• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Isn't it crazy this isn't even a debatable topic?

You just assume WB will find a way to trip itself up. Even if a film or TV show is a success despite WB tampering or missteps.

I'm wondering how Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't get ruined by WB. Not that they don't have issues (primarily the whirlwind of CGI 3rd Acts), but they didn't seem to suffer from the studio's wrath.

I'm guessing that SHAZAM was spared since it wasn't closely-tied to the others.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm wondering how Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't get ruined by WB. Not that they don't have issues (primarily the whirlwind of CGI 3rd Acts), but they didn't seem to suffer from the studio's wrath.

I'm guessing that SHAZAM was spared since it wasn't closely-tied to the others.

New_Line_Cinema_logo.thumb.png.349622fd42ad7f65f148eaf1e69737fb.png

Same sub-studio of WB producing Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods

On 1/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Isn't it crazy this isn't even a debatable topic?

You just assume WB will find a way to trip itself up. Even if a film or TV show is a success despite WB tampering or missteps.

I'm still amazed they didn't ruin Dune.

The Flash Movie To Get Tie-In Comic From DC

the-flash-the-fastest-man-alive-1-main-cover.thumb.jpg.a0fb04a034f31da37a20694f5dda3e47.jpg

To get fans hyped for the Scarlet Speedster's first solo film, DC Comics has a massive surprise in store — an official tie-in comic. On Thursday, the publisher announced The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, a comic prelude for the upcoming film. The three-issue monthly series, which begins publishing in April and concludes in July, will lead up to The Flash, with the entire series being collected in a trade paperback in October.

The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive will be written by Kenny Porter, with art from Ricardo López Ortiz, Juan Ferreyra, and Jason Howard across the three issues. The first issue will feature a main cover from Max Fiumara with a variant cover from The Flash's director, Andy Muschietti.

WB Studios is so confusing as they are trying to force the 2017 Justice League to be canon. Yet elements from Zack Snyder's Justice League like finally including Iris West or hints that Martian Manhunter will be in the film as well.

But that's the thing.

The 2017 Justice League movie *is* canon.

Extended editions released on streaming - or on DVD only *don't count* because the audience is definitionally different (and nearly always far smaller) than the audience that went to see the theatrical versions.

Theatrical versions are canon. Full stop.

See:

• Justice League: Dawn of Justice
  • BvS
  • Suicide Squad
  • Daredevil
  • Superman 2
  • Even Aliens and Blade Runner

This is, of course, really problematic with Iron Man 3

Because Marvel's retroactively tried to make Hail to the King as canonical, even though it directly contradicts Iron Man 3.

But including it as a DVD extra and as a short on Disney+ = not on the same level as the number of people who went to see Iron Man 3 theatrically, let alone those who have subsequently watched the film on DVD or streaming, without also watching the short.

I also choose to live in a world where the 1997 Star Wars Special Editions don't exist.

Han shot first, *spoon*.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, Gatsby77 said:

But that's the thing.

The 2017 Justice League movie *is* canon.

Extended editions released on streaming - or on DVD only *don't count* because the audience is definitionally different (and nearly always far smaller) than the audience that went to see the theatrical versions.

Spoiler

Theatrical versions are canon. Full stop.

See:

• Justice League: Dawn of Justice
  • BvS
  • Suicide Squad
  • Daredevil
  • Superman 2
  • Even Aliens and Blade Runner

This is, of course, really problematic with Iron Man 3

Because Marvel's retroactively tried to make Hail to the King as canonical, even though it directly contradicts Iron Man 3.

But including it as a DVD extra and as a short on Disney+ = not on the same level as the number of people who went to see Iron Man 3 theatrically, let alone those who have subsequently watched the film on DVD or streaming, without also watching the short.

I also choose to live in a world where the 1997 Star Wars Special Editions don't exist.

Han shot first, *spoon*.

The thinking would be accurate if Zack Snyder's Justice League was truly a Director's Cut released to Home Theater sales only on disc and digital. It came out instead initially on HBO Max, and was viewed by millions of subscribers.

So it's not the same scenario. And if you watched the video before responding, you would have noted how Patty Jenkins and James Wan in interviews noted they dismissed the 2017 movie so as not to disrupt the path Zack Snyder was following while applying their own designs and directions (which Zack Snyder always supported publicly).

