• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,681 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 9:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

So I built it... hm... I am going to watch Rick and Morty and come back with my review of this.   I have a lot of conflicting thoughts on this set. 

200w-1.gif.30f7d44d6fbce6e9521cbc46316efb37.gif

On 8/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, Buzzetta said:

Okay so here we go... 

I think I should give it two reviews with one being how it stacks up as a Lego set on its own.  The other review with how it stacks up as the newest incarnation of Slave-1. 

I am curious to see what @Brandon Shepherd thinks as I know he has this set as well. 

As a Lego set 

I am impressed.  This was a far more complicated build than I would have thought given the size. However, there are a LOT of smaller parts and the placement and insertion of segments of the build is unusual given previous experience. For example when you build the cockpit area they sort of tuck in and then connect to the frame.  There is a decent amount of SNOT (studs not on top) technique that is created which is normally seen in the more advanced sets.  As a lego set it packs a lot in given the small space.  

The cockpit is a bit awkward in that it is designed for the minifig to face forward or to face 'up'. There are studs available to do both.   

I liked the build and effectiveness of the design.  

The cart / stand was a bit unnecessary and serves as a better stand for the vessel than a vehicle in its own right.

The minifigures are outstanding.  We get the post-ROTJ Boba Fett everyone has been waiting for.  The costume is spot on.  The beskar armor is also a welcome change from previous Mando pack ins.   I did not bother with a helmet off Mando since they still gave him a black piece as a head beneath the helmet which is strange given that we know what he looked like by the end of Season 1. 

As a Lego set I liked it but it is definitely NOT worth $50.  If you can get this for the $38 I paid at Costco then go ahead as the Fett minifig alone seems to command a $25 price tag. 

As the latest incarnation of Slave 1 and the future of Lego SW sets. 

I will come out and say it.  I am not a fan.  The ship is half the size of the previous model.  I understand that Lego is downsizing in an effort to keep sets like these accessible to the parents and kids.  I get that.  The problem is that the ship looks a bit too undersized for minifig scale and crosses the border into something that could almost be considered 'chibi' design.  The minifigure looks too big for the set at times.

Consider this.  A proper sized Millennium Falcon would seat four in the front cockpit.  We see that in the UCS sets.  The system scale sets which is what minifig scale is seats only two figures in the cockpit.  At the scale that Lego is producing the newest sets, I fear that the next falcon will be smaller in nature and only be capable of seating Han OR Chewbacca which is not a good look.   They look awkward at this scale and I almost feel as if it is a step back.  

As you can see I took photos compared to the previous Slave 1 which had retailed for $110 or $115 (I forget).   The bigger set is not only easier to put together on the fingers but has room for customization.  If you can get a used copy or a copy without the minifigures you might be better off spending the money there. 

If you are looking for a Slave 1 for the kiddies then this is the way to go.  The problem though is that where does Lego go from here with pricing. Is it going to be these smaller Chibi style sets at the lower price point and the $250-$300 larger UCS sets as an adult alternative?  The $100 price point was a nice compromise to be honest. 

I have put back into storage a few Star Wars sets that I was thinking of letting go of because future iterations will not live up to some of the past releases.  

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5341.jpeg

IMG_5342.jpeg

IMG_5343.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg

IMG_5345.jpeg

Thank you for your detailed review and comparison! I was hesitant at first, honestly I bought it for the mini figures. I really wanted the new Boba Fett and I was also in a good spot for the new Mando printing as I passed in the Encounter on Tatooine set and will most likely pass on the new Light Cruiser, so I won’t have multiples of the new Mando printing.

I find the new Slave I to be charming and I really like that it comes with a display stand. I like the 20th Anniversary Slave 1 much better of course. My only gripe about the new Fett mini figure is that the helmet coloring doesn’t match the chest piece printing.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:03 AM, Buzzetta said:

As the latest incarnation of Slave 1 and the future of Lego SW sets. 

I will come out and say it.  I am not a fan.  The ship is half the size of the previous model.  I understand that Lego is downsizing in an effort to keep sets like these accessible to the parents and kids.  I get that.  The problem is that the ship looks a bit too undersized for minifig scale and crosses the border into something that could almost be considered 'chibi' design.  The minifigure looks too big for the set at times.

