• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

But here's the part that I don't get... there is another 9.8 copy listed on the exchange with an asking price of $90k.

$90k - 10% = $81k

I still don't get why someone would “deliberately” take a loss, albeit only $2650. Makes no sense...

If you're talking about the Boston copy, I don't know if that's one of the copies that sold for the nosebleed prices. It could be the owner just put it up for sale after seeing the $83,000 plus sales.

GPA has the Boston copy selling in 2012 for $19,120. If the $80,000 offer is legitimate and the seller accepts it, that would be a decent return.

I also noticed that there's a Signature Series FF #52 in 9.6. It's listed for $30,000 and has an offer for $24.000. I sold this copy for $5100 in 2014 before Stan graced the cover with his Sharpie. I guess that's some really valuable ink.

Am I mistaken or is this the same copy that sold on Heritage back in February? Bar code: 1292079007?

HA: $83,650 + 19.5% buyers premium = $99,962

CL: $61,000 – 10% commission = $54,900

A loss of $45,062 in 6 months?

The $83,650 price already includes the buyers premium.

Thanks for the correction ^_^

But here's the part that I don't get... there is another 9.8 copy listed on the exchange with an asking price of $90k.

$90k - 10% = $81k

I still don't get why someone would “deliberately” take a loss, albeit only $2650. Makes no sense...

They're not the same copy. It's the Boston copy listed currently on the Link with an asking price of $90,000.

Here's my theory about all this.

- Collector, not flipper, buys the FF52 for 83K on Heritage.

- Because of this sale, the Curator comes up on Comiclink for 90K. A what the heck offering.

- Same collector, owner of the 83K book, sees the Curator and wants it.

- Collector makes an arrangement with Clink to buy the Curator if they sell his 83K copy for him.

- As far as the financials, everyone here is simply making speculations. I suspect Clink made the arrangement work for this buyer regarding fees. Seems fair.

- The GPA of the 83K sale on Heritage does include the BP. I think the actual final hammer was something like 69K.

- In summary you have a sale of 69K on HA, then a sale of 61K on Comiclink with one less bidder.

Doesn't seem too crazy too me.

- Because of this sale, the Curator comes up on Comiclink for 90K. A what the heck offering.

- Collector makes an arrangement with Clink to buy the Curator if they sell his 83K copy for him.

- As far as the financials, everyone here is simply making speculations. I suspect Clink made the arrangement work for this buyer regarding fees. Seems fair.

- The GPA of the 83K sale on Heritage does include the BP. I think the actual final hammer was something like 69K.

- In summary you have a sale of 69K on HA, then a sale of 61K on Comiclink with one less bidder.

In regards to your last bullet: Someone paid $83K via HA (the amount they paid included the BP), then a sale of $61K on CLink.

In regards to your last bullet: Someone paid $83K via HA (the amount they paid included the BP), then a sale of $61K on CLink.

...exactly. The consignor got the 61K.......and contrary to popular belief, HA does not waive the seller's fee on every big ticket book that hits the block. That's how they are paid......and most of what they sell are nicer high profile items. If they suspend their fees, you would quickly see that gleaming skyscraper in Dallas with a "For Sale" sign out front. As for selling at a loss, it happens all the time..... sometimes quick capital is needed for a better opportunity, for just one reason. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was taking the perspective of what the Seller got, 69K on HA and probably close to the full 61K on Clink(speculation of course). Just another way to look at the numbers.

...exactly. The consignor got the 61K.......and contrary to popular belief, HA does not waive the seller's fee on every big ticket book that hits the block. That's how they are paid......and most of what they sell are nicer high profile items. If they suspend their fees, you would quickly see that gleaming skyscraper in Dallas with a "For Sale" sign out front. As for selling at a loss, it happens all the time..... sometimes quick capital is needed for a better opportunity, for just one reason. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Like keeping creditors from garnishing your wages. :D

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

I'm going with only 2.

:acclaim:

Tonight's ComicLink copy closed at 61K

RAD8EE1C201682_175726.jpg

thus endeth the lesson

Boston C, is that you in disguise? lol

Welcome back to the boards after such a long absence. Especially when we are in desperate need of more of your economic wisdom in light of this red hot fiery market which we currently seemed to be immersed in. ;)

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

Three months later, it's listed at $82,000.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26id%3D1052%26f1%3DListDate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2ECondition%26ODire3%3DASC%26pg%3D1&id=1127341

Question is, is a 9.8 still worth that amount?

