• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,393 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

Do you have the Hasbro Classified Series version?  I'm curious how they compare.

Hasbro has done SO well with the Classified Series that I've been wondering if Super7 can really do any better at double the price point.  Usually smaller toy companies can't manage the articulation range that Hasbro and Mattel often get, and that's particularly true with the Classified Series since it features some of the best articulation Hasbro has ever done across all lines.

I'll let Whisp answer for himself, but I'll throw my two cents in: Classified is by far the better value. When you consider the paint apps and articulation, coming in at about half the price of a Ultimates figure, it's really no contest.

Super 7 has the advantage on size (they're considerably larger than Classified), on packaging (Super 7 has always been better at packaging than figures themselves, and their Ultimates are really gorgeous in bo), accessories are kind of a wash, as both lines tend to come with quite a few accessories, and of course, if you're a big fan of the Sunbow/cartoon aesthetic, Ultimates is the way to go. But at $55 it can be a tough pill to swallow, especially considering the lack of paint apps. Super 7 is increasingly relying on molded plastic instead of actual paint on flesh parts, and it leads to some lifeless looking figures. Also, the articulation is usually mediocre to poor, especially in comparison with the super-poseable Classified line.

When Ultimates are clearanced for $20-$30, i am all over them, they're great. But at $55, it's a pass until they go on sale. $220 for a wave of 4 figures is nuts. Get them down to around $100 or even $150, and I'm in. Classified is just a much better value, and arguably the best domestic toy line going these days. $25 or so for a super articulated, paint-heavy figure with tons of accessories, it doesn't get much better than that.

I do worry about the future of both the GI Joe and Transformers Ultimates lines, particularly TF. They both launched with a wildly diverse lineup of characters, each wave featuring a mainstay, but also some VERY obscure choices. However, with Transformers they very quickly moved into re-decos (we've now had THREE Starscreams in just FIVE Waves), and the waves are getting smaller (Wave 4 was down to three figures, Wave 5 is just two, and they're both repaints).

Joe seemed to be doing a bit better, as they continued to do unique figures in the waves, but the most recently announced wave is down to three figures, each a repaint. So, there may be cause for concern there as well. And I can only point to the price as the reason. If they could get these guys down in the NECA range, more like $35-$40, and keep up the unique character selection, I'd buy every one that they made, because I'm a cartoon-look guy through and through. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:47 AM, F For Fake said:

Super 7 has the advantage on size (they're considerably larger than Classified)

Oops...somehow I thought they were a 6-inch scale, but now I see they're 7-inch.  That's a deal-killer for me since I prefer to mix lines.  I usually put GI Joe figures in as civilians or Marvel SHIELD/HYDRA or DC ARGUS/Kobra agents.  I've mostly skipped McFarlane DC stuff due to the 7-inch scale.

Hasbro continues to kill it with the Classified Series.  LOVE their recent release of Mutt and Junkyard, picked it up this week mostly for the dog and it's just awesome.  Don't care for Mutt, but he's perfect for a random soldier or someone for heroes to punch in the face due to that great scowl.

66d798a4c66061b6161fd9944e0ce8df_1136_KR

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

Oh... @Bosco685 I forgot to post pics.  Since I took these pics it has already found space around Lego City... 

Space is becoming a hot commodity though... 

Don't know where Avengers Tower will go so that is still in the box to be built at a later date. 

Bugle is nice.  There are some aspects I would have changed and will be changing.  I would prefer a "non cracked" sidewalk to match up to the rest of the regular modulars and the Marvel ones.  I may "fix" the broken window since all the parts are there to make it a smooth facade. 

I do like the simulation of a non-working elevator.  

No I did not do stickers.  They did not need them.  There was a lot of interesting building techniques and I like a lot of the subtle references to Spider-man lore.  Peter's office is near perfect from the cartoon and he is even on a storage floor. The only sticker I was tempted to put in Peter's "office" was of the Spiderman head to recreate the meme. 

This might be the only way to get a Punisher minifgure. 

Aunt May? Check. Gwen Stacy?  Check.  Mary Jane?  I guess the Lego designers were not fans.  I have an extra so not the greatest tragedy.  

Standout parts of the build were how they did Sandman and the inclusion of the Spider-Buggy.  The nice thing is that those lines on the side of the building are pieces originally used for battery operated trains.  Those are the railway tracks from the 1960's and 1970's.  It was nice to see the mold still around. and in use. 

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9988.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9994.JPG

IMG_9995.JPG

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing hardcore Lego fan.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When you're dead but your family starts talking about selling your LEGO'

On 2/16/2024 at 9:13 AM, fantastic_four said:

Oops...somehow I thought they were a 6-inch scale, but now I see they're 7-inch.  That's a deal-killer for me since I prefer to mix lines.  I usually put GI Joe figures in as civilians or Marvel SHIELD/HYDRA or DC ARGUS/Kobra agents.  I've mostly skipped McFarlane DC stuff due to the 7-inch scale.

Hasbro continues to kill it with the Classified Series.  LOVE their recent release of Mutt and Junkyard, picked it up this week mostly for the dog and it's just awesome.  Don't care for Mutt, but he's perfect for a random soldier or someone for heroes to punch in the face due to that great scowl.

66d798a4c66061b6161fd9944e0ce8df_1136_KR

Mutt and Junkyard were my very first Joes, so they will always have a place in my heart. And this Classified set is really terrific.

Yeah, Supet 7 Ultimates are really only in scale with themselves, and even then it's kind of a crapshoot. You really can't display them with any other line, though you can intermingle the various Super 7 Ultimates (Joes, Silverhawks, Turtles, etc) to a certain extent.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

Do you have the Hasbro Classified Series version?  I'm curious how they compare.

