• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, Number 6 said:

That was my initial reaction, that it just Global Shipping Program 2.0. 

I had considered signing up for GSP a couple years ago based on favorable remarks from sellers here. 

But then I talked to an eBay rep and asked if I would have to pay for round-trip shipping on an International return and she said “yes”. So that scared me off that. 

But now with this program they’re promising “no cost returns” for the seller. So it’s piqued my interest again. 

Yeah, the first time I sold one actually, it was like a $20 book with $6 first class shipping, and I got a notification that "your buyer just paid $38.80" or something along those lines, and I thought there was a mistake. Turns out they just treated it on my end like a normal $20+$6 sale, and apparently the buyer pays eBay for the additional shipping cost. Since that first one, I never even notice them anymore except like I said, when I see the address and it's the clearing house eBay uses in Illinois. I assume they have them regionally?

On 5/4/2023 at 1:22 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I've sold 3-4 things now to international buyers through the program. Honestly, I never even realize it's an international buyer until I go to print the label and see the funky coding on the address. The process is exactly the same as any other sale, and I ship them to an address in Illinois - from there, eBay handles the rest.

Pretty sure eBay also charges you an additional 3-4% in currency fees to process these.

Edited by Tnexus

On 5/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, Tnexus said:

Pretty sure eBay also charges you an additional 3-4% in currency fees to process these.

I just took a look, and none of them had any additional fees aside from the final value fee and the promoted listing fee (I usually promote all of my listings).

On 5/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I just took a look, and none of them had any additional fees aside from the final value fee and the promoted listing fee (I usually promote all of my listings).

It's possible they changed it. They definitely took out the fees with the GSP.

Spotted this on ebay.com, but it didn't state international shipping, so I asked the seller if they would ship to the UK, not only did they say yes, they knocked $5 off the BIN price, so ended up paying £35 shipped to the UK, a bargain and the nicest copy I have seen.

hulk fireside.jpg

On 5/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, batmiesta said:

Spotted this on ebay.com, but it didn't state international shipping, so I asked the seller if they would ship to the UK, not only did they say yes, they knocked $5 off the BIN price, so ended up paying £35 shipped to the UK, a bargain and the nicest copy I have seen.

hulk fireside.jpg

Great pickup. I’ve always loved this book and have had multiple copies over the years as it was the first of the fireside tpbs that I owned as a kid and eventually fell apart from the many times I read it or just browsed the artwork over and over again.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:27 AM, B2D327 said:

Great pickup. I’ve always loved this book and have had multiple copies over the years as it was the first of the fireside tpbs that I owned as a kid and eventually fell apart from the many times I read it or just browsed the artwork over and over again.

Thanks, I have searched for a nice copy for years, but the black cover shows every little mark, this copy is a beauty.

On 5/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, batmiesta said:

hulk fireside.jpg

Wow! That's a beautiful copy and a great deal! (thumbsu

Hi everyone, Hoping I can get a little help on this.

I won a book on e bay last night. First time I bid on anything on that site in a short while. When I clicked on place bid, a box to place bid into pops up dead center of the page blocking the actual countdown timer, current price, ect. The box can't be moved with the mouse so you can't see any of the necessary info.

Only thing, the countdown timer in this box which you need to enter your bid is about 15 seconds ahead of the actual real time of the auction.

I believe this cost me about 400 dollars last night as 5 more bids were able to register after I bid, which I thought was in the last 5 seconds of the auction when in reality there was about 20 seconds left.

I just tested it on 2 different browsers on auctions I'm not bidding on and it's the same. Also when I click place bid and the new place bid box pops up dead center blocking the accurate timer, if you let that box run down to Zero it refreshes the page, giving you just seconds to click place bid again, wait a second for the new box to pop up and type your bid amount then enter it. 

Last I remember I always would type my max bid in the original auction page, wait for the timer to get to about 8 seconds left then click enter and hope for the best. Simple. Effective.

Could any of you test this out for me and see if it's the same on your browser please? You don't have to enter a bid just see if the same thing happens like I explained. I tried Opera and Chrome, the same stuff happens on both. I doubt it is a browser problem but maybe there is a browser that still does it the old way. 

Thank you

Edited by Professor K

I figured out the problem. I do suggest you should all check this out.

My computer was 14.9 seconds off according to this neat website https://time.is/

So I believe what happens is that the auction page shows the exact time to the second, but when you click "place bid" that timer is showing the time of your computer. I adjusted my pc to be 0.9 seconds ahead, closest I could get it after a few tries. Now the pop up box time and the auction page time are in synch. 

On 5/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, Professor K said:

I figured out the problem. I do suggest you should all check this out.

My computer was 14.9 seconds off according to this neat website https://time.is/

So I believe what happens is that the auction page shows the exact time to the second, but when you click "place bid" that timer is showing the time of your computer. I adjusted my pc to be 0.9 seconds ahead, closest I could get it after a few tries. Now the pop up box time and the auction page time are in synch. 

Wow, 15 seconds is quite the difference, at least when it comes to last second bidding. Checked my PC and it's almost spot-on :)

image.png.744b718cf571d4056d1c2695efc20980.png

I would suggest using a sniping service. Set your maximum bid to be placed 3-5 seconds before the auction ends. If the hammer price goes higher than what you were willing to pay, then it wasn't meant to be and you'll find another copy.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:25 PM, IcedDog said:

Wow, 15 seconds is quite the difference, at least when it comes to last second bidding. Checked my PC and it's almost spot-on :)

image.png.744b718cf571d4056d1c2695efc20980.png

I thought mine was too. I figured it was just automatic on windows. I did find a discussion about the problem on the innernet and a lot of people said they had the same problem so either it is  real thing or all of their computer clock aren't set right. 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

I would suggest using a sniping service. Set your maximum bid to be placed 3-5 seconds before the auction ends. If the hammer price goes higher than what you were willing to pay, then it wasn't meant to be and you'll find another copy.

That's good advice but if I did that I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror ever again. And it's already hard enough as it is.:roflmao:

FYI -

eBay automatically enrolled me in International Shipping today and I had to manually opt out.

I am already setup to not sell internationally so I don't see how I would want to / need to ship internationally...but I opted out just in case b/c eBay does some shady stuff.

You should review your settings just in case.

image.thumb.png.be53b331a29c05c6df1b3f76fc2dae7c.png

Edited by manetteska

I think I must've screwed something up. Used to be, nearly every listing I looked at, I would hover my cursor over the picture and it would show a closeup of the product. I doesn't do that anymore. Did I screw something up, or did Ebay change something?

Question for the savvy and experienced eBay sellers:

Can you print, through eBay, a USPS First Class label with tracking for a standard envelope? I know you can for a Manila envelope, obviously, but I’m not sure about standard. This isn’t comic related, but for stuff that can be shipped in an envelope that might be 1-2 ounces. 

On 6/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, electricprune said:

Question for the savvy and experienced eBay sellers:

Can you print, through eBay, a USPS First Class label with tracking for a standard envelope? I know you can for a Manila envelope, obviously, but I’m not sure about standard. This isn’t comic related, but for stuff that can be shipped in an envelope that might be 1-2 ounces. 

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot. I recently had to mail some small, flat items and couldn't find the means to print a label like that either on ebay or Pirate Ship. I just went with the manilla envelope.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:54 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot. I recently had to mail some small, flat items and couldn't find the means to print a label like that either on ebay or Pirate Ship. I just went with the manilla envelope.

Thanks, DP. I’ve looked and looked myself and have never found anything either. I sell cigar bands that can easily ship in an envelope with a stamp, but out of a couple thousand items I’ve sold on eBay, the two that “weren’t delivered” were stamped envelopes with no tracking.

What you are looking for is called "eBay standard envelope".  I don't know if it is available for what you are selling but it is available for trading cards.  Note that it doesn't work like package tracking  but uses the limited tracking system they use for regular mail that "informs" your informed delivery notifications from USPS if you use that.