• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

Implicit in the term "colour touch" is that there was in fact some intent to cover a defect- as opposed to someone just dropping a marker on the cover. Same with "glue on the spine". Someone was obviously trying to reattach the cover at some point. Okay so now someone removes "some" but not all of these restorative substances. The book should still be labeled as "restored" because "some" of that material is still there.

-J.

Now you're being a lawyer.

They will label it a color touch even if someone drops a pen on the book. Just ask GAtor. :cry:

You can disagree all you want but if you understand their standards (which CGC doesn't give out but can be understood over time) then CGC is fairly clear on the subject. It isn't a higgeldy piggeldy guess.

In general principle I am not disagreeing with you. Although I do still know that CGC will not automatically call any random pen or marker mark "colour touch". It is their judgement call, if they believe there is intent to hide or mitigate a defect they will call it "colour touch" as opposed to "pen mark on cover" or some such.

Again, with this book, we know there is/was intent to cover and "fix" defects with the restorative materials that are "still" present on the book. The book hasn't been "downgraded" because of its restoration, best I can tell the restoration on the book has been essentially "forgiven" and given a blue label 3.0 in spite of it. I don't know what the "apparent grade" of the book was before, I'm sure that it was higher in a purple label, and only dropped to a 3.0 because of (some) CT removal damaging the book and (some) glue scraping causing spine splitting again, etc. That's why it's a 3.0 now. But it should still be in a purple holder IMO because enough (and more than one kind, even) of restorative substances are still present on the book.

-J.

This is a good example that illustrates an attitude toward the purple label. Words like "intent" and "forgiven" reveal the emotional core behind it. Certification, ideally, removes the emotional response of intangibles like "intent" and "forgiveness" and "desecration."

With the Batman v Superman movie coming I see a very strong upside for those titles.

Mitch, shake your Magic 8 Ball and take another look.

But I'm sure DC auction books will do well in spite of concerns about the film. (thumbs u

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

Implicit in the term "colour touch" is that there was in fact some intent to cover a defect- as opposed to someone just dropping a marker on the cover. Same with "glue on the spine". Someone was obviously trying to reattach the cover at some point. Okay so now someone removes "some" but not all of these restorative substances. The book should still be labeled as "restored" because "some" of that material is still there.

-J.

Now you're being a lawyer.

They will label it a color touch even if someone drops a pen on the book. Just ask GAtor. :cry:

You can disagree all you want but if you understand their standards (which CGC doesn't give out but can be understood over time) then CGC is fairly clear on the subject. It isn't a higgeldy piggeldy guess.

In general principle I am not disagreeing with you. Although I do still know that CGC will not automatically call any random pen or marker mark "colour touch". It is their judgement call, if they believe there is intent to hide or mitigate a defect they will call it "colour touch" as opposed to "pen mark on cover" or some such.

Again, with this book, we know there is/was intent to cover and "fix" defects with the restorative materials that are "still" present on the book. The book hasn't been "downgraded" because of its restoration, best I can tell the restoration on the book has been essentially "forgiven" and given a blue label 3.0 in spite of it. I don't know what the "apparent grade" of the book was before, I'm sure that it was higher in a purple label, and only dropped to a 3.0 because of (some) CT removal damaging the book and (some) glue scraping causing spine splitting again, etc. That's why it's a 3.0 now. But it should still be in a purple holder IMO because enough (and more than one kind, even) of restorative substances are still present on the book.

-J.

This is a good example that illustrates an attitude toward the purple label. Words like "intent" and "forgiven" reveal the emotional core behind it. Certification, ideally, removes the emotional response of intangibles like "intent" and "forgiveness" and "desecration."

Agreed.

And there is no discussion with emotion.

I'm glad I kept my Batman #55. The 8.5 is currently at 5K with 3 weeks to go.
Jeff, I am kicking myself for not having bought your Joker covers when you offered them on the CGC boards! EJR

With the Batman v Superman movie coming I see a very strong upside for those titles.

The movie didn't do much for the v for vendetta title. :baiting:

I give the movie a A-. a really great fiick...but it ended there...no potential for V#2...not like the JLA...you know warner bros has a lot riding on this film as it is gonna lunch muti other films..and I like the trailer so far...the director...well the directors cut of watchman was better than the orig...but 300 was great.

