• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

I agree....this whiz 1 is absolutely restored and should be bid on as such/accordingly!

+1 hopefully those with enough cash and interest to buy such a book also have the capacity to bid sensibly. I assume they all would.

Because it is in a blue label, people will still pay blue/unrestored money for it even if it was previously restored.

I agree....this whiz 1 is absolutely restored and should be bid on as such/accordingly!

+1 hopefully those with enough cash and interest to buy such a book also have the capacity to bid sensibly. I assume they all would.

Because it is in a blue label, people will still pay blue/unrestored money for it even if it was previously restored.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist folks only bid the pitance restored value :sumo:

GAtor was being sarcastic.

Personally, I would bid on this book like it was blue label 3.0 because that's what it is. If it was Slight or Moderate 6.0 (or whatever it was before) I'd still value it the same way...because it's the same book regardless of the state it sits in.

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

Implicit in the term "colour touch" is that there was in fact some intent to cover a defect- as opposed to someone just dropping a marker on the cover. Same with "glue on the spine". Someone was obviously trying to reattach the cover at some point. Okay so now someone removes "some" but not all of these restorative substances. The book should still be labeled as "restored" because "some" of that material is still there.

-J.

Now you're being a lawyer.

They will label it a color touch even if someone drops a pen on the book. Just ask GAtor. :cry:

You can disagree all you want but if you understand their standards (which CGC doesn't give out but can be understood over time) then CGC is fairly clear on the subject. It isn't a higgeldy piggeldy guess.

GAtor was being sarcastic.

Personally, I would bid on this book like it was blue label 3.0 because that's what it is. If it was Slight or Moderate 6.0 (or whatever it was before) I'd still value it the same way...because it's the same book regardless of the state it sits in.

Ahk the sarcasm went straight over my head.

Does the rest of the market value de-restored books the same way?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist folks only bid the pitance restored value :sumo:

Gator, given this is a "hot" book, what would be you estimate in the value difference between Restored and Unrestored in terms of $ price wise. The book does have a great eye appeal for a 3.0. and maybe the minor resto was factored in on the low grade.

Gator, given this is a "hot" book, what would be you estimate in the value difference between Restored and Unrestored in terms of $ price wise. The book does have a great eye appeal for a 3.0. and maybe the minor resto was factored in on the low grade.

I estimate the value to be my winning bid lol

all kidding aside, I have found it prudent not to publicly comment on books I may or may not (cough cough) be interested in :foryou:

So ... if you activate "Bid protection" and you enter the live bidding with the top bid, you can't lose the lot, right? Or am I misunderstanding how that feature works? hm

You're misunderstanding how the feature works. Bid protection goes up to 3 bids over your max (depending on what you select). If we enter live bidding with you at the top, and then I bid once, you'll auto bid over me... HOWEVER I can then bid on top of that and then you're done, assuming you did one, if you did three if there are three live bids, your bid protect is done at 4. Of course you can always bid live too.

You're misunderstanding how the feature works. Bid protection goes one bid over your max. If we enter live bidding with you at the top, and then I bid once, you'll auto bid over me... HOWEVER I can then bid on top of that and then you're done. Of course you can always bid live too.

Ok, so you are you saying it's a one-time thing?

My bid entering live bidding: $X

In live bidding, you bid: $X + increment

HA auto bids for me: $X + increment + increment

Someone bids again, but I'm done because my "bid protection" doesn't kick in again.

Useful info. I don't think I've ever activated it because I'm typically watching the live bidding for books I'm interested in.

I'm high bidder on the Mile High Action Comics 63. $38 bucks :banana:

That book is insanely gorgeous. I just don't know if I'm willing to sell the books that I'd have to sell to afford it. hm

If I remember correctly that book had two very long horizontal printer's creases right through the image of Superman and the Zero which I don't really see on this scan anymore.

Pressed out, or Color-washed out?

I never pressed this book (or any Mile High I owned). The printer's creases are still there.

