• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

It certainly is a nice looking copy. The back cover is very white, although that could be the brightness of the scanner settings.

I had a brief moment of history with this book. It is truly one of the best preserved SA books I have ever seen. Here is an old pic of the Back cover with no brightness enhancements......

IMG_4276_1.jpg

That is a nice white back cover, indeed. How long did you own it, Bob?

Maybe a year and a half. I bought an undercopy and moved it along. I still have the FF53 from the same collection. http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=31830&GSub=2945

I still have the FF53 from the same collection. http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=31830&GSub=2945

That's another beauty. Must have been some collection.

I saw the books before right Bob bought them. They were unreal. It was just a small barch of books but they were perfectly preserved.

I still have the FF53 from the same collection. http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=31830&GSub=2945

I saw the books before right Bob bought them. They were unreal. It was just a small barch of books but they were perfectly preserved.

Yes, I don't know much about the history behind the collection but every book looked incredible. They were priced very aggressively, which is why they were still available when I saw them. Normally, I don't chase overpriced books but these rivaled any of the major SA peds so I felt justified. I remember showing one of the books to Mark Haspel, not in a professional capacity, just passing in the aisles. He made a comment along the lines of 'Silver Age books aren't supposed to look like this'.

I remember showing one of the books to Mark Haspel, not in a professional capacity, just passing in the aisles. He made a comment along the lines of 'Silver Age books aren't supposed to look like this'.

I love it when a grader is surprised. lol

I remember talking to Mark about GA Pedigrees and it was the Vancouver or the Toronto collection that turned up a few years ago and he basically said 'we thought we new what white pages looked like from grading the Church books and then these came along', meaning they were the whitest books they'd ever seen.

It's awesome when you find something like that because it's about as close to a time machine as we'll ever see.

Yes, I don't know much about the history behind the collection but every book looked incredible. They were priced very aggressively, which is why they were still available when I saw them. Normally, I don't chase overpriced books but these rivaled any of the major SA peds so I felt justified. I remember showing one of the books to Mark Haspel, not in a professional capacity, just passing in the aisles. He made a comment along the lines of 'Silver Age books aren't supposed to look like this'.

more details :wishluck:

more details :wishluck:

:sorry: No DC in the collection, just Marvels.

Defects never get ignored by graders. They are all factored into the grade. Sometimes just not as much as some people would like them to be.

And although reasons for the defect may vary, impacted staples are also not uncommon on some Marvel books from the mid 1960's. I can think of several specific issues that are often found with that defect.

Defects never get ignored by graders. They are all factored into the grade. Sometimes just not as much as some people would like them to be.

And although reasons for the defect may vary, impacted staples are also not uncommon on some Marvel books from the mid 1960's. I can think of several specific issues that are often found with that defect.

I was just going to ask if this was seen more often on this book than others. I think I've owned 5 copies at one point or another and all of them except 1 has had impacted staples. :shrug: