above the others.

Hard to argue that Action 1 isn't the epitome of Superman covers, and Action 13 is iconic, but, for me, the cover that screams GOLDEN AGE superhero comic cover is Whiz 25. That cover says GA superhero in a way that few others do. The bright colors, the pose, the big deco style machinery that is so reminiscent of a Life cover by Margaret Bourke White. That's a GA superhero cover.

So in my top 5, Batman 1 and Whiz 25 would be at or near the top. Tough question, though and so subjective I may change my answer frequently.

I love Schomburg and think he had many better covers than CA 1 (which you seem to be giving excessive weight to because its a first issue), so much so in fact, that I find it hard to choose one as really standing head and shoulders above the others.

I was thinking the same thing. I've never been a huge fan of Cap #1 cover, but then you don't need to because that book has so much going for it.

I've always been a huge fan of Cap #3 as possibly being the best Cap cover from the title. I am biased because I tend to lean towards Schomburg, I lean towards yellow covers, I lean towards 'ladies in glass tubes' as well as green dresses but you can make quite the argument about Cap #3.

Disclosure, I do own one. :cool: