• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,378 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2022 at 3:07 PM, wombat said:

IMG_4252.JPG

For $2 you get an extra, open it, hide it in the cabinet where the coffee mugs are so when someone else opens it at the crack of dawn to start their day, they are met with this little bundle of death pictured right there. 

It works.  I did it with Sanskar from the Spawn line when I was a kid. 

image.png.2d061f6345de19eab3e43267e4ec037d.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

For $2 you get an extra, open it, hide it in the cabinet where the coffee mugs are so when someone else opens it at the crack of dawn to start their day, they are met with this little bundle of death pictured right there. 

If only I would have found this when it was going for $2. But yeah, this could give someone a jump to their morning. 

My ragtag new TMNT collection is coming along nicely. I've got the full set of Super 7 turtles on the way, preorders paid for NECA TMNT2 Turtles, Tokka and Rahzar, have Super Shredder, a FOOT Soldier on the way, and a mate in the US just picked up Wingnut and Screwloose for me. It's an odd collection, but it's all my favourites. Next are Super 7 Ray Fillet and Metalhead. 

I don't know what the end result will be. It'll clash. But it'll make me happy, and that's all I care about. 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

From JediTempleArchives

Hasbro Announces Yet Another Price Hike

Posted by Thomas on April 21, 2022 at 11:09 PM

Earlier this week Hasbro released their quarterly earnings report for Q1 2022. Overall revenue is up by 4% compared to Q1/2021, but net earnings declined by almost 50% and profit is down by 19%. You can probably guess what that means.
Nothing specific was said about Star Wars, other than that the Star Wars segment grew in Q1/2022, alongside Marvel and Ghosbusters, this after 70% growth in 2020 and even more growth in 2021. So even though you may never find anything in stores, the stuff seems to be selling online at least. Star Wars is selling!

But Hasbro is already warning that due to the war in the Ukraine and an end to Hasbro’s business in Russia they will lose about $100 million in revenues from everyone’s favorite country. And Hasbro also made an announcement about having to increase prices yet again around mid-year.

kevin-610x321.jpg

That look on your face when you read the news

Since profit and earnings are down because of shipping costs, inflation and overall increased production costs Hasbro also announced that they will need to raise prices around mid-year. The Marvel Legends figure line had a price increase announced just two days ago, Star Wars action figures will certainly see yet another price hike in a few weeks. Hasbro also warned that ongoing lockdowns in China resulted in factory closures (yet again), on top of that the most important trade port of China, Shanghai, is still under lockdown currently and that makes shipping a nightmare. But Hasbro is currently “advancing delivey of key items” for the holiday season. If Star Wars action figures are “key items” is anyone’s guess.

If you want to know more you can read Hasbro’s earnings report, their powerpoint presentation, or the Motley Fool earnings call transcript.

So, how much are you willing to pay for Star Wars action figures? When will you reach your limit and say “no”? Or will you keep buying, no matter what? Would you buy $30 TBS figures or $20(+) TVC figures? Maybe even in plastic-free packaging?

Despite everything Hasbro’s stock rose after their earnings report. This is how Wallstreet ticks.

I feel it’s time to become even more selective about what I buy. I already ignore all repaints, all the gimmick sublines, the comic book figures, Gaming Greats, most deluxe figures and maybe it’s now time to also ignore the bad kitbashes and to only buy the occasional all new figure that actually looks great. What will you do?

Thanks for sharing. I'd read a couple of articles about this and watched some Youtube ranters as well. I haven't made any decisions yet, as far as how it will impact my spending. Of the affected lines, I only collect GI Joe and Transformers. With Classified, I have become a completist (though I'm still catching up on a few pieces from early in the line, as I was a late adopter), and with Transformers I pick and choose, focusing on 86 movie figures, and members of the Lost Light crew, So, we've seen the prices of Classified figures and deluxe Transformers go from $19.99, to $23, and now it'll be $30. That does sting, I'll admit. But it's still a relative bargain compared to many other toy lines, given the quality of the sculpts, paint work, etc. For mass market toys, Hasbro has been doing a pretty nice job with these lines.

