• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,393 posts in this topic

That is a nicer Kup deco than the SS86 one. Wish I'd waited. Rhinox is pretty good, but I have an irrational love for the Thrilling 30 version too. 

I've mostly stayed away from Revelations, and only bought Man-At-Arms. I always try and buy MAA in the main lines at least. I was very happy with him. Did what it said on the tin, so to speak. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, Cat said:

That is a nicer Kup deco than the SS86 one. Wish I'd waited. Rhinox is pretty good, but I have an irrational love for the Thrilling 30 version too. 

I've mostly stayed away from Revelations, and only bought Man-At-Arms. I always try and buy MAA in the main lines at least. I was very happy with him. Did what it said on the tin, so to speak. 

Yeah, it's really odd that they selected Kup for a re-deco this quickly, even if it is superior to the SS86 version. The SS86 is still hanging on the pegs, it's not like he was ever difficult to find. Oh well. I wanted to get two eventually anyway, so I could display one with my recreation of the TFTM poster, and another for a "battle" scene with Sharkticons, so I think I'll put this new one with the poster lineup, and stick the old one with Hot Rod. 

Rhinox is going to end up costing me a lot more than $15. When Kingdom started, I picked up Megatron and Dinobot, but ultimately decided that I wasn't going to collect the Beast Wars stuff, and ended up selling them. But now that I have Rhinox, I can feel myself sliding back into the grip of BW, and have been pricing the ones I'd need to get caught back up. It's a slippery slope!

The only Revelations figures I'd picked up so far were Skeletor, He-man, Skelegod, and Battle Cat, all of which I picked up at 50% sales around Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I wasn't going to pursue the entire line, but I think I'll cherry pick the ones I like best. Evil Lyn was down to $14 on Amazon, so I may grab a couple of those, and I've got my eyes on the Deluxe Tri Klops and Trap Jaw sets. It looks like the Masterverse line is going to branch out beyond Revelations, so there could be some cool random figures that call out to me, down the line.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Got an Aero Viper to complete my Condor. Just missing 4 bombs. Condor is pretty massive with the wingspan almost the size of the length. I had to separate the two pieces to fit in the case.

98B22589-0410-4E9B-B132-F58873B3F5CC.jpeg

2357BCC8-BAF4-423A-B96B-D0D5D21EF783.jpeg

DA6778C5-B7F2-4FBB-9B89-FEECCD71C32E.jpeg

Awesome! I've always thought it was a very underrated vehicle from that era.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

In hand it's really fun. The bomb mechanism is really cool.

I also enjoy it.  It's not the core 80s vehicle, but it was a fun and simple idea. 

The Aero Viper is not an easy figure to get in good shape.  Good score.

Years ago, I posted a sealed version on here.   People thought it was nothing special. 

Patrick

Deep Discount has some crazy good deals on MotU stuff right now. A lot of toys are on clearance, PLUS you can use code "Lucky" for an additional 15% off.

Lots of good stuff, the first wave of Masterverse figures are about $7 a pop, Wind Raider and Stridor from origins for about $10, and Castle Grayskull for $41.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/mattel-collectible-masters-of-the-universe-origins-5-5-castle-grayskull-playset-he-man-motu/887961960242

So, great prices, plus the extra 15% is very helpful. Shipping is also very low, usually only about $2 for smaller order, I paid $7 for the Castle Grayskull.

I ran across the sale thanks to the TFW2005 forums. Apparently there were several Transformers on sale, including Commander Rodimus for about $25! I missed that, only scored a Tigatron for $10. There are also a handful of Marvel Legends for about $7, and a bunch of the 3.75 retro Marvel figures for $3.99.

Definitely worth a look! Happy hunting!

PS: It's worth noting that sometimes things will sell out faster than the inventory tracker can keep up with, so there are occasionally cancelation notices. So I'd say nothing is guaranteed until you are charged and shipped. But I've almost always had success, so it's well worth taking the gamble.

UPDATE: Most of my order was canceled. Ah well, such is life. 

Edited by F For Fake

From JediTempleArchives

Hasbro Announces Yet Another Price Hike

Posted by Thomas on April 21, 2022 at 11:09 PM

Earlier this week Hasbro released their quarterly earnings report for Q1 2022. Overall revenue is up by 4% compared to Q1/2021, but net earnings declined by almost 50% and profit is down by 19%. You can probably guess what that means.
Nothing specific was said about Star Wars, other than that the Star Wars segment grew in Q1/2022, alongside Marvel and Ghosbusters, this after 70% growth in 2020 and even more growth in 2021. So even though you may never find anything in stores, the stuff seems to be selling online at least. Star Wars is selling!

