• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Lookit that ! A freshly graded 9.8. What were the odds. :eyeroll:

I would say probably about 98%. lol

Going forward, I would also say there is a 98% chance that additional freshly graded 9.8 or regraded former 9.6 copies will show up in the census. hm

Lots of collectors were hoarding Marvels by 1966. Hundreds of really nice raw copies of this comic exist in various collections. With a little bit of "massaging", who knows...?

(shrug)

I think of it sometimes as the "third guy" problem:

Winner pays $20,000

First underbidder was willing to pay one increment lower

Second underbidder (third guy) was willing to pay ... Two increments lower? $10,000? $5,000?

On books that aren't widely collected, that third guy's willingness to pay may be way down there.

I think that`s exactly right. Keller bought a lot of esoteric books that were really nice but kind of niche.

Take some of the MH New Adventures that he won first time around. His primary competitor was probably RHG, and then a big drop off to the next bidder. So when Keller had to sell, there was Peter to pick up the books at 50 cents on the dollar, because the next highest bidder was way down below.

The mathematics of auctions for a seller can be really ugly if and when the high bidder is no longer there. That's because the high bidder has to outbid the second highest bidder, but the second highest bidder has to outbid only the third highest bidder.

Take this hypothetical example. Mr. A is willing to pay $100,000 for XYZ Funnies 1, Mr. B is willing to pay $90,000 and Mr. C is willing to pay $20,000. An auction would see Mr. A paying $95,000 for the comic. But if Mr. A then dies immediately, a new auction would see Mr. B having to pay "only" $22,000 for the comic.

:o

Isn't that the same point tth2 and I made? :baiting:

lol

It's more than just the 3rd bidder theory.

Once the books sold cheap the second time around it would have also spooked bidders into rethinking their bidding strategies.

Bidders wouldn`t have known that the books would sell cheap the second time around until they actually sold cheap the second time around. So how could it have affected their bidding strategies?

If and when the books came around for a third time, then yes, I could see that being the case. That certainly happened with the MH copy of National #7 (not a Keller book, but one of the best examples of this phenomenon that I can think of) that attracted a toxic glow after it came up over and over and for less and less each time.

If and when the books came around for a third time, then yes, I could see that being the case. That certainly happened with the MH copy of National #7 (not a Keller book, but one of the best examples of this phenomenon that I can think of) that attracted a toxic glow after it came up over and over and for less and less each time.

My bet is that this Church copy of National 7 would now sell at a huge profit to the owner, especially with the prices that classic covers are realizing in today's marketplace. And deservedly so, after being unfairly banished to the penalty box for all these long years. (thumbs u

Definitely one of Fine's better covers, from my point of view. :cloud9:

It's more than just the 3rd bidder theory.

Once the books sold cheap the second time around it would have also spooked bidders into rethinking their bidding strategies.

Bidders wouldn`t have known that the books would sell cheap the second time around until they actually sold cheap the second time around. So how could it have affected their bidding strategies?

Excellent point. I'm not sure what 'stream of consciousness' point I was aiming for. lol

I know there was one, though.

:sumo:

Marvel #1 Pay copy was another (which I did not realize Keller also owned).

I bet it never sells for $200K again. lol

Any chance that this copy is even going to hit the $60K mark? hm

No.

It certainly is a nice looking copy. The back cover is very white, although that could be the brightness of the scanner settings.

I had a brief moment of history with this book. It is truly one of the best preserved SA books I have ever seen. Here is an old pic of the Back cover with no brightness enhancements......

IMG_4276_1.jpg

Any chance that this copy is even going to hit the $60K mark? hm

No.

I guess this proves the truth of a couple of axioms:

1) When it comes to selling, it's always best to be first to market; and

2) When it comes to buying, patience is always a virtue.

hm

hm

The first is only semi-true, and the second is in the vast majority of cases not true at all. How has waiting on an AF 15, Action 1, etc. etc. worked out for everybody?

hm

The first is only semi-true, and the second is in the vast majority of cases not true at all. How has waiting on an AF 15, Action 1, etc. etc. worked out for everybody?

You are 100% right since I forgot to put in my qualifier. (thumbs u

Since we were talking about FF 52 in this thread here, I was actually referring to common books even in high grade, as opposed to true vintage HTF books in grade. hm

It certainly is a nice looking copy. The back cover is very white, although that could be the brightness of the scanner settings.

I had a brief moment of history with this book. It is truly one of the best preserved SA books I have ever seen. Here is an old pic of the Back cover with no brightness enhancements......

IMG_4276_1.jpg

That is a nice white back cover, indeed. How long did you own it, Bob?