Patty Jenkins Has Blunt Reasons For Not Liking Joss Whedon's Justice League

Patty Jenkins recently stopped by ReelBlend to talk about Wonder Woman 1984, and during the conversation, CinemaBlend’s own Sean O’Connell asked the filmmaker if she watched the theatrical cut of Justice League to see how Gal Gadot’s Diana Prince was handled. Jenkins responded with the following:

"The Justice League? … No, I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did. But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on. So then, what are you going to do? I was like… you would have to play ball in both directions in order for that to work. The only thing I have done, and have always tried to do, is -- I knew, when Zack was doing Justice League, where she sort of ends up. So I always tried… like, I didn’t change her suit, because I never want to… I don’t want to contradict his films, you know? But yet, I have to have my own films, and he’s been very supportive of that. And so, I think that that Justice League was kind of an outlier. They were trying to turn one thing into, kind of, another. And so then it becomes, ‘I don’t recognize half of these characters. I’m not sure what’s going on.’ "

On 1/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

The thinking would be accurate if Zack Snyder's Justice League was truly a Director's Cut released to Home Theater sales only on disc and digital. It came out instead initially on HBO Max, and was viewed by millions of subscribers.

So it's not the same scenario. And if you watched the video before responding, you would have noted how Patty Jenkins and James Wan in interviews noted they dismissed the 2017 movie so as not to disrupt the path Zack Snyder was following while applying their own designs and directions (which Zack Snyder always supported publicly).

Per Samba, ~3.7 million US households watched the Snyder cut in its first 39 days of release.

Per BoxOfficeMojo, ~25.5 million North American people watched Justice League during its theatrical run.

Even noting that

1) "households" isn't the same as "people" and that

2) "domestic theatrical" includes Canada, which I don't believe is included in Samba's U.S. numbers

Let's be generous and say that a) "household" averages 2 people and b) 3x as many households have now watched the Snyder cut as did in its first 39 days.

More people ("domestically") still watched the theatrical version.

More to the point, just because filmmakers (and studios) later disavow theatrical versions and stand by later director's cuts, doesn't make it so for the vast majority of viewers.

Again, Han shot first, regardless of what George Lucas decided years later.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Per Samba, ~3.7 million US households watched the Snyder cut in its first 39 days of release.

Per BoxOfficeMojo, ~25.5 million North American people watched Justice League during its theatrical run.

Spoiler

Even noting that

1) "households" isn't the same as "people" and that

2) "domestic theatrical" includes Canada, which I don't believe is included in Samba's U.S. numbers

Let's be generous and say that a) "household" averages 2 people and b) 3x as many households have now watched the Snyder cut as did in its first 39 days.

More people ("domestically") still watched the theatrical version.

More to the point, just because filmmakers (and studios) later disavow theatrical versions and stand by later director's cuts, doesn't make it so for the vast majority of viewers.

Again, Han shot first, regardless of what George Lucas decided years later.

I'm sure this meant something to you. Even a little. But meanwhile the comparisons made no sense. But hurrah for you!

:baiting:

:roflmao:

Meanwhile, even the DCEU directors dismiss the 2017 film. Only the studio is the one forcing the narrative.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, even the DCEU directors dismiss the 2017 film. Only the studio is the one forcing the narrative.

True, but as much as I want the Josstice League to not be cannon, isn't it really the studio that decide which movies are cannon that it releases?  Now that doesn't mean that we the fans have to "accept it", but if WB says Josstice League is cannon then it really doesn't matter what anyone else says.  

As was pointed out earlier, for as long as I am alive "Han shot first", will always be cannon to me.  However Lucas Film then said, "Yeah no, Greedo shot first.", in 1997 special edition.  

Guess what I am basically saying is that the people that own the rights get to decide what cannon is, whether we agree with it or not.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, media_junkie said:

True, but as much as I want the Josstice League to not be cannon, isn't it really the studio that decide which movies are cannon that it releases?  Now that doesn't mean that we the fans have to "accept it", but if WB says Josstice League is cannon then it really doesn't matter what anyone else says.  

As was pointed out earlier, for as long as I am alive "Han shot first", will always be cannon to me.  However Lucas Film then said, "Yeah no, Greedo shot first.", in 1997 special edition.  

Guess what I am basically saying is that the people that own the rights get to decide what cannon is, whether we agree with it or not.

There is no debate the studio owning an overall franchise sets the tone for what it WANTS to be canon.

But if Patty Jenkins and James Wan (some of the key moneymaker directors for WB/DC) clearly stating 2017 Josstice League was such even they dismissed it, that is a strong statement to make. So that is hard to ignore as well.

"The Justice League? … No, I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did. But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on."

Not to pull a realsilvermarketeer.by blowing that up. But are we seeing any Marvel directors rebelling against the release of a franchise film, and working around its influence on their films?

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/23/2022 at 2:10 PM, drotto said:

Is anyone still really, honestly interested in this film?  I liked the Snyder Cut, I still do not understand the casting for Flash.

It is hard to say as all we saw was the tiniest of teasers.

But with all the rumor drops for clout as if they all have access to the scripts and director, I can see why folks are confused.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:10 PM, drotto said:

Is anyone still really, honestly interested in this film?  I liked the Snyder Cut, I still do not understand the casting for Flash.

Somewhat. ZSJL really did Ezra Miller's Flash justice. I want to see what the future holds. Keaton's return means very little to me.