So, I'll likely continue along my path, picking and choosing with Transformers, and keeping Classified complete, until such time as I find that untenable.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:40 AM, Buzzetta said:

lol 

Pics in the spoilers to see the current Metroplex that Hasbro is releasing.

image.thumb.png.42867702e39791fa5892ab58ef3192da.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.0e61d48f73f59081c8c6174b0220859a.png 

image.thumb.png.7083e9b1831e21219bf6cf2052631318.png

This release confused me, as I have no frame of reference for the character. I am a "Gee Wunner" for sure, although I do really love the IDW Phase 2 comics. So that's what I collect. The stretch of toy lines in between G2 and, say, Thrilling 30, are largely a mystery to me. I have never delved into the Energon, Armada, or any of the non-G1 cartoons (aside from Beast Wars). So, this is an easy pass. Hopefully someone out there wants it, and it sells well enough that we keep getting Titans. I want that Nemesis ship that they keep teasing on the box art!

On 4/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Finished a couple more Joe projects. I just got in the 91’ Cobra Wolf mail away. It has dark grey on the missile rack, engine cover, and ski-pedos, compared to the all light grey standard version. Full disclosure. I was short one ski-pedo so I painted a regular one.

16D20993-2941-41F6-B931-7315F1CBF60A.jpeg

98783E03-A895-4CA9-9A11-B46D7C699D04.jpeg

71DFCC3E-B5FF-460D-B5DD-F67E50D99E20.jpeg

Love it. The Wolf is one of my favorite vehicles, such great play value with the skis, ski-pedos, double canopy, turret gun, etc. Just a badass fun toy. I'm hoping I'll run across the mailaway in the wild, one day.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, F For Fake said:

Love it. The Wolf is one of my favorite vehicles, such great play value with the skis, ski-pedos, double canopy, turret gun, etc. Just a badass fun toy. I'm hoping I'll run across the mailaway in the wild, one day.

I use to have the Wolf and the Tiger Fly as a kid. Great toys! I was envious of my cousins dragonfly so it was great they rereleased it as tiger force. I got lucky with the mailaway. It was in a random lot missing almost all the accessories so probably everyone passed on it not realizing the subtle different color scheme.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I use to have the Wolf and the Tiger Fly as a kid. Great toys! I was envious of my cousins dragonfly so it was great they rereleased it as tiger force. I got lucky with the mailaway. It was in a random lot missing almost all the accessories so probably everyone passed on it not realizing the subtle different color scheme.

For sure, if you're not looking for that black missile launcher or torpedos, it's easy to pass it up.

New Mezco Doctor Doom announced today.  Looks pretty great, and comes with an insane array of accessories shown below (click for larger images).

https://dorksidetoys.com/collections/homepage/products/mezco-one-12-collective-marvel-doctor-doom-action-figure

x800-12972.jpg?v=1651069990 x800-12973.jpg?v=1651069994 x800-12974.jpg?v=1651069991 x800-12975.jpg?v=1651069993

On 4/27/2022 at 10:41 AM, Cocomonkey said:

It's plastic, so it counts! Picture of the box only showed it from one side (front), which didn't give a sense of the damage to the back (that, or it got a bit trashed in shipping). And it doesn't have the coupon book or sticker sheet that it came with originally (no idea how/if I'll be able to separately source those...). But still, the price was right.

IMG_0112.thumb.jpg.b2cf30e402980ace1a158c6dc828ba66.jpg

IMG_0113.thumb.jpg.6a17e7357503ceec297cf8fd7a04fe55.jpg

Oh wow, that's great! Just the sort of oddball stuff I like.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:51 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, it's really odd that they selected Kup for a re-deco this quickly, even if it is superior to the SS86 version. The SS86 is still hanging on the pegs, it's not like he was ever difficult to find. Oh well. I wanted to get two eventually anyway, so I could display one with my recreation of the TFTM poster, and another for a "battle" scene with Sharkticons, so I think I'll put this new one with the poster lineup, and stick the old one with Hot Rod. 

Rhinox is going to end up costing me a lot more than $15. When Kingdom started, I picked up Megatron and Dinobot, but ultimately decided that I wasn't going to collect the Beast Wars stuff, and ended up selling them. But now that I have Rhinox, I can feel myself sliding back into the grip of BW, and have been pricing the ones I'd need to get caught back up. It's a slippery slope!

The only Revelations figures I'd picked up so far were Skeletor, He-man, Skelegod, and Battle Cat, all of which I picked up at 50% sales around Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I wasn't going to pursue the entire line, but I think I'll cherry pick the ones I like best. Evil Lyn was down to $14 on Amazon, so I may grab a couple of those, and I've got my eyes on the Deluxe Tri Klops and Trap Jaw sets. It looks like the Masterverse line is going to branch out beyond Revelations, so there could be some cool random figures that call out to me, down the line.

You may want to check your Walmarts and Best Buys. The stores around me have clearanced all the of the Kingdom stuff.