Well, I guess we got the answer to that question and it didn't take very long at all.

Actually, I think everybody already knew the obvious long term answer to that question once the initial sale at $84K took place. :tonofbricks:

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

I'm going with only 2.

thus endeth the lesson

First to over pay, first to get fooked.

And as history has clearly shown us time and time again, this is most definitely the case when a moonshot price is paid for the highest graded copy of a hot book that is actually common in all grades below the current highest grade. :tonofbricks:

And when it comes to these types of in-demand semi-key books, while the highest graded copies will almost assuredly drop significantly in price over time, the rest of the less than uber HG copies of the book will continue to increase steadily in value over the same period of time. hm

Am I mistaken or is this the same copy that sold on Heritage back in February? Bar code: 1292079007?

HA: $83,650 + 19.5% buyers premium = $99,962

CL: $61,000 – 10% commission = $54,900

A loss of $45,062 in 6 months?

The $83,650 price already includes the buyers premium.

So a mere loss of $28,750.

Yes, he probably looked through a different crystal ball than the one that CAK was using and decided it was best to cut bait now, as opposed to waiting and then having to absorb a $58,750 loss once the book settle down to a normal, less irrational exuberant pricing level. hm:tonofbricks:

Yes, he probably looked through a different crystal ball than the one that CAK was using and decided it was best to cut bait now, as opposed to waiting and then having to absorb a $58,750 loss once the book settle down to a normal, less irrational exuberant pricing level. hm:tonofbricks:

Unless you are dealing with a villian in a movie type of hype, how often do these keys truly come down to the levels you project ? They may settle down a bit but never to pre Movie levels. I agree an 83K sales is an outliner but it's not going back down to 20K either. As I stated previously, I think the owner of the 83K book sold it to fund his purchase of the Curator copy. After spending 83K, he wanted an upgrade or should I say upPed. He's probably happy.

Those FF Curators did fetch especially strong prices when they sold on Heritage a few years ago. They were highly sought after.

The Curators have some of the best page quality I have ever seen, truly bone white, across the board. I'd put the Curator pedigree on par with the Pacific Coast pedigree. A 9.6 PC copy of Supes 199 just sold in auction for 19,750 and it didn't even have White Pages. To me, that sale is more amazing than these FF52 sales. Just think, a DC comic in 9.6, without WP, and not really a key (although it is a cool book). Interesting that both have black covers.

I'd put the Curator pedigree on par with the Pacific Coast pedigree.

Book for book, Curators are generally better than PCs. However, there are a lot more PCs.

Having said that, there appears to be more depth and breadth to the Curator collection than I had previously thought.

I'd put the Curator pedigree on par with the Pacific Coast pedigree.

Book for book, Curators are generally better than PCs. However, there are a lot more PCs.

Having said that, there appears to be more depth and breadth to the Curator collection than I had previously thought.

Unfortunately, there would also appear to be a lot of Curator books not designated as such and sitting unbeknownst in the collections of private collectors. hm

I'm going with only 2.

thus endeth the lesson

I would also add that the simple fact of having 6 copies (virtually most in relatively high grade) of this exact same book in this one auction here, certainly did no favors at all for all of the consignors of this book. :mad:

It would certainly help to remind any potential bidders that this particular book is actually quite common, even in relatively high grade condition. :P

It would certainly help to remind any potential bidders that this particular book is actually quite common, even in relatively high grade condition. :P

Yes it is, with many many raw copies sitting in private collections.

Unless you are dealing with a villian in a movie type of hype, how often do these keys truly come down to the levels you project ? They may settle down a bit but never to pre Movie levels. I agree an 83K sales is an outliner but it's not going back down to 20K either. As I stated previously, I think the owner of the 83K book sold it to fund his purchase of the Curator copy. After spending 83K, he wanted an upgrade or should I say upPed. He's probably happy.

So what you're saying is that the 83k buyer also buys the 90k book. Keeps the better 90k book and then auctions off his 83k book 6 months later in order to fund his second 90k book?

But knowing that there is a third 9.8 listed on the exchange for 90k, he must realize that it's highly unlikely his 83k book would shoot past 90k if there is another one available. So the question remains... why knowingly take a loss? Some sort of money laundering scam?

Also, are guys who pick up 90k books hard up for money? I assume high rollers have money stashed away else where. It’s hard to imagine that a near 30k loss has no meaning, even for the affluent.