• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

So what are we chalking up the 1K ASM 700 9.8 SS to?

That's a regular Stan Lee SS copy.

-J.

So we're saying that because the book was signed on Stan's 90th birthday it gets a 150% or $1500 boost in value?

That's the only one well over $1k and it has consistent sales.

There's plenty of historical data for that variant on GPA.

And again, this update is based on the most recent sales. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes, plenty of sales for the 90th book. It's not consistent for the other SS books. Your writeup concludes that the book in general is getting those values.

The picture I used was of the 90th variant of the book. The book was strong by other metrics as well, not just for the 90th version, that I also mentioned in the write up. Again I said, I consider "all" label types for the books, with the most weight given to 9.8 sales. Hence why it easily makes the list. (thumbs u

-J.

So what are we chalking up the 1K ASM 700 9.8 SS to?

That's a regular Stan Lee SS copy.

-J.

So we're saying that because the book was signed on Stan's 90th birthday it gets a 150% or $1500 boost in value?

That's the only one well over $1k and it has consistent sales.

There's plenty of historical data for that variant on GPA.

And again, this update is based on the most recent sales. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes, plenty of sales for the 90th book. It's not consistent for the other SS books. Your writeup concludes that the book in general is getting those values.

The picture I used was of the 90th variant of the book. The book was strong by other metrics as well, not just for the 90th version, that I also mentioned in the write up. Again I said, I consider "all" label types for the books, with the most weight given to 9.8 sales. Hence why it easily makes the list. (thumbs u

-J.

So are we now classifying specific SS issues as a "variant" of the variant?

-J.

The 90th is the only one that is going over $1k though. You have the sales of over $2k as why the book itself is on the list.

Yeah, to me, this is a special case where the birthday edition is the desirable one worth considerably more due to how limited it is. Almost like a "from the collection of..." designation.

I've seen a few of this 'signed on special date' books - this is people selling a commodity trying to differentiate their product. I don't know if it'll work long term, but they're good marketers.

Had an opportunity to buy a 90th birthday extravaganza SS but passed 'cause a sig is a sig is a sig and couldn't justify paying extra for a b-day sig. Not worth it to me, although this is about the only book I'd buy as an SS.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

-J.

The 90th is the only one that is going over $1k though. You have the sales of over $2k as why the book itself is on the list.

"All Label Types in a 9.8"

The 90th version raises the averages, but it would have made the list anyway without it (a blue label also just sold mid January '17 for $1218). (thumbs u

-J.

In this case though, wasn't the book made for his 90th birthday and debuted at the party? At least thats what I thought was the reason for why its "special" and why those signed at the party were worth more. I agree that long-term, that might not really help it keep value.

So a 9.8 Dirt #1 can sell for $50 but if as SS Joe Blow day the Titanic Sunk sells for $2,500 you have an average of $1,275. Good system.

That isn't quite right. Not an apples to apples.

Is it?

Ditko Variant 9.8 - 12 month:

Universal - $875

SS- $1,013 - 1,150 depending on sigs

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

So a 9.8 Dirt #1 can sell for $50 but if as SS Joe Blow day the Titanic Sunk sells for $2,500 you have an average of $1,275. Good system.

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

All I'm saying is Stan Lee is not Joe Blow.

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

...and you're not going to get an SS from the day the Titanic sank.

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

...and you're not going to get an SS from the day the Titanic sank.

... so it was a bad comparison? Or I don't understand what you're trying to say :shrug:

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

1) This list isn't based on "12 Month Averages".

2) While the 90th may be a "variant" of the variant, it's no different than including "sketch" versions of variants of books.

3) The book would have made the list anyway, based on the totality of strength of sales from the most recent period of review. The book heated up again. It's just that simple.

-J.

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

2) While the 90th may be a "variant" of the variant, it's no different than including "sketch" versions of variants of books.

3) The book would have made the list anyway, based on the totality of strength of sales from the most recent period of review. The book heated up again. It's just that simple.

-J.

Well... that opens a good question... what is the criteria for making the list? At least one sale has to take place over a certain number? No real criteria other than that, and that the book be a modern variant?

#8- Amazing Spider-Man #700, Ditko (2013)- Guess who's back.. back again. Ditko's back. Tell a friend. In a remarkable reversal, this 1:200 book makes the biggest leap this time around, from not being on the list at all, to #8! A pair of 9.8's selling between $2500-$2800, strong 9.6 sales, and a raw copy going for over $900 is what's to thank. By the looks of things it seems these are drying up on ebay and into personal collections, causing a resurgence in realized prices.

A pair of SS 90th variants of the variant sold for that.

12 month Universal is $875. That's a $2,000 spread

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

-J.

Well... that opens a good question... what is the criteria for making the list? At least one sale has to take place over a certain number? No real criteria other than that, and that the book be a modern variant?

Pretty much. Time period between lists TBD.

Is it?

Universal - $875

SS 90 BDay - $2,504

-J.

But not too modern. I think jdogrules mentioned the book needing to be at least 2-3 years old.

From the first post, glad he provided this.

1) Book must be at least three years old. No newly released "hot" variants were used, as we all know, the vast majority of them do not hold value. The books used need to have shown some kind of staying power;

2) No recalled/error books were used. Those are not "variants" as intended by the publishers;

3) First prints only;

4) Blank covers and/or sketched books were not considered.