• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Comiclink auction thread, post 'em if you got 'em

1,141 posts in this topic

Instead of sending direct to CGC who will slab everything, have you ever thought about sending it to the auction house first. They would also be able to get you the maximum discount on the grading fees without you having to pay anything upfront. This way, they can also do a preliminary review of your books and only slab the items that are deemed worthwhile to slab or possibly even look for maximization of potential for your books. Minimize your slabbing fees and possibly maximize your potential sales dollars. hm Actually, not sure if CL even provides this service to their consignors or not.

Just curious, what are the standard auction fees when consigning through CL? ???

They will. I had a Daredevil run of 2-100 that I sent them, with maybe 20 slabs in the mix. They reviewed the rest, sent some for slabbing, and sold the remainder as lots. The lots did surprisingly well. It saved me countless hours of time trying to move that stuff.

It's good to know that CL does provide this review process for their consignors. (thumbs u

Would you happen to know the standard auction fees for consigning through CL?

It's a flat 10%, irrespective of how the buyer pays. ComicConnect charges a 10% seller's premium if the buyer pays by check, but a 13% seller's premium if the buyer pays with a credit card.

Yes, but I believe that Metro has a cap on credit card usage for their customers and I believe it is something in the $2K range. A large portion of the vintage books on the CC auction site would be pass this credit card threshold anyways.

In addition, I also believe the consignor can say No to credit card payments. Of course, this would also limit the number of potential bidders for their own books.

Sounds as if you've had some experience selling books on CC. How would you rate them from a consignor's point of view? hm

I would have a nice signature series Plop 4 from Comiclink's auction but they evidently lost it. Anybody have Josh Nathanson's email? I have been in contact with them but it seems I have to email them for an update and maybe it is time to take it to the top.

I would have a nice signature series Plop 4 from Comiclink's auction but they evidently lost it. Anybody have Josh Nathanson's email? I have been in contact with them but it seems I have to email them for an update and maybe it is time to take it to the top.

I'm having a similar issue with a book that I won in the March auction. Updates are rare, and only after a good deal of prompting.

Instead of sending direct to CGC who will slab everything, have you ever thought about sending it to the auction house first. They would also be able to get you the maximum discount on the grading fees without you having to pay anything upfront. This way, they can also do a preliminary review of your books and only slab the items that are deemed worthwhile to slab or possibly even look for maximization of potential for your books. Minimize your slabbing fees and possibly maximize your potential sales dollars. hm Actually, not sure if CL even provides this service to their consignors or not.

Just curious, what are the standard auction fees when consigning through CL? ???

They will. I had a Daredevil run of 2-100 that I sent them, with maybe 20 slabs in the mix. They reviewed the rest, sent some for slabbing, and sold the remainder as lots. The lots did surprisingly well. It saved me countless hours of time trying to move that stuff.

It's good to know that CL does provide this review process for their consignors. (thumbs u

It's a flat 10%, irrespective of how the buyer pays. ComicConnect charges a 10% seller's premium if the buyer pays by check, but a 13% seller's premium if the buyer pays with a credit card.

Yes, but I believe that Metro has a cap on credit card usage for their customers and I believe it is something in the $2K range. A large portion of the vintage books on the CC auction site would be pass this credit card threshold anyways.

In addition, I also believe the consignor can say No to credit card payments. Of course, this would also limit the number of potential bidders for their own books.

Sounds as if you've had some experience selling books on CC. How would you rate them from a consignor's point of view? hm

No, the last time I ever auctioned anything off was way back in 1999 or 2000 and that was through Greg Manning. I don't even believe Heritage was into comics yet and CC probably didn't even exist then.

Really done more as a test of CGC's grading as they had just opened their doors earlier that same year. If I remember correctly, everything came back between 9.2 and 9.6. :)

No, the last time I ever auctioned anything off was way back in 1999 or 2000 and that was through Greg Manning. I don't even believe Heritage was into comics yet and CC probably didn't even exist then.

