• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,376 posts in this topic

Cannot sleep.  Getting up in an hour anyway to watch Loki.

Despite me paring down collections, this thread is a bad influence.  @Brandon Shepherd is a bad influence.

I hate you all.

(nah, I just say that to cast the blame to someone else.)

Double Points it is... 

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 1.28.12 AM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, F For Fake said:

My Pile of Loot from BBTS showed up this week, and I think I’m now pretty much caught up on my cast of the 86 movie. Also got a couple of additions to my Lost Light crew. (No idea how/why BBTS is still getting shipments of Thrilling 30 stuff, but I’m not complaining, as the prices are better than eBay).

Great pickups.  I remember grabbing a bunch of those thrilling 30 bots when they originally transitioned to store discount shelves.

Oh, and after two decades of using glass display cases I've decided I really don't like clear glass shelving very much.  Opaque shelving means when you're looking at one display on one shelf you're not distracted by the displays on the shelf above or below it as much, whereas if it's clear the other shelves just visually clutter the shelf you're looking at.  This is particularly problematic if you're photographing a display, so unless you take the photo at the exact level of the shelf then the other display visually clutters the picture, too.

For comic displays there's one other nice thing about opaque shelves--they frame the scene in a way that's directly reminiscent of comic panels.  That's why for comic displays I really love black shelving best, because black lines is the most common framing for comic panels.  If you look at the Billy bookshelf picture from my previous post you can see that the black borders around the figure are directly reminiscent of comic panels.

You don't even necessarily need glass doors on bookshelves, but aside from looking really nice they provide one main functional advantage--they keep dust off of the interior.  Dust still gets in but at a FAR lower rate.  I usually end up having to dust the interior of glass display cases once a decade, sometimes even less often than that.

Just to talk technical with Ikea Billy shelves versus Detolf--they're taller than Detolfs and can get even taller (up to 8 feet, I think) if you buy the extra shelf extension Ikea sells for Billy, plus they're MUCH wider so there's tons more room to put stuff on the shelves.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Cannot sleep.  Getting up in an hour anyway to watch Loki.

Despite me paring down collections, this thread is a bad influence.  @Brandon Shepherd is a bad influence.

I hate you all.

(nah, I just say that to cast the blame to someone else.)

Double Points it is... 

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 1.28.12 AM.png

I sold my Adidas freebie on eBay for $26!

3 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

I sold my Adidas freebie on eBay for $26!

I am debating the pickup truck that I would actually keep in the living room on display but that depends on whether or not I find some Star Wars sets that I want to sell to justify more Lego. lol 

No, I am not selling the Ghost or either Phantom. 

BTW... did you see the Lego interview that has been making the rounds.  Look for smaller sized sets.   Lego realizes that their product is getting expensive and inaccessible for kids.  In a recent interview they said that they are trying to scale down this years assortment to have the same features and details but at a lower price point.  That's why the X-Wing is smaller than the previous but went from $90 to $50.

People are complaining about the newest Slave-1 being called Boba Fett's ship.  They should be complaining about how small it is. lol   For a Mandalorian version of Slave-1 when it was rumored I was sincerely hoping for a slightly larger model than the previous anniversary edition with a multiple person cockpit as well as seats for a rotating interior.

Now it looks like things are going to get even smaller.  They are using the 1999 2 x 4 brick as a carbonite slab in the latest model rather than the molded one due to the size.  It's awkward. 

I want... 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/pickup-truck-10290

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Since you guys are talking about display rooms thought I'd share something I found last year--I don't think the Detolf is Ikea's best display piece, I think it's their Billy bookshelf with glass doors installed.  It's FAR more space efficient and maximizes space used.  The advantage of the Detolf is that you can view it from the sides and back, and ideally you'd place a Detolf either completely away from walls in the middle of floor space, or at minimum you'd place it with nothing on either side of it for several feet to facilitate viewing from the sides.  I see people with 3, 4, or even 5+ Detolfs all lined up next to each other a LOT, and that really kills the purpose of a Detolf; those collectors would almost always be better served by Billy shelves with doors because they're not getting much use out of the side or back glass.  You can also get glass shelves for Billy shelves if you like the look of clear shelving.

Below is an example of multiple Ikea Billy shelves with glass doors.  This guy is using standard black shelves, but the shelves could be clear if he wanted.  The amount of display space this affords is FAR greater than any equivalent Detolfs.

AM-JKLVj2CyVxmtP4iRsq6bg89nshBjME4d0gE9r

I used the Billy book cases with glass doors in my display room ..... love the fact that I don't have to dust anything anymore. That alone is worth the price of admission lol.

The Bertby is the one I have always wanted personally but they quit making them and didn't want to go custom:

bertby.jpeg

Edited by 707comics

3 minutes ago, 707comics said:

I used the Billy book cases with glass doors in my display room ..... love the fact that I don't have to dust anything anymore. That alone is worth the price of admission lol.

The Bertby is the one I have always wanted personally but they quit making them and didn't want to go custom:

bertby.jpeg

ah man! If I had wall space I'd do that too! My comic room has windows the size of the whole wall lol the rest of the house is off limits per se

so I love it when people post here, saves me a trip to Home Depot and easier to ask questions.....

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Now YOU are the bad influence!

ETA next Wednesday.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am debating the pickup truck that I would actually keep in the living room on display but that depends on whether or not I find some Star Wars sets that I want to sell to justify more Lego. lol 

No, I am not selling the Ghost or either Phantom. 