Hasbro has done SO well with the Classified Series that I've been wondering if Super7 can really do any better at double the price point.  Usually smaller toy companies can't manage the articulation range that Hasbro and Mattel often get, and that's particularly true with the Classified Series since it features some of the best articulation Hasbro has ever done across all lines.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e78be3340c31794b9b4c2e2bc243bd7.jpeg

Each figure has their own style.  Classified is suppose to be an updated version on the old figure.  They then did the retro because people wanted a more true to his style.   They still missed things like no Nunchacu on both of those and should have been a longbow instead of the compound bow..  To me they are both ok figures.  The Super 7 figure overall I am happy with.  Should have added some tails for the belt.  The Super 7 is more to being as close to the original in which case they combined also story elements from the comic, cartoon and original figure.  Excalibur actually glows in the dark.  Has Nunchacku and original style Longbow.  It then has story elements such as the diving head and Excalibur which was from Season 1 Episode 35 of the cartoon.

Has forearm with torn wraps and tattoo which is from G.I. Joe ARAH #21.

image.jpeg.00518d5b4128aa151021fc0dda9c9c8a.jpeg

The sniper rifle is from G.I. Joe ARAH #24

image.jpeg.838b75a367db2e77076061237786ba25.jpeg

In the end it is all up to what a person wants.  I do think though Super 7 figures should be like the $50 cdn mark.  That's what they usually drop too.  Overall I am happy. 

Edited by whisp

On 2/16/2024 at 8:47 AM, F For Fake said:

Super 7 is increasingly relying on molded plastic instead of actual paint on flesh parts, and it leads to some lifeless looking figures.

Don't know about other figures but this storm shadow was painted skin.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:14 AM, F For Fake said:

Mutt and Junkyard were my very first Joes, so they will always have a place in my heart. And this Classified set is really terrific.

Yeah, Supet 7 Ultimates are really only in scale with themselves, and even then it's kind of a crapshoot. You really can't display them with any other line, though you can intermingle the various Super 7 Ultimates (Joes, Silverhawks, Turtles, etc) to a certain extent.

Wouldn't be the first time though a company did 7".  McFarlane Toys where 7" Figures.  

On 2/16/2024 at 11:49 AM, whisp said:

Don't know about other figures but this storm shadow was painted skin.

Oh, that's good to know, maybe they course corrected after wave 2. Flint and Lady Jaye both went without, which was a big letdown after Duke in the first wave. This is good news!

On 2/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, whisp said:

Wouldn't be the first time though a company did 7".  McFarlane Toys where 7" Figures.  

Thinking about McFarlane makes me sad. :( Hope they give up the DC license soon, but it seems unlikely. Their stuff is really terrible these days.

On 2/16/2024 at 3:12 PM, F For Fake said:

Thinking about McFarlane makes me sad. :( Hope they give up the DC license soon, but it seems unlikely. Their stuff is really terrible these days.

The Super Powers line seems to be pretty popular and well-received from what all my friends have been saying and posting.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, whisp said:

...not to mention the big uproar when DC Direct starting producing their own figures and they were 7" scale.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing hardcore Lego fan.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When you're dead but your family starts talking about selling your LEGO'

At this point between the comics and the Lego, at least I know the Lego was not tampered with. 

On 2/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

The Super Powers line seems to be pretty popular and well-received from what all my friends have been saying and posting.

Only for the MOST obscure and colorful characters.  I got the Charlton 3-pack with Vigilante, Judo Master and Peacemaker.  They're composed of too many pieces and don't look "sculpted".  I have not been a fan of any of the faces of the characters without masks or helmets.  I'll grab a Deathstroke if I see him for less than $10.

Oh, and if they don't have Garcia-Lopez card-art - forgetaboutit!

On 2/16/2024 at 4:10 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

You're absolutely right, I will partially walk back my comment. I'm specifically referring to his 7" DC Multiverse figures. The Super Powers figures are a lot of fun and priced reasonably, and though I don't collect them, the Batman 66 line is pretty neat. But his mainline DC figures have me very nostalgic for Mattel and DC Direct.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:02 PM, Buzzetta said:

@whisp

Are they offering this in Canada? 

Walmart Retro Classified Stormshadow is back up on Hasbro Pulse. 

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/back-in-stock/products/g-i-joe-classified-series-storm-shadow-action-figure-2

I forget where I saw the information but it was said that the retro card backs will be available to Canadians.  In an earlier post I showed how Amazon while it says out of stock now has a listing for the Storm Shadow and you can add to cart and get the when in stock notifications for the Canadian site.  Crossing fingers on that one.  However some of the other retro card backs are appearing as well such as the card back Snake Eyes.  

Edited by whisp

For those after the GIJOE Ultimates, BBTS has Wave 1 on special today for $132, which is about a hundred bucks off I think? 

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/170463?o=1

On 2/17/2024 at 11:45 AM, whisp said:

I forget where I saw the information but it was said that the retro card backs will be available to Canadians.  In an earlier post I showed how Amazon while it says out of stock now has a listing for the Storm Shadow and you can add to cart and get the when in stock notifications for the Canadian site.  Crossing fingers on that one.  However some of the other retro card backs are appearing as well such as the card back Snake Eyes.  

I opened my Snake Eyes so it was not a deal breaker, but everyone I know who received it directly from Walmart got their sample mangled.  Mine came boxed and it was still mangled. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

I opened my Snake Eyes so it was not a deal breaker, but everyone I know who received it directly from Walmart got their sample mangled.  Mine came boxed and it was still mangled. 

I haven't owned one of the retro card back yet but my understanding was that the card stock is flimsy and thin.