• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Golden Age Collectors?
4 4

187 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Back in the day most every GA and SA artist was alive and many went to shows. SDCC was one of the big shows and seems like everyone was there at one time or another.

I remember looking at the guest list and pulling out a couple books of artists I admired for signatures. They were usually in Artists Alley. I looked for the oldest guys with white hair and there was rarely much of a line. I remember looking for Irv Novak of MLJ game. I finally found him looking frail with an oxygen tube. So friendly and was so happy anybody remembered him. Sadly, time has claimed most of them.

Feldstien and Eisner were at many of them. Both incredible guys who always took time with their fans. I missed Alex Schomburg at his only SDCC. One of my top 5 favorites. 

I was looking forward to Alan Bellman at WonderCon in 2020. Sadly, he passed away about a month before the Con and a month later life went haywire and the Con was canceled anyway. 

Was the GA for comic cons. 

There really aren't allot of GA guys left. 

Romita Sr is still around and someone that I would love to meet... But I understand he's but doing shows anymore. We lost Heath, Ken Bald and Bellman all in the last few years. Russ Heath would have been really cool to meet. 

When the world settles down I do want to make it a point to meet Sterenko and Adams... They are still pretty active, and even though they feel like young whipper snappers compared to the guys were talking about, they are in their 80s and won't be seeing fans forever. 

On 10/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, paqart said:

I'm 55. All of my GA comics are Barks ducks. Although I grew up in the 1970's, I collected GA back then. I also had a much better collection then than now. I once was the proud owner of Batman #2, Wonder Woman #2, Action 25, Sub-Mariner #2, Comics Cavalcade #3, World's Finest #2, Many ECs and Barks ducks, including US #1 and Christmas on Bear Mountain, all in NM condition (the Barks, not the others), along with many Eisner/ Lou Fine, LB Cole comics like Spirit, Plastic Man, Uncle Sam, and others. Now, though I started with the goal of recreating my 1979 collection, I am buying modern newsstands for their high value to cost ratio. Hoping to sell those for enough profit to get some of the more valuable comics that are now out of reach financially.

Speculating in Moderns to buy GAs is a brilliant strategy. I hope you can manage to buy back some of the GA you once had. 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:32 PM, KCOComics said:

I've read lots of accounts of Jack chain smoking in those days.  

Did you ever meet Cole? I never hear much about him doing shows. 

What was Schomburg like?

At first glance I thought you meant Jack Cole! lol

Yeah, in person and some correspondence for the recreations stuff. I think he advertised the recreations if I remember correctly in the price guide and maybe the comic buyers guide or whatever at the time. He seemed to me a pretty savvy guy. Alex I think had family with him. Just don’t remember who. I do remember chatting about certain covers, etc. He did a lot of work so hard to pin people down with remembering stuff. He and Martin were together before the comics publishing so I was interested in that earlier period. If there was a type almost all the GA people I ever spoke with were very appreciative for the interest in their work, friendly but memories varied depending on topic and person. It’s to be expected with anyone at that age. Lee and Kirby both had Swiss cheese memories. Steranko has varied depending on the day you talked. Cole I seemed to remember as enjoying his newfound fame. Roy Thomas is the guy I’d love to sit in a room with because he had a lot of different information over the years. No idea what he’s like these days though. I wished I had way more time with Archie Goodwin and Mark Gruenwald. Both were knowledge fountains in a number of ways.

Oh and the reason the post caught my attention about Jack Cole is because through other sources I did get to meet Hugh Hefner many years ago and briefly asked him about Jack Cole. Nothing but big props from him about Cole and indirectly confirmed to me at least the rumors about the why of his death are probably true

On 10/7/2021 at 9:41 PM, KCOComics said:

There really aren't allot of GA guys left. 

Romita Sr is still around and someone that I would love to meet... But I understand he's but doing shows anymore. We lost Heath, Ken Bald and Bellman all in the last few years. Russ Heath would have been really cool to meet. 

When the world settles down I do want to make it a point to meet Sterenko and Adams... They are still pretty active, and even though they feel like young whipper snappers compared to the guys were talking about, they are in their 80s and won't be seeing fans forever. 

Steranko and Adams are in their 70's. Jim was 20/21 years old when he was doing those amazing Shields. He'd already had a career as an escape artist/magician. The man is incredible.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Back in the day most every GA and SA artist was alive and many went to shows. SDCC was one of the big shows and seems like everyone was there at one time or another.

I remember looking at the guest list and pulling out a couple books of artists I admired for signatures. They were usually in Artists Alley. I looked for the oldest guys with white hair and there was rarely much of a line. I remember looking for Irv Novak of MLJ game. I finally found him looking frail with an oxygen tube. So friendly and was so happy anybody remembered him. Sadly, time has claimed most of them.

Feldstien and Eisner were at many of them. Both incredible guys who always took time with their fans. I missed Alex Schomburg at his only SDCC. One of my top 5 favorites. 

I was looking forward to Alan Bellman at WonderCon in 2020. Sadly, he passed away about a month before the Con and a month later life went haywire and the Con was canceled anyway. 

Was the GA for comic cons. 

We were part of the last generation of collectors that knew the first generation of Comic Book Artists.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

If for no other, Novak has left his imprint with this unforgettable cover

1509A700-AF8E-4696-B1FC-0F73474CD320.png

I guess it true what they say—"There's no disputing about tastes." To me, that's one of the most boring Pep covers. I'd much rather have a Pep 34.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, Robot Man said:

Just off the top of my head, Angelo Torres, Ramona Fredon and Lille Rene. I’m sure they are a few others. Time marches on...

For artists active prior WW II, I'm not sure there is anyone.  Of the above, only Rene was active prior to '45.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess it true what they say—"There's no disputing about tastes." To me, that's one of the most boring Pep covers. I'd much rather have a Pep 34.

Yeah, I love #34 too. Sadly, never owned one. 

But given the two, I have to go with #20. I hate the word but this one fits “iconic” stature. It is such a stark, horrifying image. The heroes are really in the back drop. Must have been so striking on the newstand. 

On 10/8/2021 at 4:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Ok I’ve gotta respond to that one. I, too, find the anatomy a little wrong, especially the guy on the left. What makes this a masterpiece, for me, is the bottom half. It’s Holocaust depiction is haunting 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, N e r V said:

Oh and the reason the post caught my attention about Jack Cole is because through other sources I did get to meet Hugh Hefner many years ago and briefly asked him about Jack Cole. Nothing but big props from him about Cole and indirectly confirmed to me at least the rumors about the why of his death are probably true

Can you clarify this?  I've always thought this was unknown.  

On 10/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, buttock said:

The best guess is that he was despondent over his wife having an affair.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, buttock said:

Yes more or less what Adam strange said. The point being the wife as the direct source as to why he killed himself. You could argue she never released her letter to protect him but since it was not a great marriage more likely it was the why I’m doing this because of you. Having friends that divorce I always question anyone who jumps right in with someone else. Divorce is stressful. Is that a rebound or is that part of the reason for divorcing? If it was a strong marriage prior a rebound might be expected but their marriage wasn’t that from Hefs and others accounts… 

Interesting. I just yesterday finished reading Fantagraphics Focus on Jack Cole, and was curious if there were any known motivations for his suicide.