Consider this.  A proper sized Millennium Falcon would seat four in the front cockpit.  We see that in the UCS sets.  The system scale sets which is what minifig scale is seats only two figures in the cockpit.  At the scale that Lego is producing the newest sets, I fear that the next falcon will be smaller in nature and only be capable of seating Han OR Chewbacca which is not a good look.   They look awkward at this scale and I almost feel as if it is a step back.  

As you can see I took photos compared to the previous Slave 1 which had retailed for $110 or $115 (I forget).   The bigger set is not only easier to put together on the fingers but has room for customization.  If you can get a used copy or a copy without the minifigures you might be better off spending the money there. 

If you are looking for a Slave 1 for the kiddies then this is the way to go.  The problem though is that where does Lego go from here with pricing. Is it going to be these smaller Chibi style sets at the lower price point and the $250-$300 larger UCS sets as an adult alternative?  The $100 price point was a nice compromise to be honest. 

I have put back into storage a few Star Wars sets that I was thinking of letting go of because future iterations will not live up to some of the past releases.  

Thanks for the writeup Buzz. It is a weird fence straddling set. Size-wise, it's a "kid" set, but as you mentioned the construction methods are more mature than you usually find in kid sets. The price point says "kid", but are they intending this as their mainstream Slave 1? Cause it's a definate step down from the 751243 20th Anniversary Slave-1 which was twice the price, but worth it for better scale and features. 

Wonder if they're seeing adult purchases lean toward the highest end sets (the $200-400 sets), and "mid-tier" sets that are around $100 are getting less interest, so they're "downgrading" those type sets to the more reasonable "pick up a set at Target" crowd who will impulse buy a $50 set...

On 8/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, miraclemet said:

Thanks for the writeup Buzz. It is a weird fence straddling set. Size-wise, it's a "kid" set, but as you mentioned the construction methods are more mature than you usually find in kid sets. The price point says "kid", but are they intending this as their mainstream Slave 1? Cause it's a definate step down from the 751243 20th Anniversary Slave-1 which was twice the price, but worth it for better scale and features. 

Wonder if they're seeing adult purchases lean toward the highest end sets (the $200-400 sets), and "mid-tier" sets that are around $100 are getting less interest, so they're "downgrading" those type sets to the more reasonable "pick up a set at Target" crowd who will impulse buy a $50 set...

My thoughts exactly. 

One of the sets I was thinking of letting go was the B-Wing.  I was debating letting it go with the thought process that one has not been released since 2014. I figured we are due for a serious upgrade.  However, after seeing this year's X-Wing and Tie Fighter along with the Mando Slave 1... I am going to hold onto it.   Have you seen the new shuttle?  The new shuttle is just 'tiny' compared to what was recently released.   Again, it is half the size. 

image.thumb.png.0c8d7c3916ee36ab3c3590fce00c1795.png

image.png.5e25ba3f195b173acd82674a4e3efde9.png

On 8/9/2021 at 8:40 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Thank you for your detailed review and comparison! I was hesitant at first, honestly I bought it for the mini figures. I really wanted the new Boba Fett and I was also in a good spot for the new Mando printing as I passed in the Encounter on Tatooine set and will most likely pass on the new Light Cruiser, so I won’t have multiples of the new Mando printing.

I find the new Slave I to be charming and I really like that it comes with a display stand. I like the 20th Anniversary Slave 1 much better of course. My only gripe about the new Fett mini figure is that the helmet coloring doesn’t match the chest piece printing.

I might buy that Fennec Shand on the aftermarket.  Although there is the possibility that we will get her in one of the (most likely) Book of Boba Fett sets.  The light cruiser should be around by the time those Boba Fett sets are revealed so a decision can be made. 

Pics of the FF Retro Wave are up. We get the whole team, plus Pulse exclusive Invisible Sue and Powered Down Johnny (not happy about this), plus Psycho Man and The High Evolutionary. 

@Bosco685

For the Star Trek fans. 

Drops September 8th for $500

Details and Specs here - There is a USB connection for added play features to augment the experience. 

Playmobil Enterprise

https://www.playmobil.us/star-trek---u.s.s.-enterprise-ncc-1701/70548.html

image.thumb.png.75f96b9343c7292aba37eff0260c8d67.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, Buzzetta said:

@Bosco685

For the Star Trek fans. 

Drops September 8th for $500

Details and Specs here - There is a USB connection for added play features to augment the experience. 

