• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

This may sound funny but I like that cover even better now that I see it on that sweet Church copy! :cloud9:

With the sad passing of Creig Flessel today, I am resurrecting this thread in tribute. Creig was a brilliant artist and a wonderful human being. Even in his mid-90's, his mind and humor were as sharp as ever. I feel so fortunate that I was able to briefly spend time with him during a visit to his home a couple of years ago.

Creig Flessel was there when comic books were in their infancy, and he produced some of the most memorable covers of the Golden Age. From a personal standpoint, he was my favorite artist whose work graces the books I most covet. I will miss him, as I'm sure will his many other fans.

Peter

62396.jpg.7d0b1f3703c19a4610cb5caf43840b84.jpg

62397.jpg.063c54a7284307a2100458862beeca2e.jpg

As I read the news of Creig Flessel passing away my heart filled with sorrow and regret. I had intentions of traveling to Northern California and visiting my favorite comic book artist. I can regrettably never do this now, and my love and appreciation for his work will forever be know only by myself and fellow collectors. Creig Flessel was an amazing artist who lent his artistic hand to an industry that seemed trivial and childish at the time.

R.I.P Creig Flessel. You will be dearly missed

adv33.jpg

NA28.jpg

NA31.jpg

Super colors on those Andy ;) Did you pick up the Ad51 from GE (Dino) and did you ever get his Subby 6?

Ben

I did get this from Dino, but didn't get the Subby 6. Thanks for the PM, even though I ended up with a different book!

As I read the news of Creig Flessel passing away my heart filled with sorrow and regret. I had intentions of traveling to Northern California and visiting my favorite comic book artist. I can regrettably never do this now, and my love and appreciation for his work will forever be know only by myself and fellow collectors. Creig Flessel was an amazing artist who lent his artistic hand to an industry that seemed trivial and childish at the time.

R.I.P Creig Flessel. You will be dearly missed

My feelings more eloquently put than I could attempt :golfclap:

Tec3.jpg

Tec4.jpg

Super colors on those Andy ;) Did you pick up the Ad51 from GE (Dino) and did you ever get his Subby 6?

Ben

I did get this from Dino, but didn't get the Subby 6. Thanks for the PM, even though I ended up with a different book!

Cool Andy. That's a very bright clean AD51 from my Pinoy Boy GE :cool:

Great thread and a loving tribute to my favorite GA artist.

I still remember when Gary Carter had phoned to tell me that Creig had been "found" and asked if I was interested in helping to sponsor his trip to San Diego that year - I think I had the check written before he had finished asking the question.

One of my favorite Golden Age artists is Creig Flessel, who drew many of the covers of DC's earliest comics. We've seen postings from John Berk, CentaurMan and others of some of the Flessel covers, but there are many that have not been posted. Hence, I am starting this thread to pay homage to this Golden Age legend, and to see how many of these great covers can be shown by the collective body of forumites. I'll start things off with one of his classics:

751971-Detective8%282%29.jpg

Very nice.Some super covers for sure.Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Does anyone know who drew Atomics Comics 1? A tribute to Flessel in the 40's?

atomiccomics1cgc9.2.jpg

Jay

For those of you that are relatively new to the boards and not familiar with Flessel's work, take a look at the intricate artwork and detail of his cover to New Adventure 24. Who else was drawing covers like this in 1938?

Norman Rockwell. Creig was in very good company. He will be sorely missed.