• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Golden Age Collectors?
4 4

187 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2021 at 9:55 AM, Robot Man said:

So you probably remember nickle candy bars and 50 cent gas...:preach:

Candy bars were 10 cents for me and I think gas was around 30 or 35 cents in the early 70’s. I do remember the gas crunch and prices skyrocketing to 50 cents around 1974. Also only being able to get gas on odd and even days. Also going from someone running up to your car to clean windows, check water and and fluids and air. That was normal then became an option as full service vs self service until now when you get nothing offered and do all the work. Lol

You don’t realize how crappy service in general is today unless you lived long enough to compare it to how it was. 

On 10/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, N e r V said:

Candy bars were 10 cents for me and I think gas was around 30 or 35 cents in the early 70’s. I do remember the gas crunch and prices skyrocketing to 50 cents around 1974. Also only being able to get gas on odd and even days. Also going from someone running up to your car to clean windows, check water and and fluids and air. That was normal then became an option as full service vs self service until now when you get nothing offered and do all the work. Lol

You don’t realize how crappy service in general is today unless you lived long enough to compare it to how it was. 

Now, if you tell me that you remember when a 7-Up was a candy bar, then I'll know you're old.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I might part with mine.  Put it up on the boards if I do.  

Pfft I doubt I’d ever own a TEC #27. Would be amazing to have one but one can dream. 

Although, if you want to just slide it my way for free, that’s always an option of course. :x

On 10/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I might part with mine.  Put it up on the boards if I do.  

Would you consider a trade? I've got a Hulk 181 ready to go. According to the 200 listings on ebay,  it's super rare,  red hot, and only going up in value! DM for details. My wife is an awesome baker and will include a pie with any successful trade! 

All joking aside,  I would love to see it offered on the boards.  That would be very cool! 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:08 PM, KCOComics said:

Honestly,  I wish I collected like you when I was your age. 

I collected books I loved,  like Silver Surfer, Wolverine, punisher, spawn spidey.  And I grabbed and held onto some great books, but I wish I was more focused on getting keys and GA books back when it was comparably inexpensive to do so.  

You've got an awesome and growing collection. Keep on buying, selling and upgrading! My word of advice,  don't be afraid to jump on opportunities when they present themselves.  I never regretted buying books,  even when I sold allot to do so,  but I've certainly regretted not buying books when I could have.   

Thanks! I’m happy with where my collection is at since I’m always wheeling and dealing to make it better than what it already is. :)

I’m always jumping on opportunities when they present themselves now that I have the funds to buy the books I want, and that I’m always networking with dealers or building relationships with local shops as I go on so it only increases those opportunities for the books I want to come my way. 

In today’s market, you gotta be ready to pull the trigger if you can or you’ll miss out.

Edited by Terry JSA

On 10/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

So, I'm confused, does that mean the Woo Woo train is the first train to Clarksville or last?  hm  

:kidaround:

Alas, for me getting nostalgic means thinking back to buying AF15 off a spinner rack at a local drug store,

...but that forces me to recall selling off my Marvel SA less than a decade later when I got totally into GA.

doh!  Oh well! :tink:

See the source image

On 10/2/2021 at 4:29 PM, Terry JSA said:

Thanks! I’m happy with where my collection is at since I’m always wheeling and dealing to make it better than what it already is. :)

I’m always jumping on opportunities when they present themselves now that I have the funds to buy the books I want, and that I’m always networking with dealers or building relationships with local shops as I go on so it only increases those opportunities for the books I want to come my way. 

In today’s market, you gotta be ready to pull the trigger if you can or you’ll miss out.

You’re probably totally on the right track to do it today. I think the scope of what you can get today is becoming more narrow but it sounds like you’re on top of things. I mean look at how bronze went from affordable to where it is today in really just a short period. 

Only suggestions might be take Bedrock out to a Texas chili cook off for lunch or send Jimjum a pet lizard or gift a Snoopy plush to Ricksneatstuff over at Heritage. Greasing the giants of the selling world never hurts. :devil:

Edited by N e r V

On 10/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, N e r V said:

You’re probably totally on the right track to do it today. I think the scope of what you can get today is becoming more narrow but it sounds like you’re on top of things. I mean look at how bronze went from affordable to where it is today in really just a short period. 

Only suggestions might be take Bedrock out to a Texas chili cook off for lunch or send Jimjum a pet lizard or gift a Snoopy plush to Ricksneatstuff over at Heritage. Greasing the giants of the selling world never hurts. :devil:

Don’t even get me started on BA books. The prices for some of the keys are insane, which is why I typically buy books in person nowadays since I’m able to get a good deal on them. 

I’m most definitely on top of things. The hobby is growing and the market is constantly changing. Gotta keep up with the supply and demand of certain books. 

Don’t worry, I hope to start making connections with people at Heritage as I have to make a name for myself somehow. Gotta let people know I’m a serious collector. B|

On 10/2/2021 at 8:24 PM, Terry JSA said:

Don’t even get me started on BA books. The prices for some of the keys are insane, which is why I typically buy books in person nowadays since I’m able to get a good deal on them. 

I’m most definitely on top of things. The hobby is growing and the market is constantly changing. Gotta keep up with the supply and demand of certain books. 

Don’t worry, I hope to start making connections with people at Heritage as I have to make a name for myself somehow. Gotta let people know I’m a serious collector. B|

Just don’t call yourself Terry’s comics. That’s in use…:nyah:

On 9/30/2021 at 8:15 PM, Randall Dowling said:

These really surprised me as I'm also 49 and so is @Hamlet.  I wouldn't have expected that there were so many of us here that are the same age.  

Here's to you, boys!  Live long and... Oof, my back hurts.  :tink:

It's surprising that the majority of us are in the 35-50 range. I always thought GA collectors skewed older based on my experience at shows, etc. In the late 80's when I started seriously collecting, I was 99% silver age/bronze age collector but remember the excitement when I picked up my first true GA book (Adventure Comics 87). GA was hard to come by then especially in central Texas where I lived. I don't remember seeing much of it until my family moved to West Coast but obviously EBay changed all that. But I guess moving to GA is just a natural progression in comic collecting. Quality becomes more important with age rather than quantity. 

51. Most of my Golden's are Tarzan.  Starting to branch out a bit. Lone Ranger, pre codes.  I like collecting GA. I treat it like I do 40's & 50's football card collecting.  Nothing perfect or uber-mint, but well loved and with character is fine  :cloud9:

On 10/4/2021 at 10:58 AM, Ian Winner said:

It's surprising that the majority of us are in the 35-50 range. I always thought GA collectors skewed older based on my experience at shows, etc. 

I think they do skew older.  Message Boards skew younger.  But, even on this board, most of the most serious GA collectors are over 50, many in their 60s.  Think about the guys whose collections we talk the most about, guys like the Dentist, Geppi, Fischler, Halperin, Bangzoom, Moondog, etc., and it quickly becomes apparent all of them started collecting in the 60s.  And they are just the tip of the iceberg, because there are a lot of deep GA collections across the country in the hands of guys who started back then.  Personally, I think that while their plenty of examples of younger folks with GA collections, if you had a list of the best collections, the vast majority would be owned by older guys.  The young waiting in the wings are going to either inherit a great collection (see Verzyl's heirs or, in the future, Blissard) or are going to have the opportunity to buy a number of great collections over the next 20 years.  I really don't think inventory is going to be much of an issue for the GA market.

P.S. I'm 55, but have had the advantage of my father's childhood collection he gave me in 1979 that he amassed in the late 40s and early 50s (he's 82).

Edited by sfcityduck