BTW... did you see the Lego interview that has been making the rounds.  Look for smaller sized sets.   Lego realizes that their product is getting expensive and inaccessible for kids.  In a recent interview they said that they are trying to scale down this years assortment to have the same features and details but at a lower price point.  That's why the X-Wing is smaller than the previous but went from $90 to $50.

People are complaining about the newest Slave-1 being called Boba Fett's ship.  They should be complaining about how small it is. lol   For a Mandalorian version of Slave-1 when it was rumored I was sincerely hoping for a slightly larger model than the previous anniversary edition with a multiple person cockpit as well as seats for a rotating interior.

Now it looks like things are going to get even smaller.  They are using the 1999 2 x 4 brick as a carbonite slab in the latest model rather than the molded one due to the size.  It's awkward. 

I want... 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/pickup-truck-10290

The truck does look cool!

20 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Now YOU are the bad influence!

ETA next Wednesday.

I sold the other one for way more than what Target is asking for it.  Back in December I think it was $29.99 to be honest. 

I still have one that I put to the side for now.   I didn't include it in my FS thread this last weekend... but ... I cannot keep it all and if I ordered the Bugle... and we are five months away from another modular house... 

Time to tidy up some more of the collections. 

Working from home made me do some deep soul searching lol 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I sold the other one for way more than what Target is asking for it.  Back in December I think it was $29.99 to be honest. 

I still have one that I put to the side for now.   I didn't include it in my FS thread this last weekend... but ... I cannot keep it all and if I ordered the Bugle... and we are five months away from another modular house... 

Time to tidy up some more of the collections. 

Working from home made me do some deep soul searching lol 

Oh yes, I’ve sold off a bunch of stuff over the last 16 months.

Hasbro have teased the next HasLab project by flashing a Transformers Victory logo. Victory Saber? 

58 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Hasbro have teased the next HasLab project by flashing a Transformers Victory logo. Victory Saber? 

yes... although Galactus is right around the corner as well. 

On 7/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, Buzzetta said:

I did not buy Galvatron but I know that a sizable number of the arms were assembled incorrectly and shipped out.  So if you are opening, check the arms at the shoulder.   There are some self fix it tutorials online for him to disassemble and then fix it... but... yeah. 

Yeah, I’ve seen the hubbub over on the TFW2005 forums. Mine are indeed the misassembled version, but honestly I don’t really mind. I’ve seen a couple of tutorials, and the risk of stress marks/breakage are enough that I’m just going to leave it alone. The difference isn’t really big enough for me to care that much. I’ll just consider him to be a “bumpy shoulder variant”. ;)

11 hours ago, SeanYork said:

Great pickups.  I remember grabbing a bunch of those thrilling 30 bots when they originally transitioned to store discount shelves.

See, I really missed out on a lot of stuff, and am now playing catch up. I was a big G1 fan, and also enjoyed Beast Wars, but had pretty much slept on all of the Unicron Trilogy and CHUG stuff. It was the IDW phase 2 books that reignited my interest in TF, and then War for Cybertron really kicked it into overdrive. So now I’m going backwards to grab the stuff I want, which I primarily TFTM cast, and Lost Light crew. I’m getting closer, but there’s still so much cool stuff!

7 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

You know... I stopped even looking in the direction of MP Transformers... but... 

What does Haslab think it is going to say about a Star Saber that has not already been said with the MP that was released? 

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/11668

image.png.60a9329dbef58f6124ef0cd1e36bd797.png

Anyone see these upcoming G.I. Joe figures?

Gi-Joe-Ultimates.thumb.jpg.e3c0929c61e94ef8e991a73219d93f65.jpg

I don't get it though. These aren't from Hasbro but Super7. They cost $55 per figure. And it's a pre-order figure line with orders arriving in the Spring of 2022. The pre-order will be open for one month and that will be all the figures they produce. So this is an adult figure line. But still it sucks for people who will want to wait to see how far the line will go.

I don't see why they didn't include a female character for Cobra and the Joes. They have to know that Sideshow couldn't even make a Scarlett figure. They should have started with Scarlett and Duke or Snake Eyes. Then Cobra Commander and Baroness. Or start with six figures instead of four. Still with basically a year per line I assume. This will take far too long to finish any sort of decent line up. And too much as well.

They are making smaller smaller figures with basically the same design. But I'm probably nostalgic for the old Toys R Us setup when you would see basically all the figures in one place. And it was just a matter of having the money to get all of them.

The good thing is this gave me an idea on how to do a future G.I. Joe line. But Hasbro would probably never do it. They do have a new cartoon supposedly coming out next year. But everything is just all over the place with G.I. Joe. I would be surprised if it's as good as Resolute.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had to go back and take a look at the detolfs.....

I can never figure good enough lighting for it, that 1) doesnt require a plug and 2) lasts a while....

Ige got a few things crammed into one, but making it classy is my goal. I'm same as you, not as handy, although I havent really looked either lol

I have some boards I use for shelving but havent bothered to stain or paint yet either.

Sometimes it's a like projects just last over time, and like good comic finds you stumble upon what you're looking for....

The key is to always be looking. :tink:There is so much available!

Check statue collectors on youtube. I believe a bunch of them have lights with those display cases.

Edited by GeneticNinja

Someone on Reddit found a placeholder for a Galactus Haslab project listing on the Hasbro Pulse web site for $400.  It'll probably be announced later today.

a66e681713104ad8684a1911684e969d.jpg