• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

Wow! You guys were right, this auction looks amazing! On average I'd say 1 out of every 20 items is a HOLY mess! Item.

I imaging the auction order might be different than the current list, but I really like the alternating Art and books.

The order is definitely different. First day will be major Gold and Silver books, usually Gold first in Alphabetical Order, then Silver, then some key bronze/copper. The second day will be OA. The third day will be lower value books (usually 500-1000 books.

Bronty. I just love when OA is signed. Its a further reminder that at one time x years ago he sat there with his pencil and drew it. But I think your right. Noone is throwing an extra grand onto the bid just because its signed. I wouldn't say burning a hole per se but I'm not married, no kids etc lol so it's a lot easier to do this kind of buying now then when the GF gets the hooks into my wallet lol.

Stand outs for me are:

1)Daredevil comics #17 (i recently obtained a copy, but not this nice. If this was a Timely or DC could you imagine the premiums for a cover with such a disturbing image?)

2)V comics #! & #2 (you just don't see em')

3)Whiz Comics #5 (passed on numerous copies of this book in the past when it was 'cheap'. Liking the cover more and more now).

4)Top-Notch Comics #12 (stunner! also have one, but not as nice)

5)Speed Comics #28 (What a book!)

Honorary mention: Whiz #1 (and two others i may actually be able to win, so won't get into here :D )

your Taste in funny books = IMPECCABLE!! (thumbs u

Question. I have a few books I am on the fence about consigning to HA. Nothing major, 3-4 GA/SA keys in the 4/5 figure range. Do you guys think that given the sheer amount of awesome in this auction it is a) a good idea to consign now because all the big guys will be out, throwing around money and prices realized for my stuff may be higher then usual. b) being the big fish in a small pond is better than disappearing behind all the awesome that is this auction, and should wait to be more of a standout in another, later auction.

Definitely a.

It seems counterintuitive, because you'd think having your books stand out compared to the competition, and having more dollars available for your books, would be preferable.

But my personal experience is just the opposite, and great buzz for an auction, whether it's being generated by your books or by other books in the auction, trumps all other factors.

items and counting...my auction estimate is 7.7 million total

that's a high powered calculator you have there :)

It reads minds. And wallets.

My high powered calculator says that we will not see an average of $4400 per item.

And views, don't forget the views.

My high powered calculator says that we will not see an average of $4400 per item.

Was curious so looked up the last few. Looks like they float around $3k-3500 average.

That said, in fairness to Mitch, the Nov auction did top 7 million, and since this one feels a little stronger (and if they're not done adding items), it's not a terrible estimate.

edit to add -- you can also bet they're pushing to pass a billion in sales for 2015 (they came close last year), so it wouldn't be a surprise to see some slightly larger auctions.

hopefully they will continue to add items and if not it still is gonna top 7mil...

Your estimates might even be a bit conservative, Mitch. In theory, this quarterly event auction should be ideal for both buyers and sellers, but it's anybody's guess.

Why should late Spring (May/June) event auctions be more active than other seasonal event auctions? ... Fewer distractions!

The late Summer event auctions (Aug./ Sept.) follow copious expenditures on convention travel & accommodations (SDCC, Chicago Wizard, et al.), vacations, back to school, etc. Money spent elsewhere means less available cash for event auctions. Late Fall event auctions (Nov./Dec.) compete with holiday gift spending, ergo more conservative bidding. Late Winter event auctions (Feb./ Mar.) are positioned squarely in the middle of tax season, ...which is a toss-up... potential bidders motivated by the prospect of refunds or contemplation of tax debt.

Are these seasonal factors of any merit? Who knows!

Probably makes as much sense as contemplating the number of views, but it's fun to speculate. :insane:

Clearly the superman 12 cover is the highlight. But what is troubling me is the amount of RECREATION that has been added to the piece....why

I don't mind adding bristol board of matching kind to recreate the original size, nor a recreation of a logo..but the text recreation is questionable, but the creation of the circle (which intruded on the OA Area) is quite troubling.

I am gonna have lower my value estimate on this piece to under 100K, while if it was untouched it would be 250K...just an opinion