• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

Speaking of, how is that Whiz 2 (1) not in a purple holder with that much restoration notes ? (shrug)

-J.

:gossip: read the back of your CGC holster some time :)

At the sole discretion of CGC, very minor color-touch or glue may be assigned a marked and color coded "Universal" label, however a description of the detected restoration, in general or specific terms, will be disclosed. With this exception, the "Universal" marked and color-coded CGC certified books have been examined for restoration and none was found.

I see this all the time with GA books, not often on SA etc.

Speaking of, how is that Whiz 2 (1) not in a purple holder with that much restoration notes ? (shrug)

-J.

At the sole discretion of CGC, very minor color-touch or glue may be assigned a marked and color coded "Universal" label, however a description of the detected restoration, in general or specific terms, will be disclosed. With this exception, the "Universal" marked and color-coded CGC certified books have been examined for restoration and none was found.

Thanks jaybuck (thumbs u

-J.

it was restored then "un" restored

-J.

This I know and understand.

This particular book with its "minor" CT (as opposed to "very minor"), in conjunction with the glue on the spine would seem to put it well over CGC's imaginary line IMO. That looks to (still) be a restored book with the wrong label colour to me.

-J.

You and me both jaydog but cgc is allowed to be arbitrary and capricious so long as it is noted. To me universal should be universal, but what do I know :shrug:

You and me both jaydog but cgc is allowed to be arbitrary and capricious so long as it is noted. To me universal should be universal, but what do I know :shrug:

arbitrary and capricious. I love lawyer talk. (thumbs u

arbitrary and capricious. I love lawyer talk. (thumbs u

Blue vs purple is the biggest joke on the planet. I think going forward the 10 point grading system with a universal label subtracting for any type of alteration of the book would be wise for all collectors. You should not be able to "fudge" a blue or purple label depending on what the cgc grader had for lunch than afternoon.

As Gator mentioned earlier in the thread I too would expect prices to soften for high grade books. That doesn't mean the hammer prices won't still be up substantially from say 2011. My take is that many international buyers (especially Canadian) are having a hard time competing against the strengthened Greenback.

As Gator mentioned earlier in the thread I too would expect prices to soften for high grade books. That doesn't mean the hammer prices won't still be up substantially from say 2011. My take is that many international buyers (especially Canadian) are having a hard time competing against the strengthened Greenback.

International collectors should be SELLING now. They should've been buying when the USD was weak and now they should be selling.

It's fairly straight forward: If the book has glue or color touch on a GA book and the glue or color touch does not improve the grade of the book then the glue or color touch is treated like a foreign substance and the book goes into a blue holder.

I'm high bidder on the Mile High Action Comics 63. $38 bucks :banana:

That book is insanely gorgeous. I just don't know if I'm willing to sell the books that I'd have to sell to afford it. hm

If I remember correctly that book had two very long horizontal printer's creases right through the image of Superman and the Zero which I don't really see on this scan anymore.

Pressed out, or Color-washed out?

It's fairly straight forward: If the book has glue or color touch on a GA book and the glue or color touch does not improve the grade of the book then the glue or color touch is treated like a foreign substance and the book goes into a blue holder.

hm

But at one point this book was in a purple holder and someone removed (evidently just enough) of the glue and colour touch so that the book could magically qualify for a blue label.

Yet at least some of that restorative material is still there.

So in my mind's eye that is still a restored book. It is just slightly "less restored" now.

-J.

hm

But at one point this book was in a purple holder and someone removed (evidently just enough) of the glue and colour touch so that the book could magically qualify for a blue label.

So in my mind's eye that is still a restored book. It is just slightly "less restored" now.

-J.

At one point the color touch or glue improved the grade of the book. Now it doesn't.

hm

-J.

At one point the color touch or glue improved the grade of the book. Now it doesn't.

I know that grading in itself is subjective. But the presence of restorative material is not. It's either there or it isn't. I'm a bit troubled by this at times loosey-goosey standard of some GA slabs when it comes to restoration. Nothing against the books themselves. Just the grading company's at times sliding scale.

-J.

hm

-J.

I know that grading in itself is subjective. But the presence of restorative material is not. It's either there or it isn't. I'm a bit troubled by this loosey-goosey treatment of some GA slabs when it comes to restoration.

-J.

If you drop a pen on a book is that color touch? If you drop a glue stick on a book is that restoration?

The grading system is attempting to represent what is actually going on with the book. If the color touch or glue do not improve the grade they go into a blue label. If they do improve the grade they go into a purple label. Nothing 'loosey-goosey' about it.

In both cases the color touch and glue are described on the label.

hm

-J.

I know that grading in itself is subjective. But the presence of restorative material is not. It's either there or it isn't. I'm a bit troubled by this loosey-goosey treatment of some GA slabs when it comes to restoration.

-J.

If you drop a pen on a book is that color touch? If you drop a glue stick on a book is that restoration?

The grading system is attempting to represent what is actually going on with the book. If the color touch or glue do not improve the grade they go into a blue label. If they do improve the grade they go into a purple label. Nothing 'loosey-goosey' about it.

In both cases the color touch and glue are described on the label.

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But that's not what happened on "this" book. On "this" book it seems more like the system was gamed a little to get a blue label. Get rid of "just enough" of the restoration. Yet some of it is still there. I can't get behind that, but maybe it's just me. And books graded 0.5 can have restoration. So I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

-J.

Right. But there are some books where you don't know what happened. We wouldn't know what happened to this book if someone else didn't already explain it in this thread.

The color of the label simply denotes whether the foreign substance improves the grade or not. The foreign substance is still clearly described if it is present. I don't have a problem with that system and it much better describes to me what is going on with the book than just putting it in a purple label.

The reason the system was "gamed" is because most people don't know how to value a restored book so the seller is forced to remove restoration in order to get what the book should be worth.

In my opinion the book should be worth the same (with glue removed or glue still present).

Anyway, we've done this song and dance. I'm not going to start this up again.

Implicit in the term "colour touch" is that there was in fact some intent to cover a defect- as opposed to someone just dropping a marker on the cover. Same with "glue on the spine". Someone was obviously trying to reattach the cover at some point. Okay so now someone removes "some" but not all of these restorative substances. The book should still be labeled as "restored" because "some" of that material is still there.

-J.