• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

I'm going with only 2.

:acclaim:

Tonight's ComicLink copy closed at 61K

RAD8EE1C201682_175726.jpg

thus endeth the lesson

Don't collect Marvel ? (shrug)

First to over pay, first to get fooked.

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

I'm going with only 2.

thus endeth the lesson

It was a market correction, but I think the buyer will turn a good profit in a year from now.

By the time the BP movie comes out, my crystall ball says a CGC 9.8 will have sold for over $100K, at least twice.

80-90K 1st sale. ..110K second sale of a 9.8 and then 125-150K, third time around.

Black Panther represents a cultural achievement for black Americans....and as the movie gets closer, serving to highlight this achievement, the book will continue to appreciate.

This is much more than a movie tie in book.

Consideration due to the BP being the first black super hero in comics....with positive African roots.....I can't think of another black super hero like the BP.

I'm going with only 2.

thus endeth the lesson

It was a market correction, but I think the buyer will turn a good profit in a year from now.

By the time the BP movie comes out, my crystall ball says a CGC 9.8 will have sold for over $100K, at least twice.

80-90K 1st sale. ..110K second sale of a 9.8 and then 125-150K, third time around.

Black Panther represents a cultural achievement for black Americans....and as the movie gets closer, serving to highlight this achievement, the book will continue to appreciate.

Consideration due to the BP being the first black super hero in comics....with positive African roots.....I can't think of another black super hero like the BP.

An important book certainly, but it's not like this info hasn't been known for many years, and it is common in most grades. This is all about the number in the top left corner and a handful of buyers with immensely deep pockets. No-one is going to walk out of the cinema and drop six figures on a book regardless of its cultural or historical significance, which (in my opinion) has been a little overstated - the character was created by two middle-aged Jewish guys who were keen to be progressive and move with the times.

And the BP in Civil War was both a badass and likable character. If that character affinity continues interest will continue from consumers. People buy what/who they like.

It`s true, he was the best thing in a pretty tedious movie.

And the BP in Civil War was both a badass and likable character. If that character affinity continues interest will continue from consumers. People buy what/who they like.

It was 10 fold better than "Martha". The Panther was really well done and a highlight of this movie. I really like it and I have seen it twice now, won't hesitate to watch it again soon.

It was 10 fold better than "Martha". The Panther was really well done and a highlight of this movie. I really like it and I have seen it twice now, won't hesitate to watch it again soon.

+1 on all points

61K still sounds like 3160K too much.

FTFY

Marvel hater.

9.2 copies were selling for upwards of $5,000 a couple of years ago, so it's hardly new hype solely driving the price of the 9.8 copies. The Panther is a great and in some ways an historic character, he's a Kirby/Lee creation, and his first appearance was undervalued for a long time

Plus, the Marvel madness begins at 9.8.

FTFY

Marvel hater.

9.2 copies were selling for upwards of $5,000 a couple of years ago, so it's hardly new hype solely driving the price of the 9.8 copies. The Panther is a great and in some ways an historic character, he's a Kirby/Lee creation, and his first appearance was undervalued for a long time

The comic is fine, but it's so common in high grade that I just don't get people paying these kinds of prices.

Then again, I still don't get the kinds of prices paid for FF 48, IM 1, Submariner 1, Cap 1 and Hulk 1, given that these are all incredibly common in high grade. I guess I'm just a grumpy old guy that the world has passed by. :preach:

FTFY

Marvel hater.

The comic is fine, but it's so common in high grade that I just don't get people paying these kinds of prices.

Then again, I still don't get the kinds of prices paid for FF 48, IM 1, Submariner 1, Cap 1 and Hulk 1, given that these are all incredibly common in high grade. I guess I'm just a grumpy old guy that the world has passed by. :preach:

Yes, but #52 is common in high grade because for years it was just one step above a run-filler, as opposed to those other books that are plentiful since they're warehouse copies, date from '68 (except #48 of course) and hoarded early on.

Am I mistaken or is this the same copy that sold on Heritage back in February? Bar code: 1292079007?

HA: $83,650 + 19.5% buyers premium = $99,962

CL: $61,000 – 10% commission = $54,900

A loss of $45,062 in 6 months?

Am I mistaken or is this the same copy that sold on Heritage back in February? Bar code: 1292079007?

The $83,650 price already includes the buyers premium.

FTFY

Marvel hater.

Yes, but #52 is common in high grade because for years it was just one step above a run-filler, as opposed to those other books that are plentiful since they're warehouse copies, date from '68 (except #48 of course) and hoarded early on.

What does the book being an overlooked key for years have to do with it being tough or common in high grade?

Several FF's are common in high grade,as you pointed out but FF 52 isn;t one of them. FF 76 is one that comes to mind as a warehouse copy.I have a copy tucked away in a short box that is a solid NM (and unpressed).Paid half Overstreet for it about 15 years ago, didn't know it was a warehouse book when I bought it, though.Hell, that's one of the books I'll eventually get around to dry cleaning/pressing and sending it off to CL for them to slab it for a no reserve auction, probabby next year.

As far as FF 52 being common in high grade, it's not a warehouse book, and the census numbers don't indicate it's common in the upper echelons.....

I'm going with only 2.

thus endeth the lesson

You might want to grab a bottle of windex and clean that crystal ball of yours.

So a mere loss of $28,750.

Thanks for the correction ^_^

But here's the part that I don't get... there is another 9.8 copy listed on the exchange with an asking price of $90k.

$90k - 10% = $81k

I still don't get why someone would “deliberately” take a loss, albeit only $2650. Makes no sense...