But Hasbro is already warning that due to the war in the Ukraine and an end to Hasbro’s business in Russia they will lose about $100 million in revenues from everyone’s favorite country. And Hasbro also made an announcement about having to increase prices yet again around mid-year.

kevin-610x321.jpg

That look on your face when you read the news

Since profit and earnings are down because of shipping costs, inflation and overall increased production costs Hasbro also announced that they will need to raise prices around mid-year. The Marvel Legends figure line had a price increase announced just two days ago, Star Wars action figures will certainly see yet another price hike in a few weeks. Hasbro also warned that ongoing lockdowns in China resulted in factory closures (yet again), on top of that the most important trade port of China, Shanghai, is still under lockdown currently and that makes shipping a nightmare. But Hasbro is currently “advancing delivey of key items” for the holiday season. If Star Wars action figures are “key items” is anyone’s guess.

If you want to know more you can read Hasbro’s earnings report, their powerpoint presentation, or the Motley Fool earnings call transcript.

So, how much are you willing to pay for Star Wars action figures? When will you reach your limit and say “no”? Or will you keep buying, no matter what? Would you buy $30 TBS figures or $20(+) TVC figures? Maybe even in plastic-free packaging?

Despite everything Hasbro’s stock rose after their earnings report. This is how Wallstreet ticks.

I feel it’s time to become even more selective about what I buy. I already ignore all repaints, all the gimmick sublines, the comic book figures, Gaming Greats, most deluxe figures and maybe it’s now time to also ignore the bad kitbashes and to only buy the occasional all new figure that actually looks great. What will you do?

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

From JediTempleArchives

Earlier this week Hasbro released their quarterly earnings report for Q1 2022. Overall revenue is up by 4% compared to Q1/2021, but net earnings declined by almost 50% and profit is down by 19%. You can probably guess what that means.
Nothing specific was said about Star Wars, other than that the Star Wars segment grew in Q1/2022, alongside Marvel and Ghosbusters, this after 70% growth in 2020 and even more growth in 2021. So even though you may never find anything in stores, the stuff seems to be selling online at least. Star Wars is selling!

But Hasbro is already warning that due to the war in the Ukraine and an end to Hasbro’s business in Russia they will lose about $100 million in revenues from everyone’s favorite country. And Hasbro also made an announcement about having to increase prices yet again around mid-year.

kevin-610x321.jpg

Since profit and earnings are down because of shipping costs, inflation and overall increased production costs Hasbro also announced that they will need to raise prices around mid-year. The Marvel Legends figure line had a price increase announced just two days ago, Star Wars action figures will certainly see yet another price hike in a few weeks. Hasbro also warned that ongoing lockdowns in China resulted in factory closures (yet again), on top of that the most important trade port of China, Shanghai, is still under lockdown currently and that makes shipping a nightmare. But Hasbro is currently “advancing delivey of key items” for the holiday season. If Star Wars action figures are “key items” is anyone’s guess.

If you want to know more you can read Hasbro’s earnings report, their powerpoint presentation, or the Motley Fool earnings call transcript.

So, how much are you willing to pay for Star Wars action figures? When will you reach your limit and say “no”? Or will you keep buying, no matter what? Would you buy $30 TBS figures or $20(+) TVC figures? Maybe even in plastic-free packaging?

Despite everything Hasbro’s stock rose after their earnings report. This is how Wallstreet ticks.

I feel it’s time to become even more selective about what I buy. I already ignore all repaints, all the gimmick sublines, the comic book figures, Gaming Greats, most deluxe figures and maybe it’s now time to also ignore the bad kitbashes and to only buy the occasional all new figure that actually looks great. What will you do?

Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

It is clear that there are lots of people willing to pay above the retail value for many of the figures they are currently producing (just look at the secondary market for them). 

The supply chain for the consumer is part of the problem IMO. Most of the most desirable figures are sold out or unavailable on local pegs / online retailers instantly. And, if you want one you have to resort to the secondary market and often pay crazy mark ups. If they could somehow figure out how to get the figures on pegs / online retailers inventory they could certainly mark up prices. 

I collect mainly G.I. Joe now a days so my comments here are mainly from what I have seen in that market.  

Edited by 707comics

On 4/22/2022 at 2:37 AM, bikesnbuses said:

Im just gonna put these pictures here and walk away..Lets see who the first person is to know what my new Mego ACTUALLY is...:whistle:

20220420_134409.jpg

20220420_134424.jpg

"Franken" Captain America. Great find, doesn't look like too many exist! I have certainly never seen one :)

http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?119541-quot-Kitchen-Sink-quot-Capt-America
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/holy-grail-vintage-1979-mego-franken-1921286335

On 4/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, 707comics said:

^^

On 4/23/2022 at 6:45 AM, Buzzetta said:

From JediTempleArchives

kevin-610x321.jpg

On BBTS, which as an Aussie is my lifeline, they're already $29USD for ML and SW Black regular figures, and I honestly don't think I can go much further unless it's product I REALLY want. What these price increases have done is had the unintended side-effect of pushing me onto higher end product from other companies, where I actually feel like I'm getting far better value for my money, and in my mind treated with more respect. 

I'm enjoying playing in this new pool, and while I may be making fewer purchases, I'm far happier with the product I do receive, and am more likely to share it with friends and, if you will, 'show it off'. It makes me happier all round. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:57 PM, Cat said:

On BBTS, which as an Aussie is my lifeline, they're already $29USD for ML and SW Black regular figures, and I honestly don't think I can go much further unless it's product I REALLY want. What these price increases have done is had the unintended side-effect of pushing me onto higher end product from other companies, where I actually feel like I'm getting far better value for my money, and in my mind treated with more respect. 

I'm enjoying playing in this new pool, and while I may be making fewer purchases, I'm far happier with the product I do receive, and am more likely to share it with friends and, if you will, 'show it off'. It makes me happier all round. 

That's my mindset all around.  I cannot tell you how many times I have picked up something and asked myself the following:

Do I really want to spend money on this?

If I grow bored of it, is selling it going to be too much of a hassle to sell? 

Do I want to dedicate the space to this? 

What could I be spending this money on? 

Not much has been purchased this year and with good reason. 

I mean Transformers wise, Skids arrived from a 2021 preorder but that is because I like Skids.   I am also looking forward to Cosmos and if they produce a Studio Series Snarl.   That's it.

GI Joe?  I bought the Skystriker and the Snake Eyes v Stormshadow two pack.   I think I have 6" Stormshadow on order to go with my Snake Eyes 6" and those would be the only two I own.   Oh yeah, I have Stalker on preorder but might cancel it. 

Star Wars? Umm... I don't do the Black Series and when it comes to Vintage I have a couple of things on preorder but that's it.  (I forget what I have on preorder which is not a good sign.  There is not really anything that I need.  I am not buying vehicles or anything.)

Lego?  I bought the Pickup and the Modular as well as the 66' Batmobile.  I have stayed away from everything else.  I might might might give a hard look at the trains when they debut them as I am a sucker for a good Lego train.   I was tempted by the Ideas pirate ship and tempted by the Creator Castle, but I don't want to fill the house up.

I think as prices rise and it becomes more of a headache to unload this stuff when we want to upgrade, less will be purchased which is not good for the rank and file of the hobby. 

I don't much care about the price hikes for two reasons.  One is that these toys are mostly as cheap as they are because of cheap Chinese labor that if I mulled over too much I could easily decide is immorally exploitative.  I rationalize it by telling myself that I can't help it if China is still stuck in the throes of semi-Communism and that's not my fault, but I can't drill down too deeply into that without feeling guilty.  If you think THESE increases are steep watch what happens if China does the equivalent of what Russia is doing in Ukraine and decides to finally go into Taiwan.  That seems inevitable and likely to happen any year now, and if that happens wow, it could result in an economic blow none of us have ever felt if we sanction China.  They make everything we use!  It's going to get ugly once China finally carries through on re-absorbing Taiwan.

The second reason is that about 20 years ago someone suggested that if you want to keep collecting forever you should learn to fund your collection WITH your collection.  I could probably fund every Legends Hasbro will make for decades just by selling a few Silver age comics, but for now I avoid that by just buying multiples of figures I strongly feel will be highly desired in a year, two, or three.  So I do that regularly, and although I'm not fully funding my collection that way I'm funding about half.  So I'm not too worried about price increases knowing that instead of buying one of a popular figure like retro Spidey I buy two or three and sell the extras in a few years.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 4/23/2022 at 8:37 AM, fantastic_four said:

I don't much care about the price hikes for two reasons.  One is that these toys are mostly as cheap as they are because of cheap Chinese labor that if I mulled over too much I could easily decide is immorally exploitative.  I rationalize it by telling myself that I can't help it if China is still stuck in the throes of semi-Communism and that's not my fault, but I can't drill down too deeply into that without feeling guilty.  If you think THESE increases are steep watch what happens if China does the equivalent of what Russia is doing in Ukraine and decides to finally go into Taiwan.  That seems inevitable and likely to happen any year now, and if that happens wow, it could result in an economic blow none of us have ever felt if we sanction China.  They make everything we use!  It's going to get ugly once China finally carries through on re-absorbing Taiwan.

The second reason is that about 20 years ago someone suggested that if you want to keep collecting forever you should learn to fund your collection WITH your collection.  I could probably fund every Legends Hasbro will make for decades just by selling a few Silver age comics, but for now I avoid that by just buying multiples of figures I strongly feel will be highly desired in a year, two, or three.  So I do that regularly, and although I'm not fully funding my collection that way I'm funding about half.  So I'm not too worried about price increases knowing that instead of buying one of a popular figure like retro Spidey I buy two or three and sell the extras in a few years.

lol I just buy less. 

It puts further things into perspective.