• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

^ Blocked already. Just show the damn thing. I don't get the hush.

If there is a lot of Vader in this, then I am really excited about it. As long as he isn't played by Christensen. The prequels are a huge disappointment.

How Much Darth Vader is There in Star Wars: Rogue One?

We asked director Gareth Edwards if it was difficult to figure out how much to use Darth Vader in the film.

“Sure. So hopefully, it was like… I got pulled into making the film through my love of the original films, but then what was a clear conversation that happened early on at Lucasfilm is that we’re doing new things here, this is not a karaoke number or just pure winks and fan service. That’s not going to make a good film. This has got to be characters that you care about and there’s an opportunity to create new people and events that pull you in, so hopefully the goal is that you come to the film for all the reasons that we love Star Wars and you get sucked in and start to care about the new people and when you’re in the midst of all that and that’s going on, familiar things start to pass you by, you start to remember ‘Oh yeah, oh yeah’ but the film should exist on it’s own terms.

If all these films are ever just ‘And here’s that character you love, Yay! Here’s that other character you love, Yay!’ all the time, that’s all they’re doing then they’re not really doing what George did – he tried to find stories that were about something, that were saying something, that you keep in your pocket forty years later, that stay in your head and are still affecting you.”

Thank you for at least attempting to share this. But the Mouse moves fast!

Not faster than me ! I downloaded it.

We asked director Gareth Edwards if it was difficult to figure out how much to use Darth Vader in the film.

“Sure. So hopefully, it was like… I got pulled into making the film through my love of the original films, but then what was a clear conversation that happened early on at Lucasfilm is that we’re doing new things here, this is not a karaoke number or just pure winks and fan service. That’s not going to make a good film. This has got to be characters that you care about and there’s an opportunity to create new people and events that pull you in, so hopefully the goal is that you come to the film for all the reasons that we love Star Wars and you get sucked in and start to care about the new people and when you’re in the midst of all that and that’s going on, familiar things start to pass you by, you start to remember ‘Oh yeah, oh yeah’ but the film should exist on it’s own terms.

If all these films are ever just ‘And here’s that character you love, Yay! Here’s that other character you love, Yay!’ all the time, that’s all they’re doing then they’re not really doing what George did – he tried to find stories that were about something, that were saying something, that you keep in your pocket forty years later, that stay in your head and are still affecting you.”

And this is why I feel this will be a better movie than Episode VII

And this is why I feel this will be a better movie than Episode VII

It sounds to me like someone listened to the negative responses to Episode VII and wanted to avoid them. If someone at Disney is listening, that is a good thing. Hopefully VIII will learn from that and move past the fan service.

I wasn't really wowed about this movie when it first was announced. I like Edwards' Godzilla a lot, but being a long time Star Wars fan, this was a story I already knew. That said, ever new thing I see on this movie makes me more and more excited. The behind-the-scenes sizzle reel got my blood pumping more than all of VII did. I'm genuinely looking forward to the film now, and after my disappointment with TFA, that's saying something.