Really done more as a test of CGC's grading as they had just opened their doors earlier that same year. If I remember correctly, everything came back between 9.2 and 9.6. :)

Ah. ok. It seemed as if you were writing from personal experience. My own experience buying and selling in CC's auction (comics only -- no OA) differs from a couple of your statements.

I don't think a "large portion" of the books in CC auctions sell for more than the credit card limit. On the contrary, I would say 90% or more for sell for less.

So, if you have, say, $5,000 worth of books to sell, none of which is likely to sell for more than two thousand dollars, you would pay a seller's premium of $500 on CLink, but, potentially, $650 on CC. That extra 3% shouldn't necessarily be decisive in which venue you consign to, but it's worth taking into account.

There are other factors to take into account as well, of course. For one, CLink is usually quite prompt in forwarding payment. CC can be quite slow. I've waited more than three months after an auction has closed to receive my last payment.

And while it may be true that "the consignor can say No to credit card payments," I can't recall ever seeing such a notation in an auction listing. I have seen consignors place reserves and I have seen CC's notation on some high-value books that potential bidders should contact them before bidding if they haven't dealt with CC before. But I don't recall seeing a "no payment by credit card" notation. So if that option exists, it must be exercised very rarely, or else I'm just not paying close enough attention -- which is always a possibility!

What are they telling you? I was told that they were looking for it and it was not sent to another customer ( as I suggested it might of.) I am going to wait a few more days and email Josh to see if he knows what is going on.

What are they telling you? I was told that they were looking for it and it was not sent to another customer ( as I suggested it might of.) I am going to wait a few more days and email Josh to see if he knows what is going on.

Thus far I've been told that it's one of the books "that just hasn't turned up" on the searches. It hasn't been stated whether or not it was shipped to someone else though.

Good news: I got my April books today, which was pretty fast service.

Bad news: I never got the shipping notice, just the "your label has been generated but your box hasn't shipped yet" notice, and the next thing I got was the "your box is sitting in the open on your porch" notice at like 10 am when I wasn't going to be home until 5. :frustrated:

Luckily everything was fine, and the books are beautiful, but it is irritating that someplace a ball got dropped when it came to shipping notifications.

Bad news: I never got the shipping notice, just the "your label has been generated but your box hasn't shipped yet" notice, and the next thing I got was the "your box is sitting in the open on your porch" notice at like 10 am when I wasn't going to be home until 5. :frustrated:

Luckily everything was fine, and the books are beautiful, but it is irritating that someplace a ball got dropped when it came to shipping notifications.

Hmmm, haven't got my April books yet and also have not got a shipping notification. Thanks for the reminder to make a call tomorrow!

-bc

ps - Good luck to all on this months Featured auction !

One of the most disorganized companies I've dealt with. They've sent me the wrong book twice now and it's almost impossible to get anything done when they mess up.

One of the most disorganized companies I've dealt with. They've sent me the wrong book twice now and it's almost impossible to get anything done when they mess up.

I'm being refunded on the book I won in the March auction. They're not certain if it was lost in-house, or sent to someone else, or if maybe they never had it in the first place.

This could be the auction that ends my marriage. So many excellent books, and OA too.

Yeah, I may very well be down to one kidney after the dust settles on this one. I just checked again, and if I bought every book I wanted for what I expect them to go for I could replace my car. That is just in the pre-hero Marvels.

This could be the auction that ends my marriage. So many excellent books, and OA too.

Understand your dilemma.

There are pages of high quality late additions to this auction. Got a few more tracking bids than usual.

-bc

These Feature ones can either be a waste of time for me or I get a couple that fall thru the cracks. Hopefully everyone is broke going for the big books and the smaller ones go cheap.

These Feature ones can either be a waste of time for me or I get a couple that fall thru the cracks. Hopefully everyone is broke going for the big books and the smaller ones go cheap.

Nope. Go small or don't go at all :thumbsup: