• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,365 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, followtheleader said:

I had a couple Battle Cats in the aforementioned box.

Noticed the date on one as 1976.  Instantly piqued my interest as that was long before heman and differs from the 1983 on the others.

Again, appears to be an early version.  Odd and interestingly, they put white pupils on the 76 versions but not later.  Couldn't have cost much or been timely, but makes sense as the face is covered by the helm.

Patrick

20210830_132146.jpg

If you watch the Netflix special "by the power of grey skull "

When they went to do figures, someone brought in the cat that they already made in the 70's, and he said "perfect make, make it two colors and give it stripes"

Anyway lol

It's about an hour and half long, and I didnt sit through all of it. When he chose that they already had in production they thought he was crazy cause of the proportions and sizes, but he replied that's "what he was affer" and that "no one would care or notice" something like that 

I'm sure you've heard of that or know, but the Netflix show is fun to confirm :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you watch the Netflix special "by the power of grey skull "

When they went to do figures, someone brought in the cat that they already made in the 70's, and he said "perfect make, make it two colors and give it stripes"

Anyway lol

It's about an hour and half long, and I didnt sit through all of it. When he chose that they already had in production they thought he was crazy cause of the proportions and sizes, but he replied that's "what he was affer" and that "no one would care or notice" something like that 

I'm sure you've heard of that or know, but the Netflix show is fun to confirm :)

That's correct, it was originally from Big Jim.  

Turns out mine is the 2nd earliest. 

Earliest Battle Cat has stripes on the tail and upper back.  Appears to be quite rare.  

Patrick

maxresdefault.jpg

On 9/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, followtheleader said:

That's correct, it was originally from Big Jim.  

Turns out mine is the 2nd earliest. 

Earliest Battle Cat has stripes on the tail and upper back.  Appears to be quite rare.  

Patrick

maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome!

I remember going to an estate sale a couple of years ago,  and waiting outside I see a battle cat on the steps to the front door or porch. I'm still new to it and saw the date on it and set it back down. When I'm first in the door, well eventually I ask about it, but I wasn't convinced it was from Heman and even though it was only$5 I passed on it lol

I mean, I know Heman and battle cat, but I didnt have these types of toys growing up and the date threw me off lol

It pays to learn, and not all knowledge is free, it's the experience, hunt and nostalgia that I enjoy about collecting :)

I learned something new, and that's something I'm thankful for and to be around here on the boards! 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was going through some boxes and came across a bag of some Star Wars figures.

Any of these worth more than a few bucks?

0BEAAE5B-ED2B-4967-B80D-A0F494B029A1.jpeg

89099AA7-0E7C-443E-99AA-2402D6D592C1.jpeg

2nd Picture bottom four are vintage SW figure

Rebel Commander 

Rebel Soldier

Death Star Droid

Rebel Soldier 

Most everything else is POTF2 from 1995-1997

The first figure in the top row on the left in the first photo is not a Star Wars figure. 

I forgot I ordered this from Walmart earlier this year.

Could not be any more disappointed in the new upgrade of a figure. 

It uses the recent vintage collection Endor body with a new photo real face sculpt.  The face is a dead on likeness in scale but the original version is better.  Yes, I opened him.  It's okay that the helmet does not come off, but the gun pays homage to the vintage 85' version and not the Luke blaster that we are familiar with.  The cloak is made from the cheapest material short of a sandwich bag I have ever seen.  The "belt" is an elastic black band.

The older version that came out well over a decade ago used a Jedi Luke fully articulated body with a soft goods vest and then a cloth poncho over it.  The figure had an actual belt that could holster the pistol and a removable helmet. 

I might kit bash the figure between the two with a Luke head from a different later. 

hm 

65240025166__8652A6A1-DDFA-4BB5-9576-6FBDF1C9BAE1.jpeg

On 8/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, Buzzetta said:

I strongly recommend staying away from AFA Joes.

With that said, I would pay attention to three places where they are sold on a regular basis: 

Hakes

eBay 

Facebook Group GI Joe 1982-1994 

You can get a decent gauge on what they sell for by looking up realized auctions and BINs and to see what things were offered for in the FB Group.

Again last summer I almost caved and bought one and when I looked at the figure closely I noticed that the elbows were cracked.  The subgrade for the figure was the usual 85, but there was no way given the split elbows that the grade was still true.  We have seen the figures where the rubber band snaps on the graded piece leaving a floppy figures sealed on the card, but the broken elbows were alarming because it means that the plastic itself had further degraded. 

Just be careful. 

Knowing what we know about the issues with collecting MOC Joes, I've been really surprised at the increasing AFA prices the last couple years.  

On 9/4/2021 at 11:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Toys were built well in the 80s too with transformers and hemant etc

Oh geez, unfortunately not a number of the early Transformers in particular, the Diaclone stuff. Take the Bluestreak mold for instance, so common to find it with the roof snapped off because it's held in place by a clear plastic piece less than a centimetre wide, and there's plenty of others like it. They improved in later years, but the ones we tend to remember most we also tend to gloss over their major breakage issues. 

On 9/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Oh geez, unfortunately not a number of the early Transformers in particular, the Diaclone stuff. Take the Bluestreak mold for instance, so common to find it with the roof snapped off because it's held in place by a clear plastic piece less than a centimetre wide, and there's plenty of others like it. They improved in later years, but the ones we tend to remember most we also tend to gloss over their major breakage issues. 

ya lol 

I got to thinking about it after I posted, even Joe's tend to snap or so I've heard, bad examples on my part :foryou: 

On 9/5/2021 at 1:47 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya lol 

I got to thinking about it after I posted, even Joe's tend to snap or so I've heard, bad examples on my part :foryou: 

Eh, we all have our rose-coloured glasses for those days, and at times gloss over just how poorly some of their construction was. It's easy to get lost in our nostalgia. 

:smile:

On 8/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, comicwiz said:

There is a group on FB called DOND. I know you said you won't FB, but dude, you're missing out. Another member of these forums is in the group as well. The format is great because it's offer based, you don't have to accept any deal unless the right offer is made. Entry is based on a vouch system, so if you're interested PM me and we can get the ball rolling.

For now I put them back in the cabinet.  I will definitely be in touch if I decide to sell them though.  But seriously though, thanks again. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, Nic8612 said:

I also got in on the Sentinel last year and just got a notification that it shipped today :)

Did it actually ship, or did they just create a label?  For 95% of us we're sitting at the label stage.  Takes quite a while to box up and slap labels on 22,000 boxes.

I've got three coming, and all three are still in the label stage as is true for most of us.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:31 PM, Dark Knight said:

Looks like it will be in production since we exceeded the target # :banana:  I'll probably also going to pre-order SS when it's up

What do you mean pre-order SS?  Does that mean Silver Surfer or something else?  They're unlikely to release another Silver Surfer since they just released one three years ago and again included with Haslab Galactus.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, fantastic_four said:

Did it actually ship, or did they just create a label?  For 95% of us we're sitting at the label stage.  Takes quite a while to box up and slap labels on 22,000 boxes.

I've got three coming, and all three are still in the label stage as is true for most of us.

Yea, turns out it's just the label so far. Waiting patiently now for updates :-p

There have been a few in-hand pictures popping up online the last day or two though, so hopefully we get ours soon!