It's good anti-snipe protection really and works more for the old sunday auctions. Not so much now that everything is live bidding. Like you said, you're generally watching the books in live bidding anyway. So I will use an example. The Whiz #2. Let's say I throw in a $50,000 max bid with 3x bid protection. Now lets say the book closes at $35,000 as the max bid and I am the high bidder. What will happen is when we go live, G.A.tor will keep hitting the live bid button and the auctioneer will keep going back to the book (because each time "I" am bidding until we hit $50,000. If G.A.tor keeps bidding against me and we hit $50,000 my 3 bid protector is willing to try to go up to three bids higher, but that's it. Once the amount is 3 increments over $50,000 I'm done bidding and G.A.tor is the high bidder. Then he and I may fight it out over live bidding as well till we hit his or my credit limit lol at which point one of us bows out (definitely me lol) It's good Anti Snipe because lets say G.A.tor was only willing to go to 50,000 and it opens at my 50,000 maximum, he may say eh screw it whats one increment over and bid. If i didn't have bid protection, I'm out. But with bid protection I come right back over the top at which point he's scared off because he thinks someone wanted it more and has a much higher max bid. Thus he bows out.

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

Implicit in the term "colour touch" is that there was in fact some intent to cover a defect- as opposed to someone just dropping a marker on the cover. Same with "glue on the spine". Someone was obviously trying to reattach the cover at some point. Okay so now someone removes "some" but not all of these restorative substances. The book should still be labeled as "restored" because "some" of that material is still there.

-J.

Now you're being a lawyer.

They will label it a color touch even if someone drops a pen on the book. Just ask GAtor. :cry:

You can disagree all you want but if you understand their standards (which CGC doesn't give out but can be understood over time) then CGC is fairly clear on the subject. It isn't a higgeldy piggeldy guess.

In general principle I am not disagreeing with you. Although I do still know that CGC will not automatically call any random pen or marker mark "colour touch". It is their judgement call, if they believe there is intent to hide or mitigate a defect they will call it "colour touch" as opposed to "pen mark on cover" or some such.

Again, with this book, we know there is/was intent to cover and "fix" defects with the restorative materials that are "still" present on the book. The book hasn't been "downgraded" because of its restoration, best I can tell the restoration on the book has been essentially "forgiven" and given a blue label 3.0 in spite of it. I don't know what the "apparent grade" of the book was before, I'm sure that it was higher in a purple label, and only dropped to a 3.0 because of (some) CT removal damaging the book and (some) glue scraping causing spine splitting again, etc. That's why it's a 3.0 now. But it should still be in a purple holder IMO because enough (and more than one kind, even) of restorative substances are still present on the book.

-J.

It's good anti-snipe protection really and works more for the old sunday auctions. Not so much now that everything is live bidding. Like you said, you're generally watching the books in live bidding anyway. So I will use an example. The Whiz #2. Let's say I throw in a $50,000 max bid with 3x bid protection. Now lets say the book closes at $35,000 as the max bid and I am the high bidder. What will happen is when we go live, G.A.tor will keep hitting the live bid button and the auctioneer will keep going back to the book (because each time "I" am bidding until we hit $50,000. If G.A.tor keeps bidding against me and we hit $50,000 my 3 bid protector is willing to try to go up to three bids higher, but that's it. Once the amount is 3 increments over $50,000 I'm done bidding and G.A.tor is the high bidder. Then he and I may fight it out over live bidding as well till we hit his or my credit limit lol at which point one of us bows out (definitely me lol) It's good Anti Snipe because lets say G.A.tor was only willing to go to 50,000 and it opens at my 50,000 maximum, he may say eh screw it whats one increment over and bid. If i didn't have bid protection, I'm out. But with bid protection I come right back over the top at which point he's scared off because he thinks someone wanted it more and has a much higher max bid. Thus he bows out.
I might bow out at 30 to you :foryou:

Another good point. I see now that you can set bid protection at one to three increments.