Playmobil Enterprise

https://www.playmobil.us/star-trek---u.s.s.-enterprise-ncc-1701/70548.html

image.thumb.png.75f96b9343c7292aba37eff0260c8d67.png

That looks awesome, but at $500, I have to pass.

Star Trek is leaving lots of licensing money on the table not getting a deal in place with Lego. 

Imagine... there'd be more versions of the Enterprise than the Falcon....

Reactor room playsets....  Enterprise bridge playsets....

Klingon Bird of Prey!

How has this not happened @Buzzetta?!?!?!?

Edited by miraclemet

On 8/10/2021 at 1:09 PM, miraclemet said:

Star Trek is leaving lots of licensing money on the table not getting a deal in place with Lego. 

Imagine... there'd be more versions of the Enterprise than the Falcon....

Reactor room playsets....  Enterprise bridge playsets....

Klingon Bird of Prey!

How has this not happened @Buzzetta?!?!?!?

When the license was up for grabs Kre-O (Hasbro) and Mega Blocks were able to secure it.  Personally, Star Trek is more vanilla of a license for Lego than Star Wars is.  Lego has an internal doctrine of not providing for their toys to model any real world conflict or military vehicles.   Exceptions have been made when it came to the Wild West or Middle Ages / Castle as those are depictions of historical conflict.   Classic Space and Blacktron / Futron were classified as Sci-Fi.   Star Wars is a licensed property but again, sci fi make believe violence. 

Star Trek should be permissible.  The problem is whether or not Paramount wants to grant Lego the license or they can come to terms. 

I know that there have been a few Lego Ideas proposals over the years that were instantly rejected by Lego due to licensing issues. 

I want to say 'eventually' on this but people have been asking Lego for almost a decade and Lego just shakes its head. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Thanks to a friend I secured the 2 Fantastic Four Pulse exclusives - Powered Down Johnny and Invisible Sue. Bbts has preorders up for the rest, so I've got my order in for the rest of the set there, with an extra set of the base 4 to display on their Retro cards under the originals from 1994. Again, would have been nice to get a singlet Thing in this wave, but surely they've got to do it eventually..... right?! 

Hope others got as lucky as I did. 

The non-invisible Sue has the worst face I've seen Hasbro do in many, many years.  Her lower jaw looks like she's jutting it out doing a Jim Carrey impression, and her cheeks look swollen like she's just scarfed a whole bottle of Planter's but has a nut allergy.  :fear:

The good thing about the invisible version is you can't see the terrible face sculpt.  :shy:

F0350_PROD_MVL_F4_VINTAGE2_0008_Online_2

Yeah, I'm not crazy on her face or hair sculpt. I may just swap it with one of my other Invisible Women from the past I liked, like the 2-pack version with the McNiven head sculpt. 

On 8/31/2018 at 3:58 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

DeMartino also attempted to auction off fake prototypes. He assembles unused flats and gave the strong impression that you were buying an actual preproduction complete ROTJ X-Wing (I think it was an X-Wing, it may have been an ATST, this was many years ago). The Kenner Employee who sold DeMartino the flat protested, and was ignored until he started a public thread on it. Incredibly shady, and since that incident I'd never trust DeMartino whatsoever. 

It's been at least a month or two, but I revisited this thread, and wanted to update this thread saying he attempted to sell them again in a Facebook group.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:24 AM, comicwiz said:

It's been at least a month or two, but I revisited this thread, and wanted to update this thread saying he attempted to sell them again in a Facebook group.

What you've quoted from me, the preprod flats with production interiors? If so, and he's doing it again that's unbelievably trashy, but not completely unexpected, given what I remember from it all the first time round. 

Did he ever finish that book from like 2005 or so? 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 8/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

What you've quoted from me, the preprod flats with production interiors? If so, and he's doing it again that's unbelievably trashy, but not completely unexpected, given what I remember from it all the first time round. 

Did he ever finish that book from like 2005 or so? 

No book. Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.40a7f11a6a68153f73c3d68a99ade63e.png

Edited by comicwiz

Yes, that's it! I remember it now! It wasn't either an X-Wing or an ATST, it was both! And Tom Neheisel (sp?) was being taunted by Todd over it, who kept ignoring his polite requests to take it down. I don't think I remembered that stuff last time. 

And no book after something like 15 years. 'Preorder early and save from a higher retail price'. Haha yeah people must be glad they went with that option.