Jeff, I am kicking myself for not having bought your Joker covers when you offered them on the CGC boards! EJR

IIRC.....Jeff's 55 has exceptional QP for a book that's notorious for being a bit off. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

IIRC.....Jeff's 55 has exceptional QP for a book that's notorious for being a bit off. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks. I offered it here on the boards less than a year ago for $2500. I'm glad no one bought it! I think it's a lot nicer than the Heritage copy that's at 5K...

bat55.jpg

Has anyone else encountered problems lately with Heritage's shipping? I won a book in a recent Sunday auction. The slab was shipped (crammed) into a medium Priority Mail box. As you all know, that is a very tight squeeze lengthwise. The slab was wrapped in bubble wrap, but there was no padding at the ends (since the slab and the box are essentially the same length).

The box arrived in reasonably good shape with just the usually wear and tear. Certainly didn't look like the mail truck ran over it or anything. Predictably, the slab was cracked at the top, with both posts broken, and a large diagonal crack across the top. The case is open at the top and I could pull the inner well out easily. The comic appears unharmed.

This is the second slab I've received recently that was packed this way. Thankfully, the first arrived without damage. In the past, they always shipped slabs in the large box and raws in the medium.

I know some of you guys have HA hold your wins until you accumulate a pile and then have them shipped together. Do you think this would result in a bigger, sturdier box being used?

My shipping recently has been perfect on both ends.

I like following

Buster Brown sunday 1905 complete...very rare...very nice...low price

Magnus Robert Fighter page....impressive

Has anyone else encountered problems lately with Heritage's shipping? I won a book in a recent Sunday auction. The slab was shipped (crammed) into a medium Priority Mail box. As you all know, that is a very tight squeeze lengthwise. The slab was wrapped in bubble wrap, but there was no padding at the ends (since the slab and the box are essentially the same length).

The box arrived in reasonably good shape with just the usually wear and tear. Certainly didn't look like the mail truck ran over it or anything. Predictably, the slab was cracked at the top, with both posts broken, and a large diagonal crack across the top. The case is open at the top and I could pull the inner well out easily. The comic appears unharmed.

This is the second slab I've received recently that was packed this way. Thankfully, the first arrived without damage. In the past, they always shipped slabs in the large box and raws in the medium.

I know some of you guys have HA hold your wins until you accumulate a pile and then have them shipped together. Do you think this would result in a bigger, sturdier box being used?

Hi Walter

I've had similar experiences recently - packaging is inadequate, delivery times are much longer, and what is placed on the waybill leads to inappropriate customs charges that have to be paid and reclaimed - ie comics listed as art.

A high grade book I won worth $2500 had a similar crack to the CGC case, exposing the inner case but thankfully not damaging the book. This was in a box of 7 slabs worth $16k that had hardly any insulating material, and they were crammed in to a box several sizes too small. I felt fortunate only one was damaged.

When I complained they at first offered to rehouse the book if I returned it. Then they said I would have to resubmit to CGC directly and document everything before they would compensate on the grounds that I am an international customer.

I didn't bother, and am reluctant to participate further in their auctions.

I usually pick up my books directly from Heritage, but I've never had any bad shipping issues with art or comics. If this is a concern it would be advisable to contact HA staff before bidding. With substantial capital invested it seems reasonable for big ticket bidders to request a little special treatment. My 2c (applied to safer shipping)

and what is placed on the waybill leads to inappropriate customs charges that have to be paid and reclaimed - ie comics listed as art.

Same here. This has happened several times now - I have a form letter for this as well as for when Parcelforce or Royal Mail do the same thing. Every time I emailed Heritage with all the details and explanations, I made it clear that they had put the wrong description on the customs form and that in future I asked if they could they just write "old comics".

They then proceed to make the same error again. They (and Fedex) were never a problem regarding this until the last year or so.

Thanks for the input. In the past, I've always been happy with their packing and shipping, but there does seem to be a recent change and not for the better.

Cat, nice that you can pick up in person. If I win anything in the upcoming auction, I'll ask politely if they will take extra care with the packaging.

I called about a year ago and requested that all my winnings be sent via FedEx Overnight (because ups is a nightmare near my house and USPS is slow and things get stolen). All of my items have shipped in such a fashion subsequently. So if you have a shipping method you prefer call and ask if they will add it to your account.

I won a few GA comics (raw) in an auction in early 2014 that when shipped were rubber banded to a piece of cardboard - no top layer of cardboard so the heavy rubberband was cutting into the sides of the comics - the books were also basically floating in an oversized box. It was mind boggling how it could have been shipped this way.